I designed and 3d printed my lens hood

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Tiago C

Marketplace
This is not the most popular time for lens hoods (thanks, Steve 🙃) but here it goes.

I designed and printed this lens hood for my use. A fun home project intersecting various interests.
When compared with the original hood, this one is better at blocking stray light, is smaller, and has an integrated cap.

The compact size of the hood means I am less inclined to detach it for storage.

The integrated cap makes it quicker and easier to protect the lens when it’s not in use.
It’s also harder to lose and is one less accessory to keep in my pocket.
I also like that the cap sits further away from the front lens element.
Little magnets keep the cap steady when it’s flipped.

1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

2.jpg

4.jpg
5.jpg

6.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 3D printed lens hood for my Nikon 600 FL. It is about half the length of the original, so it does not catch the wind as much and is easier to manuever when shooting from a vehicle.

A video and a few more images:

Click to open video

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Last edited:
Theres no way covering that much of your front element isnt effecting image quality. Try posting 2 shots one with it on one without, same settings and try to include foreground and background blur. Im willing to bet its a full stop under exposed and the bokeh has an odd texture.

This is not the most popular time for lens hoods (thanks, Steve 🙃) but here it goes.

I designed and printed this lens hood for my use. A fun home project intersecting various interests.
When compared with the original hood, this one is better at blocking stray light, is smaller, and has an integrated cap.

The integrated cap makes it quicker and easier to protect the lens when it’s not in use.

View attachment 32573
View attachment 32574
View attachment 32576View attachment 32587

View attachment 32578
Cool stuff

@Tiago Cardoso GOOD GRIEF, Man! You're an inventor! Now work on a lens and camera to connect to your hood and soon we'll all be in line to purchase the Cardoso-9. Good job, Tiago, and, I'm kidding of course. Still, we can always dream...

View attachment 32573
View attachment 32574
View attachment 32576View attachment 32587

View attachment 32578
Is there much of a problem with vignetting ? 🦘

Thanks for all the comments.

I can confirm that there seems to be some light loss (not as much as you thought, @Wes Peterson ;) ), even across the image.
Clearly I missed some fundamentals of optical design but I am adjusting my parametric 3D model to increase the opening and hope to reprint soon.

It might not be the perfect shape but I think it demonstrates some opportunities with 3D printing. I'm quite happy about the hinged cap.
I will post images of the reprinted design once I have it.

Thanks

I can confirm that there seems to be some light loss (not as much as you thought, @Wes Peterson ;) ), even across the image.
Clearly I missed some fundamentals of optical design but I am adjusting my parametric 3D model to increase the opening and hope to reprint soon.

It might not be the perfect shape but I think it demonstrates some opportunities with 3D printing. I'm quite happy about the hinged cap.

Thanks
good luck with version 2

On prime lenses projecting the FOV from the maximum diameter of the objective element works well. Zoom lenses are trickier because the size of the field varies with focal length. The field is smaller at the objective element for shorter focal lengths. I think most of the zooms I've worked with have been constant aperture. Don't think I've tested a variable aperture lens but I will be soon.

To measure the limit of the hood to ensure no vignetting I made a gauge that mounts on the end of the lens with a flag I can pivot in. A protractor mounted on top allows me to draw the limit point in the CAD model to confirm I'm clearing the field. The center bits change out as those will be different for each lens.

I don't have a photo of it mounted on a lens, but i posted a video clip on IG. Click right to see it on the lens.
IMG_5355.JPG

I like the rare earth magnet to keep the flap open. Are you using magnet on both sides or magnet and steel? Solidworks? How did you determine the size of the rectangle?.

Last edited:

Thanks
3D printing is a godsend to photography.
There is a website that may help the design - they provide free printable hoods - http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/ 🦘

Back