I did something wrong - Z9 Firmware update

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Spins

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Last night I updated the firmware to 4.0. Once it was done, I went to shoot and the shutter sound was back on at full volume and my display settings were off. Somehow I managed to wipe out all my settings. I’ve made many firmware upgrades in the past with this and other cameras without issue.

This morning the camera displayed ’Folder contains no pictures’ on both my cards, but I checked on the computer and there were still files on them. I transferred the photos taken last night, did a full format, and now it works fine.

Any ideas of where I made a misstep so I don’t do it again? Since I’m starting from scratch I was wondering if I should do a full factory reset (and go buy Steve’s setup guide to save some time redoing it all).

Murphy’s Law, I’ve always saved my settings as a backup except for last month after completely changing a ton of things. 🙄

Last edited:
Last night I updated the firmware to 4.0. Once it was done, I went to shoot and the shutter sound was back on at full volume and my display settings were off. Somehow I managed to wipe out all my settings. I’ve made many firmware upgrades in the past with this and other cameras without issue.

This morning the camera displayed ’Folder contains no pictures’ on both my cards, but I checked on the computer and there were still files on them. I transferred the photos taken last night, did a full format, and now it works fine.

Any ideas of where I made a misstep so I don’t do it again? Since I’m starting from scratch I was wondering if I should do a full factory reset (and go buy Steve’s setup guide to save some time redoing it all).

Murphy’s Law, I’ve always saved my settings as a backup except for last month after completely changing a ton of things. 🙄
The default volume is now 3 and I had to go in and change mine back to 1 since this is a new sound menu set up in the set up menu.

I did not see any change in the display settings I use but there are new options.

Same for the volume. It happened to me.
Everyone in the public hide looked at the poor sod with the fancy mirrorless camera that had his sound so loud it sounded like a DSLR :)

No other things that I found had changed on my camera.

Same for the volume. It happened to me.
Everyone in the public hide looked at the poor sod with the fancy mirrorless camera that had his sound so loud it sounded like a DSLR :)

I was taking a picture of a bear. He didn’t seem to notice. 😁

Thank you everyone for the feedback. As I went though each item, it wasn’t everything. The sound, a shooting display and an FN button. Just the ones I was trying to use in the moment, of course. All fixed now, but I still don’t know why the cards glitched. I formatted both again as suggested and no problems at all yesterday.

Sounds like you are back to in business @Spins :cool:

For future reference for any who might be interested here are is my firmware update routine that I have used for a long time. They may or may not be useful. I am pretty anal about it but have been lucky enough to have avoided any firmware update issues for a long time.

First I remove both of the cards I use for photographing from the camera. Then I put in one of the two cards I use for saving my settings in Save/Load Menu Settings in the Set Up Menu and format it and save the current settings. Then repeat with the second card I have. I have one with me when shooting and one I keep at home.

Then using another old card I format it in camera and then put in my card reader and drag and drop the downloaded firmware update file to that card. Then insert into camera with a fresh battery and run the firmware update. After it is finished I turn off the camera and remove the card I used for the update and turn the camera back on to ensure the new firmware version is in place.

Then I put in the two cards I use for photography and format them before testing the new firmware.

Then I program any changes I want to make to my i menu and custom controls that may have become available because of the firmware update and I want to try out immediately or that might have been impacted by the menu changes in the firmware update, new menu numbers etc. for settings I use.

After I have tested the camera with new firmware and made changes I want I remove my regular photography cards insert my save settings back up cards then do the save settings routine again.

Agreed KEN -- but the NO 1 top lesson is to LEAVE the camera alone while it is updating the firmware -- simply put it on a desk and go away for 10 mins or more.
Great point I have read more than once of people turning off the camera during the update instead of after it is completed. That first round of problems with long Z9 updates led to a number of warnings from Nikon now that this will take up to xxx minutes and do not turn off the camera until it is done.

I suspect the cards have corrupted a little ... 🦘

This is a long shot but it is possible after the update, the camera created a new folder and your photos were still on the card but the database on the camera was looking for them in the new folder. Again, long shot but I've seen things like this happen with software updates on other types of devices and computers.

Glad you're back in business now.

Jeff

Back