If you had 3 or 4 days in Florida to shoot birds

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Stephen Berger

Supporting Member
Marketplace
where would you go?

I MAY have some unexpected time off next week or the week after, have a ton of frequent flier miles and permission from the wife to disappear. I've never been to Florida (outside of Miami for work) and would love to photograph spoonbills, ahinga's, maybe woodstorks, ospreys -- though at least they exist here, etc.

I only really know the west coast near Naples/Ft Meyers. In that general area I've had great experiences at Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve, CorkScrew Swamp and Ding Darling NWR.

I've done Florida twice...2017, 2018. Once in April, once in May.

My favorite spots were CircleB, Viera Wetlands and Ft. Desoto. But I also enjoyed the Burrowing Owls at Cape Coral, did a boat rentals for nesting osprey at Blue Cypress and on the 2nd trip I went to Wacodahatchee and found that to be very productive. Gatorland was okay also. I had no luck at Merritt and not much at Orlando wetlands...but then others will have great days there.

If I went back I'd try to go to the osprey spot Mark Smith is always at (which I think is Sebastian inlet) and wherever he was shooting those nest building spoonbills in his latest video.

It's hard to go wrong in Florida - there are so many great nature preserves, beaches, wetlands, etc. I favor the Gulf coast, and typically locate in or around Sarasota, or Ft. Meyers. The shorebirds on Siesta Key (especially the black skimmers) are fabulous at dawn, and there's plenty else to shoot there too (pelicans, herons, egrets, dunlins, sandpipers, etc). Sarasota Audubon maintains Celery Fields, which is packed with a little of everything - limpkins, spoonbills, ibises, eagles, ospreys, etc., etc. Then, just about anywhere outside of town you'll find sandhill cranes and bald eagle nests (there's an online eagle nest locator), egrets, herons, etc. You can find a nice spot to park yourself on a lawn chair along Sarasota Bay, and enjoy dozens of osprey feeding, brown and white pelicans fishing, and dolphins surfacing in the aqua-green water. A little south of Sarasota is Myakka State Park - a wonderful place to visit generally, and also packed with tons of birds and other critters - stilts, limpkins, ibises, spoonbills, etc., feral pigs, deer, otters, and alligators galore. Slightly farther south is Cape Coral, where you can find burrowing owls, which are always fun to watch and photograph. Not far from there is Manatee Park, where you can get so close to these majestic and docile creatures, you can practically touch them. Enjoy!

Last edited:
I've done Florida twice...2017, 2018. Once in April, once in May.

My favorite spots were CircleB, Viera Wetlands and Ft. Desoto. But I also enjoyed the Burrowing Owls at Cape Coral, did a boat rentals for nesting osprey at Blue Cypress and on the 2nd trip I went to Wacodahatchee and found that to be very productive. Gatorland was okay also. I had no luck at Merritt and not much at Orlando wetlands...but then others will have great days there.

If I went back I'd try to go to the osprey spot Mark Smith is always at (which I think is Sebastian inlet) and wherever he was shooting those nest building spoonbills in his latest video.

Good solid list; I would just caution that Circle B Bar has been a bit of a bust this year for many of us. I had for more luck in 2021 than 2022, and many have reported the same thing.

Sebastian Inlet for Osprey is indeed the most reliable spot (but it's nature so sometimes it just doesn't work out), it's especially productive if a storm front is coming through, the Ospreys love taking advantage of the wind to lift out of the water.

I hope somebody can share where Mark was with those spoonbills, I have had zero luck with those birds... :-(

You need to decide if you want to shoot at water level or are OK shooting from boardwalks and raised ground. That will very much dictate where you will go. Shooting at water level is of course super easy anywhere along the coast but significantly more difficult for the fresh water stuff because of how they manage water levels and also because of Alligators. There is a lot of ground to cover so with just 4 days I would stick to one area and work it as much as you can. But again you will need to make that key decision first. Many of the main places have already been mentioned but what has not been discussed is your shooting angle at those places.

