ICU for Z 600 TC

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Im not sure if this will be helpful but I frequently make 3-4 day solo backpack trips with my Z-9 and Z8 camera bodies , a 600mm lens and an 18-35mm and 24-120mm zoom. A RRS tripod and Wemberly Gimbel Head, extra batteries, accessories and cleaning materials complete the photo gear. I’m not aware of a photo backpack that will also allow room for camping gear so I have chosen an Osprey 64L backpack. It has a convenient front load design as well as access from the top. This allows room for a lightweight sleeping bag and pad , a 2 lb Big Agnes tent, water filter, a miniature cooking kit (MSR pocket rocket and fuel canister both contained in a Toaks 1100ml titanium pot), a first aid kit, food, bear spray, bug repellent and a Helinox chair zero. I use my extra clothing and rain gear to pack around my lenses(an ICU just won’t fit) and I carry my Z9 in the top zippered compartment with my utility knife, rope, headlamp and a book . The Z8 with attached 24-120 lens is carried in one of two old school Dana Design “wet ribs “ attached to my hip belt. In the other I carry trail snacks, my water bottle, maps and my phone with an OnX map app. I also, at my wife’s insistence, clip an inReach mini to my pack - just in case - and I always use Black Diamond carbon fiber trekking poles for balance and support when negotiating stream crossings and uneven terrain that might throw me off balance. At age 72 that’s more likely to happen to me than many of you younger folks but it’s good insurance at any age, in my humble opinion. This backpack is extremely comfortable even with a heavy load and it works just great for me. Lots of options but I think it might be best to simply choose a comfortable backpack that is big enough for all of your gear and forget trying to use an ICU.

Im not sure if this will be helpful but I frequently make 3-4 day solo backpack trips with my Z-9 and Z8 camera bodies , a 600mm lens and an 18-35mm and 24-120mm zoom. A RRS tripod and Wemberly Gimbel Head, extra batteries, accessories and cleaning materials complete the photo gear. I’m not aware of a photo backpack that will also allow room for camping gear so I have chosen an Osprey 64L backpack. It has a convenient front load design as well as access from the top. This allows room for a lightweight sleeping bag and pad , a 2 lb Big Agnes tent, water filter, a miniature cooking kit (MSR pocket rocket and fuel canister both contained in a Toaks 1100ml titanium pot), a first aid kit, food, bear spray, bug repellent and a Helinox chair zero. I use my extra clothing and rain gear to pack around my lenses(an ICU just won’t fit) and I carry my Z9 in the top zippered compartment with my utility knife, rope, headlamp and a book . The Z8 with attached 24-120 lens is carried in one of two old school Dana Design “wet ribs “ attached to my hip belt. In the other I carry trail snacks, my water bottle, maps and my phone with an OnX map app. I also, at my wife’s insistence, clip an inReach mini to my pack - just in case - and I always use Black Diamond carbon fiber trekking poles for balance and support when negotiating stream crossings and uneven terrain that might throw me off balance. At age 72 that’s more likely to happen to me than many of you younger folks but it’s good insurance at any age, in my humble opinion. This backpack is extremely comfortable even with a heavy load and it works just great for me. Lots of options but I think it might be best to simply choose a comfortable backpack that is big enough for all of your gear and forget trying to use an ICU.

Thanks, and yes. I had a two tier plan on this, it's an expensive one though! Firstly I am going to go with the ThinkTank backlight 36l, that will serve me for day trips locally. Then I am going to purchase the NYA-EVO XL ICU, this I will use for cary on purposes with lens and body seperated. I will then look at a backpack:
  1. https://www.mysteryranch.com/terraframe-80-pack
  2. https://www.savotta.fi/products/jaakari-xl
I think the ICU alone should cover the spec for global carry on, but need to do a bit more thinking before finalising the decision.

Back