I Pad Air as a screen for Nikon Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Is it possible to connect camera or card reader to Nikon z9 without transforming photos to IPad? Actually use it only as large backsceen.

Card, just plug reader to access photos.

To monitor or record video, yes. You need an HDMI capture box like and Elgato and any number of software packages to enable.

I second the SnapBridge comment. If you install the app you should be able to connect to the camera. Not sure it won't transfer images though (I honestly don't use it anymore now that my camera has GPS built in)

What about using the Nikon SnapBridge app?

I second the SnapBridge comment. If you install the app you should be able to connect to the camera. Not sure it won't transfer images though (I honestly don't use it anymore now that my camera has GPS built in)

Have you used it as described or is this theory? One of the worse apps I ever tried.

Have you used it as described or is this theory? One of the worse apps I ever tried.
App isn't perfect but I've used it several times in the past as a remote shutter without issue. I have not used it at all in the last two years since using Z9 as I used it more for GPS location than as a remote.

App isn't perfect but I've used it several times in the past as a remote shutter without issue. I have not used it at all in the last two years since using Z9 as I used it more for GPS location than as a remote.

It is awful on the Z9, probably due to the file sizes. I never got it to work with any Nikon. I'm assuming the OP is looking for more functionality than shutter release, for which there are easier solutions.

I’ve used the app several times as a remote shutter and it haven’t given me any issues as I can recall.

Nimi, I can’t see how the file sizes of the Z9 would impact how SnapBrigde performs as a remote trigger and screen, or am I missing something?

I’ve used the app several times as a remote shutter and it haven’t given me any issues as I can recall.

Nimi, I can’t see how the file sizes of the Z9 would impact how SnapBrigde performs as a remote trigger and screen, or am I missing something?

Probably not as a remote shutter release, didn't mean to imply that. Refering to the transfer or live viewing files. If that's all he needs to do, I'd get a remote release.

Last edited:
I have used Snapbridge with the Z9 I agree it is pretty much useless for reviewing images. It provides a low resolution image that shows insufficient detail to be of any practical use in evaluating images. I get more information out of zooming into the image from the camera screen. Maybe there is a way to configure it to make the images useful bit I don't know what that might be.

Snapbridge now allows for either 2mp or 8mp downloads directly from camera to iOS. It works well but the transmission speed is slow WiFi, so no chance of keeping up with bursts or high frame rates, if you do instant transfers of all images as you shoot. For remote photography it shows the same picture as the rear screen, so quite low resolution for an iPad. I use it when the camera is on tripod in an inconvenient location.

Snapbridge now allows for either 2mp or 8mp downloads directly from camera to iOS. It works well but the transmission speed is slow WiFi, so no chance of keeping up with bursts or high frame rates, if you do instant transfers of all images as you shoot. For remote photography it shows the same picture as the rear screen, so quite low resolution for an iPad. I use it when the camera is on tripod in an inconvenient location.
Thanks for the heads up on Snapbridge 8mp downloads… just updated my settings! Would have been nice to have built in GPS on my Z8 and/or D850, but the upsize to 8mp is a welcome addition to this app which I continue to use. I usually look at these preview files in my iPhone‘s Photos app where they simultaneously load and from where I can easily share on the fly. (Hint: you can also easily delete these images from SnapBridge in Photos, as the former’s UI for deletion is super clunky)

Is it possible to connect camera or card reader to Nikon z9 without transforming photos to IPad? Actually use it only as large backsceen.
YES! There is a way. I use my iPad with my Z8 as the first step in my workflow. You will need a HDMI cable and one of these:
4K HDMI Capture https://a.co/d/grr615n

This is a CAPTURE dongle, HDMI to USB-C. If you have a USB-C to HDMI dongle, it will not work. And your iPad MUST have a USB-C port; lightning will not work.

I also recommend a Smallrig HDMI cable, as it’s really thin, short, and easier to deal with than a “regular“ HDMI cable

Best of luck.

Thanks for the heads up on Snapbridge 8mp downloads… just updated my settings! Would have been nice to have built in GPS on my Z8 and/or D850, but the upsize to 8mp is a welcome addition to this app which I continue to use. I usually look at these preview files in my iPhone‘s Photos app where they simultaneously load and from where I can easily share on the fly. (Hint: you can also easily delete these images from SnapBridge in Photos, as the former’s UI for deletion is super clunky)
Update: the 8 mb preview is, apparently, only available with my Z8. My D850 still shows only a 2 mb option in Snapbridge.

Back