You need to decide if you want to shoot at water level or are OK shooting from boardwalks and raised ground. That will very much dictate where you will go. Shooting at water level is of course super easy anywhere along the coast but significantly more difficult for the fresh water stuff because of how they manage water levels and also because of Alligators. There is a lot of ground to cover so with just 4 days I would stick to one area and work it as much as you can. But again you will need to make that key decision first. Many of the main places have already been mentioned but what has not been discussed is your shooting angle at those places.
I would probably do some of both. Seems like if I stick to the gulf cost/Ft Myer's area I'd have time for both (and I could potentially make it up to a 5 day trip). And maaaaybe I could shoot across to Sebastian Inlet as well but it sounds like they're on the gulf coast as well.

Yes you could do that there but again the vast majority of fresh water stuff is super crazy hard to shoot at water level. You can go to places where maybe the herons, gallinules, etc will perch up. Harns Marsh is a good spot near Ft Meyers for that. But if you want to shoot those things at eye level at the water then you will have to do lots of searching. The beaches are somewhat easy for shorebirds, tri colored, little blue, reddish egret, pelicans, terns, gulls. Cape Coral will give you all the Burrowing Owls you can shoot. I chose not to shoot anything at all that was not at water level so I left with some easy birds that I missed. But what I got came really nice.

Thanks all! So much good info. I really appreciate it. Assuming I do get the time off I think I'll do my best to make it a 5 day trip and if so swing to The Atlantic side for spoonbills and ospreys and then camp out in the Ft Meyer are for a few days. And if I don't get the time off now I have good info for the future.

Those are popular places to go but be warned you can not get to water level and do lots of shooting down on stuff or shooting flight shots with sky backgrounds. No problem with those shots but if they are not what you are after then perhaps consider other alternatives.

Those are popular places to go but be warned you can not get to water level and do lots of shooting down on stuff or shooting flight shots with sky backgrounds. No problem with those shots but if they are not what you are after then perhaps consider other alternatives.
Yeah that was my biggest issue with Florida....shoot on the ocean or get eaten by gators trying to get low shots at all the other places :p

Four or five days to cover Florida is tough; it is more territory to cover than most people realize. (Over 800 miles from Pensacola to Key West.) There are a lot of good suggestions already, but whatever you do, stay off of I-4 during the day. I-95 can be really bad, too. Try to keep from crossing the peninsula more than once during your visit.

If you're looking for nesting Ospreys and are willing to hire a guide, PM me and I can give you a contact for one on the east side near Vero Beach. He offers tours on Blue Cypress Lake for another couple of weeks. It isn't too far from there to Sebastian Inlet, where Mark Smith says he goes for Osprey action.

Fort Desoto, near St Petersburg is a favorite of many, as is the Sarasota Rookery, but I've not been to either.

I'm now sad with the realization that even though I live in Florida, there are many from out of state that actually spend more time with their cameras in Florida than I do. They can also offer better advice about where to vxit than I can. :(

Yeah that was my biggest issue with Florida....shoot on the ocean or get eaten by gators trying to get low shots at all the other places :p
pretty much. You have to really get lucky and work a spot and take a few risks. I came back not too long ago. I was able to sneak down here and there and get some birds like Purple Gallinule out in the open and at water level. But it is a risk there that most don't like to take. The flip side is that you get some really unique shots not because they are rare birds, just because nobody does it.

If not eaten by gators, you just might end up bleeding out to the mosquitos! Bug repellant!! Bring lots of bug repellant!

My biggest worry about shooting this time of year is the snakes, actually.

If you're going to Lee County/Fort Myers check out Bunche Beach and Little Estero Lagoon. Both are smaller places that you walk short distances to and have always been highly productive for me. I live in Volusia County and Merritt Island and North Shore of Lake Apopka Wildlife Drive are my favorite driving locations, one brackish and one fresh. Orlando Wetlands Park is the best walking photography place I've been to.

Glossy Ibis are spectacular this time of year. They top the Roseate Spoonbills for my money.
20220411  902.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

where would you go?

I MAY have some unexpected time off next week or the week after, have a ton of frequent flier miles and permission from the wife to disappear. I've never been to Florida (outside of Miami for work) and would love to photograph spoonbills, ahinga's, maybe woodstorks, ospreys -- though at least they exist here, etc.
2 more hours of flight and you're in Costa Rica...

Back