I did it. Ordered the new Nikon 600....

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ssheipel

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Cancelled my order for the 800. I'm giving up beer so my kidneys are in top shape for resale to fund the new lens acquisition. Have wanted a 600 since I bought my D3. Likely should have gone that route when I bought the 180-400 (but LOVE that lens). Anyway, here's to a long wait so I can save some money -- don't really 'need' it until a planned month long trek in Canada's high arctic next August -- maybe I should take bets on whether it will ship by then :) And oh, I have NOT told my spouse the, ah, shift in just which lens exactly is coming :)
PS -- my camera store guys says I'm # 7 to have ordered, nationally, with them.

I have given it some thought. I got rid of all my F mount lens keeping only the 600 F4 & F-TE 1.4. The problem as I see is that If I keep jumping from one ship to another I'll never end up with a long. Lens. I ordered the 800 as soon as it was available for pre order knowing the I would have time to think about it..As I considered it I realized it wasn't for me so I cancelled. Then when the 400 f2.8 became available I ordered that. I'm not sure if the 400 f2.8 w/ TC 2.0 will meet my needs. If the 400 f2.8 w/TC 2.0 is as good as the F-600 w/TC1.4 then I'll be satisfied. If not then I'll sell the F-600 f4, and order the new 600. I'm really getting tired of the pre-order then wait a year situation...

I have given it some thought. I got rid of all my F mount lens keeping only the 600 F4 & F-TE 1.4. The problem as I see is that If I keep jumping from one ship to another I'll never end up with a long. Lens. I ordered the 800 as soon as it was available for pre order knowing the I would have time to think about it..As I considered it I realized it wasn't for me so I cancelled. Then when the 400 f2.8 became available I ordered that. I'm not sure if the 400 f2.8 w/ TC 2.0 will meet my needs. If the 400 f2.8 w/TC 2.0 is as good as the F-600 w/TC1.4 then I'll be satisfied. If not then I'll sell the F-600 f4, and order the new 600. I'm really getting tired of the pre-order then wait a year situation...
I agree. As I've rambled elsewhere on this forum, It's impossible to make a sound purchase decision when in fact there is no actual lens to purchase. I really enjoy the 500 pf and as I've got a new canoe I see that as my in the boat lens given its lightness. But I've shot a lot with it at 700mm and from that I've decided a 700 prime is often too much, so started to wonder about my use of the 800. Great to have that 700 when it's needed but I've spent a lot of time backing up :)

The only data I have on your future Z400mmTc + 2.0TC is a comparison I did with the 400E + Tc1.4III and my 800 f5.6 with D5s mounted on tripods side by side. The 400 + 2.0TC gave good usable images, but the 800 prime clearly had a 10% or more IQ edge. The Z TC are clearly better than the F versions, I have both, so the advantage of the Z600TC should not be as great. I suspect you will be happy with your choice.

I placed an order, and now every night while lying in bed I panic about the huge price tag and decide to cancel the order, only to change my mind in the morning. I don't "need" this lens. I don't "need" the 800 PF, either. Maybe I will keep whichever of the two gets shipped first and then will cancel the other order.

Cancelled my order for the 800. I'm giving up beer so my kidneys are in top shape for resale to fund the new lens acquisition. Have wanted a 600 since I bought my D3. Likely should have gone that route when I bought the 180-400 (but LOVE that lens). Anyway, here's to a long wait so I can save some money -- don't really 'need' it until a planned month long trek in Canada's high arctic next August -- maybe I should take bets on whether it will ship by then :) And oh, I have NOT told my spouse the, ah, shift in just which lens exactly is coming :)
I placed an order too, and I will sale my 800PF soon. Or should I keep it ? Don't know yet :unsure:

Sometimes I have convinced myself a pair of telephotos should be strictly partitioned, first and above all on focal lengths. But a 600 f4 TC paired with the 180-400 TC should work well together, across the minor overlap at 560/600 and complement each other well outside the "middle zone" in coverage.

I do not think that 2024 will be in play. I bought my 800E about a year after they were announced and it only took me a few days to track one down and a week later it was in my hands. I am now 3 days into my wait for the 600TC Z so I will be dealing with the wait with you.
I am joking of course re 2024. Maybe LOL Is that the f mount 800? I had to wait a month, maybe a bit more, for my 180-400 but that was a defined wait; the lens existed somewhere even as had to be assembled parts and just waiting for a boat ride from Japan to Canada :) That was simply just in time manufacturing for a high priced product most retailers didn't want lingering as inventory. I'm sure unless by some stroke of wild luck I get the new 600 in the first "shipping end of November 2022" release (which I won't 'cause I'm not NPS) it will be a 6 month wait at least, like the Z9 for me. I'm okay waiting; I don't NEED the lens. My order comes with a deposit so there's that, but my price for being in line. And as we all know it's not just Nikon. Friends trying to buy a new truck -- a model with marked upgrades from the previous several years models -- and the waiting time for delivery is likely to take them into the next model year's announcement AND no guarantee that when the truck arrives the price will be the same.... My camera retail guy and I are waiting to see if the 600 arrives before the 800 :) Congrats on ordering your 600; gonna be fun. See you in line :)

