I did it. Ordered the new Nikon 600....

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Good choice Steven -- and let us see how quickly each of us gets the lenses we ordered in our hands.
I am reached out to Karl Zemlin to help develop a hood and lens cap for this lens similar to the one he provides for the 400 and 800.
The originals and original leather hood for my 400 and 800 all live with the original lens feet in the Nikon box where I will not break them.
If anyone has the lens, digital calipers and would like to engage then please let me know.
Good work re the hood and cap. I note the hood is smaller on this than the fmount version and Nikon (and Steve in his video too) points out that the new 600 with hood reversed will fit in an airline carryon size bag! Oh and I love the "where I will not break them." Clearly we have a lot in common :)

Steven,
I'm happy for you making the purchase .Just know that's it won't happen for me because I can't afford a divorce to go along with it. Guess I will have a long wait before Tamron or Sigma can produce an affordable Z-Mount version.
I hear yah! As I mentioned I did reveal to my spouse that I'd ordered the lens but only after cancelling another (which I may have neglected to overly state I'd ordered in the first place); no mention yet of the cost LOL The longer the wait, the longer I have to save for this lens :) Cheers!

Congrats on the purchase. If anyone has price anxiety, don’t think of the upfront cost as if it were lost and unrecoverable. At most it would be a thousand or two rental fee if you bought the lens but then decided to sell it within the first year or so. Frankly, with rental fees being as high as they are for super tele primes and lenses retaining their values as much as they do, it makes sense to buy, use, then sell off when done. Just trying to help. Haha
I have mentioned many times to my partner that resale of my camera gear will reap great income when I'm too old to use it.... Even I don't buy that, but it's a good story to help me justify the hobby buying :)

Good work re the hood and cap. I note the hood is smaller on this than the fmount version and Nikon (and Steve in his video too) points out that the new 600 with hood reversed will fit in an airline carryon size bag! Oh and I love the "where I will not break them." Clearly we have a lot in common :)

Correct the quoted dimensions for the Z600 are 1cm smaller diameter in the new lens -vs- the E-FL version. (new Z 600/4 TC -- the diameter of the lens is quoted to be 165mm - so slightly smaller than the AF-S 600/4 E -FL which was 166mm and obviously larger than the 2 other Z super lenses).

But we need to provide accurate measurements for the Zemlin solutions for the new lens -- hence the need for both lens and digital measurement tools.

I have Zemlin Hoods with Skids on them for both my other lenses and lens caps too. AND YES - having dropped a D5 with 400/2.8 attached, while on safari, which ripped the mount out of the D5 -- an insurance job -- I am legendary for my ability to drop, bash, scrape my gear in the "excitement" of the hunt/chase

WM-WM-20220930 154456  B0002029 - X2D 100C XCD 120 - 120 mm  ¹⁄₁₀₀ sec at ƒ - 4.5 ISO 200 ‒ 2 ...jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
WM-WM-20220930 154732  B0002033 - X2D 100C XCD 120 - 120 mm  ¹⁄₁₀₀ sec at ƒ - 4.5 ISO 200 ‒ 3 ...jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Correct the quoted dimensions for the Z600 are 1cm smaller diameter in the new lens -vs- the E-FL version. (new Z 600/4 TC -- the diameter of the lens is quoted to be 165mm - so slightly smaller than the AF-S 600/4 E -FL which was 166mm and obviously larger than the 2 other Z super lenses).

But as you can see from the attached (for the Z400) we need to provide accurate measurements for the Zemlin solutions for the new lens -- hence the need for both lens and digital measurement tools.

I have Zemlin Hoods with Skids on them for both my other lenses and lens caps too. AND YES - having dropped a D5 with 400/2.8 attached, while on safari, which ripped the mount out of the D5 -- an insurance job -- I am legendary for my ability to drop, bash, scrape my gear in the "excitement" of the hunt/chase

View attachment 48984View attachment 48985View attachment 48986

So felers don't be jelous 😂 Congrats Mr. ssheipel 🥂
Thanks. Told myself I'd forget about it until it arrives, but I'm already in 'can't wait' mode LOL

I would like any opinions based on what anyone has read or watched on comparing the 800mm PF S with the new 600mm.

Is the new 600mm optically better? Is it sharper? etc.

Aside from a f4.0 from an f6.3 and the built-in 1.4 TC is there any other substantive quality difference that would warrant a $9000 difference.

Thank you!

I saw in the Ricci video he showed comparison test images between the 600 and 800PF.
Between the 600/1.4TC and the 800PF it looked very close. Maybe slight edge to 600. The bare 600 lens seems to blow everything away.
Lens comparison shots start at 23:50 mark.

I saw in the Ricci video he showed comparison test images between the 600 and 800PF.
Between the 600/1.4TC and the 800PF it looked very close. Maybe slight edge to 600. The bare 600 lens seems to blow everything away.

His comment at 28:30 about the new Z 600 TC likely becoming his most used lens but then saying he wasn’t sure about that because a lot of things could happen in the next 12 months was pretty interesting. Haha

Congratulations! I added a 600F4 to my kit last year and it has taken my photography to a new level. I am sure you will love it and wonder how you ever lived without one.

PS by the time you get that lens your wife will have forgotten you ever ordered one lol.

I have mentioned many times to my partner that resale of my camera gear will reap great income when I'm too old to use it.... Even I don't buy that, but it's a good story to help me justify the hobby buying :)
My biggest problem, and it actually keeps me awake at night, is, that if anything happens to me , my wife will sell my camera gear for what I told her I paid for it.:ROFLMAO: !!!!!

Last edited:
Congratulations! I added a 600F4 to my kit last year and it has taken my photography to a new level. I am sure you will love it and wonder how you ever lived without one.

PS by the time you get that lens your wife will have forgotten you ever ordered one lol.
I doubt the forgetting bit :) Nikon Canada has a 600 f4 fmount in stock (or did a couple of weeks ago) and not sure what stopped me from ordering it.... Then this one was announced so I couldn't help myself as the decision had already been made at some level :) Glad your experience with the focal length is good; encouraging to hear!

His comment at 28:30 about the new Z 600 TC likely becoming his most used lens but then saying he wasn’t sure about that because a lot of things could happen in the next 12 months was pretty interesting. Haha
Yah Ricci's hints are always good for fuelling speculation! :)

I watched that the other day; love his reviews.

Back