I'll probably never top this backyard photo

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a whole sequence of him but it was just amazing to see and be in the right place at the right time for once! This is only cropped like 10% if that tells you anything. Just so excited I had to share. :)

DSC_4818 1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Thanks all! I was just amazed by it. I have seen him a few times before but he's one of those who will be in your yard for like 15 seconds as he follows along a dry creek in my back yard through a fence. I saw him head up and out and didn't expect him to be coming back and especially not with some food! Only had about 15 seconds of pic time, too. My setup perch didn't get any visitors today but he more than made up for it!

Amazing shot - well done! You must have been primed and ready when the fox emerged with the meal. It takes work to make your own luck!

Hopefully your fox visits our yard, the bunny population is rocketing up and my wife's garden is getting nervous...

Amazing shot - well done! You must have been primed and ready when the fox emerged with the meal. It takes work to make your own luck!

Hopefully your fox visits our yard, the bunny population is rocketing up and my wife's garden is getting nervous...
Lol, I'll send word to him :) Thankfully the place where he left my yard lined up with my perch so it was easy to see the motion as he was coming back down. I was almost ready to pack it in as it was getting warm and lighter than I wanted, too, but I hung around just long enough.

You have a good reaction and got an excellent shot of the beautiful fox with its prey. Very well done. Even the second picture is a great result and shows the high iso quality of modern cameras.

Wow that is indeed quite a backyard shot. Great shot regardless of location. Yeah it'll be tough to beat that. Bobcat maybe?
Yeah, they theoretically are in my location in SE US but all the development has probably driven them away since everyone wants to live here now, lol. I was hoping he would come back this morning but no such luck...

Great Right place, right time image. That’s the thrill of Nature Photography. I get lots of opportunities in my yard for images, I live in a semi rural area of Florida, with woods behind my property. Here is an image of a male Bobcat that walked into my yard as I was walking out to get some bird images at my feeder station. We came face to face at about 15-20 feet. I had my Z9 with the z 100-400 lens. I stopped and slowly raised the camera as I went down on one knee. The large Bobcat was very calm, non threading and seemed to be interested in the birds at the feeder. I kept shooting as he kept looking at me and the birds. After a few minutes, seemed like longer he turned back toward the woods and gave me a big lick of his face before walking slowly away. My Z9 was set for the light at the bird feeder so was spot on. I took 165 images during our encounter. Here are two of the images:

Cheers

Attachments

• Bobcat.jpg
    Bobcat.jpg
    867.6 KB · Views: 39
  • _DSC2016.JPEG
    _DSC2016.JPEG
    293.3 KB · Views: 37
Great Right place, right time image. That’s the thrill of Nature Photography. I get lots of opportunities in my yard for images, I live in a semi rural area of Florida, with woods behind my property. Here is an image of a male Bobcat that walked into my yard as I was walking out to get some bird images at my feeder station. We came face to face at about 15-20 feet. I had my Z9 with the z 100-400 lens. I stopped and slowly raised the camera as I went down on one knee. The large Bobcat was very calm, non threading and seemed to be interested in the birds at the feeder. I kept shooting as he kept looking at me and the birds. After a few minutes, seemed like longer he turned back toward the woods and gave me a big lick of his face before walking slowly away. My Z9 was set for the light at the bird feeder so was spot on. I took 165 images during our encounter. Here are two of the images:

Cheers
Those are fabulous pictures! I would LOVE to see that around here. Where I lived was semi rural until the past 5 years when work from home made it possible for people to live anywhere so they chose here sadly. I bet your heart was beating as fast as mine was.

Great photos of the fox and bobcat!

Here's my best backyard photo so far.

I got up before dawn and drove 20 miles to a nearby lake and sat in my truck along the shore near some cypress trees for four hours hoping to see a kingfisher, osprey, anything. Best thing I got all morning was a flock of geese that were too far away even with my 800mm PF on my Z9.

Disappointed I drove home and walked in the garage door with my camera in hand and saw a hawk with his back to me on the ground 3-feet from my back door. I quietly walked back out the garage door, due East across the driveway and into the woods where the hawk could not see me. I quietly walked about 30 feet South in the woods and crept back West toward the house. I laid down and crawled the last few feet to the ridge that separates our yard from the woods. I laid the lens on the top of the ridge and raised my eye to the viewfinder. I framed the shot, the camera acquired focus and he took off. I got three frames where his face is visible and this one is the best. I didn't realize he had caught a male cardinal until he took off. Very little cropping and post production editing.

Attachments

• Z91_1037-Final Edit-wm-s.jpg
    Z91_1037-Final Edit-wm-s.jpg
    637.8 KB · Views: 32
Back