I would appreciate a critique of this photo taken in Polk Co. FL.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ToughGuy.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

It's clean and reasonably sharp with a really nice wing and body position as it banks. The little wisp of cloud in the upper left helps but FWIW flight shots against a clean blue sky aren't my favorite, I've got a ton of them but I much prefer shots with some background even if it's a distant ridge line or tree tops to break up the expanse of sky. The framing is pretty tight which is great for an ID shot but sometimes it's nice to loosen things up to give the bird room to fly in the frame if possible.

Still, it's a beautiful bird in an interesting flight position and well captured.

I would echo what others have said, although it does not seem overexposed to me at all as I can see every white feather: having said that, some people like a more contrasty image than I do. Also, when cropping (or shooting) check the edges of your image. At the bottom you have a bit of something that needs to be removed.

I agree that it seems just a little overexposed. Personal preference, here, but I'd like little more room below the bird. To me it usually looks more like the bird is "up in the air" when there is more room under, if that makes sense. Pure blue sky may not be as interesting to many as some puffy clouds, then again I often get comments on my blue sky bird shots on how nice the deep blue sky looks. For some people, that makes the picture for them. So, as always, I'd say there is no one correct answer. All in all, this is a great shot and I think we are all just making minor suggestions to make the shot even better. :) Nice job!

Thanks. Good points. Florida in the winter, we have a lot of blue skies and flat land. I also would have preferred something more interesting behind. There was nothing below but more sky.

Back