I placed an order, and now every night while lying in bed I panic about the huge price tag and decide to cancel the order, only to change my mind in the morning. I don't "need" this lens. I don't "need" the 800 PF, either. Maybe I will keep whichever of the two gets shipped first and then will cancel the other order.
I'm with you on the price panic, but somehow avoid advance buyer's regret :) I put deposits on my orders to get in line at my retailer so I thought of having both but instead just moved the deposit for the 800 to the 600 :) As I think I rambled about above I had started to question whether the 800 prime was for me as shooting at 700 (which I love) was in many situations too much reach (or not enough of course :) ). And I am addicted to the built in tc of the 180-400 so having it on a 600 is going to be very good. Anyway, breathe! :) Spend the wait time watching all the videos of the two lenses :)

I placed an order too, and I will sale my 800PF soon. Or should I keep it ? Don't know yet :unsure:
Now there's a totally different decision making scenario you've got. Me, I'd be wait ingto see what kind of numbers of the 600s ship "end of November" and you can then maybe get an idea of how long the wait will be (the newest speculation game LOL) and decided if you want to be without a long prime, or keep shooting with the 800 until the 600 arrives. Can't imagine the 800 will lose a whole lot of value; tho right now you could probably get above retail for it if you tried to sell it :) The fear of a long wait for me for the 600 is the 400 2.8 Z for which orders were stopped, along with the 800. I really think there's manufacturing issues (related to supply chain not quality assurance) going on preventing Nikon from producing the lenses.... Cheers!

Sometimes I have convinced myself a pair of telephotos should be strictly partitioned, first and above all on focal lengths. But a 600 f4 TC paired with the 180-400 TC should work well together, across the minor overlap at 560/600 and complement each other well outside the "middle zone" in coverage.
Agreed! And as I've kept my D6, pairing it with the native 180-400, alongside the Z9 and the 600.... I've got to get back to the gym so I can carry all that gear into the field :)

I bit the bullet and ordered one as well. I am still waiting on the 800 PF, which I ordered on announcement day. I decided to keep that order open as well. I assume that the 800 will come in first and I can use it a bit and decide if it will suit my needs. If it does, I will cancel the 600 order. After using the 800 for a bit, if I feel the 600 is really the one I want, I'll keep that on order and sell the 800 PF when the 600 arrives. If by some miracle the 600 arrives before the 800, I will just cancel the 800 order.

I would like any opinions based on what anyone has read or watched on comparing the 800mm PF S with the new 600mm.

Is the new 600mm optically better? Is it sharper? etc.

Aside from a f4.0 from an f6.3 and the built-in 1.4 TC is there any other substantive quality difference that would warrant a $9000 difference.

Thank you!

I bit the bullet and ordered one as well. I am still waiting on the 800 PF, which I ordered on announcement day. I decided to keep that order open as well. I assume that the 800 will come in first and I can use it a bit and decide if it will suit my needs. If it does, I will cancel the 600 order. After using the 800 for a bit, if I feel the 600 is really the one I want, I'll keep that on order and sell the 800 PF when the 600 arrives. If by some miracle the 600 arrives before the 800, I will just cancel the 800 order.
Yah, for me use case considerations the 600 gives me 600 at f4 -- I have 560 on the 180-400 but at 5.6 -- and the new 600 gives me 840 at 5.6 so making an 800 prime redundant in my bag.

I would like any opinions based on what anyone has read or watched on comparing the 800mm PF S with the new 600mm.

Aside from a f4.0 from an f6.3 and the built-in 1.4 TC is there any other substantive quality difference that would warrant a $9000 difference.

Thank you!

There'll be lots of pixel peeping comparisions available once final product 600s are in people's hands -- Ricci is great for that -- and you can rely on data not opinions. Price difference? My guess is that because pf lenses are ultimately 'cheaper' lenses as they manage the mm reach with less elements.... Cheers! Just checked Ricci does some comparisons re quality of the lens against the f mount 600, fyi.

Last edited:

Thank you!

600mm S TC f4
1667698308447.png

800mm S f6.3

1667698403334.png

What Nikon is telling us with their MTF charts.

Steven,
I'm happy for you making the purchase .Just know that's it won't happen for me because I can't afford a divorce to go along with it. Guess I will have a long wait before Tamron or Sigma can produce an affordable Z-Mount version.

Congrats on the purchase. If anyone has price anxiety, don’t think of the upfront cost as if it were lost and unrecoverable. At most it would be a thousand or two rental fee if you bought the lens but then decided to sell it within the first year or so. Frankly, with rental fees being as high as they are for super tele primes and lenses retaining their values as much as they do, it makes sense to buy, use, then sell off when done. Just trying to help. Haha

Good choice Steven -- and let us see how quickly each of us gets the lenses we ordered in our hands.
I am reached out to Karl Zemlin to help develop a hood and lens cap for this lens similar to the one he provides for the 400 and 800.
The originals and original leather hood for my 400 and 800 all live with the original lens feet in the Nikon box where I will not break them.
If anyone has the lens, digital calipers and would like to engage then please let me know.

Back