I need advice on getting lens protective filters

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Steve on the subject...........

Indeed but fair to say that 9 years since the video and article was made a lot has changed to the pro protection filters, the top Hoya filters have today just very state-of-the-art coatings. And yes, in the end there will always be a pro and a con to it.

Have been to Florida several times and found no obvious need for a protective lens filter on the "Nature Coast".

However - on one outing to Clearwater Beach our Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 "L" lens ( a Canon weather-protected lens but w. no protective lens filter ) was accidentally dropped onto dry beach sand. Oops.

After quickly picking it up there was noted some slight "grinding" of the lens when trying to zoom with it. The lens required a trip to back to Canon for CLA and was fine afterwards.

No lens filter would help when dropping lens onto dry sand.

I'd challenge anyone, assuming that direct glare is not happening, to post 10 pairs of identical shots one with and one without and see how well folks can tell them apart.

I don’t use filters for lens protection but rather ease of cleaning if it’s a dusty/sandy or spray environment. That way I can just go for it with a lens brush and lens wipes and not really worry much if i degrade a lens filter. Otherwise it’s a more meticulous approach to an actual lens element.

I’m not convinced they help much for impacts, also not really convinced the image quality hit on using them is much to worry about either.

They seem lIke (the clear/uv ones) more of a convienience item for me for quick worry free clearing of the lens. This happens more for me with smaller primes and whatnot than the large lenses where I’m generally not hiking all around with those as much and I use filters on the small lenses, but not the large lenses.

I'd challenge anyone, assuming that direct glare is not happening, to post 10 pairs of identical shots one with and one without and see how well folks can tell them apart.
People can't tell when you shoot through window glass either... so what does that say about the cost of those expensive tiny bits of round glass?

R5_C2842 Wolf.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Shot through thick window glass at Parc Omega, QC.

I had one incident long ago when my 70-200mm rolled off a chair onto concrete. I had a protective filter on the lens, it cracked and had to be removed in pieces. I later took the lens in to have the filter ring removed, it cost me all of $10 to fix. The lens had some rough edges around the filter thread but was otherwise undamaged. I could have paid to have the filter ring replaced but chose to leave things alone.

At the time that happened the lens hood was not on the lens.

Based on various studies I have read about the effectiveness of protective filters I no longer use them. The amount of money spent on protective filters is out of proportion to their value.

To me good quality lens caps and especially hoods are much more protective.

My most vulnerable lens is probably the 800mm f6.3 pf. It has a very large front element that is both very prominent and very vulnerable. The lens comes with a very effective protective case which includes a large padded leather like front cover. I found the Zemlin lens cap to be a valuable protective addition. The cap is substantial and highly protective. It holds securely. I also always keep the lens hood in place and I recently added the two-piece Zemlin hood.

Back