I'm confused

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

My bad back during my 40s kept me from sitting and off the golf course for 5 years. I moaned a lot!😊
Encouraging to know it only took five years to fix itself. Not relevant for my condition as I am booked in for a body transplant in 2027.
PS I got two photos of King Parrots today. Three birds turned up so I travelled over 4m onto the deck to take pictures. Light was not good and the reds of the male are always difficult.

King Parrot 20 06 24-5902-DeNoiseAI-standard resize.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

King Parrot 20 06 24-5936-DeNoiseAI-standard resize.jpg

Used a 2x converter on the 100-400 zoom, distance was about 3m maybe less.

I'm missing one fundamental item on that list, Robert: Distance. No matter how good the gear is, if distance is inappropiate for the subject vs frame, we are doomed and will only get a testimonial shot (that may be the final goal for many, of course!).

As to what drives or inspires this hobby... to me, is the sheer rush of the moment, the excitement of seeing the animal, the challenge of trying to (and more often than not, failing) to get them shot in a special situation...

Add to all this the preparation of the trip (short or long), thinking the targets, the gear to use (if you are having multiple choices), the (again) excitement of starting the travel (road or air) after planning what to pack, arriving to location, unpacking the gear and start checking all the settings (once again...)...

And finally, after each session, the checking on the laptop (on location) of the first pictures, thinking "I know I have one, I know I did get the one!" (only to find out it wasn't...LOL!)...

Editing in a rush the first pics and uploading it or sharing thru the cell it with your nearest and dearest ones that stayed back home worried about you being eaten by a croc... (LOL again).

Finally, starting to share (here kicks in the ego) online the pictures, to somehow "collect back" some of the "investment", not in $ but in praise, likes, comments... and then get a few printed or sending the files for friends to print...

We at home enjoy A LOT when friends comes home asking "hey, show us your pictures, I've seen one in FB and I bet there are more!".

I (very) proudly turn on the 85" TV screen and start scrolling thru the pics... much like when I was a kid and my parents would gather the family and friends to show them their travel slides projected on the wall... and tell them (before they fall asleep) the details about each one, enjoying their "awww" and their "wowww" each time. That's enough for me to start thinking about the next outing!

Not sure if this adds or not any positive thinking Robert, just thinking out loud here.
Thanks for the post Marcelo. I first went to Spain in 1962. Amazing place. Spent a week in

Sant Feliu de Guíxols

donkey cart SF.jpg

market San F.jpg

Probably changed a bit since I was there.

Thanks for the post Marcelo. I first went to Spain in 1962. Amazing place. Spent a week in

Sant Feliu de Guíxols

View attachment 91585

View attachment 91586

Probably changed a bit since I was there.

1962! LOL! I was 3...
I never been to that place (been nearby though), nor have I lived all my life in Spain (I´ve been here for the last 20 years or so). I'd bet there are some places that still are keeping the atmosphere in some ways, keeping traditions alive. krgds, Marcelo

Interesting posts. Thanks for starting this thread.

I'm not sure "art" really needs a purpose. It's enough to make art for the sake of art. Pull out your camera and good things can happen.

I've got a friend who lives in Colorado. Once when we were in Rocky Mountain NP with a herd of elk in flat light he commented. "I don't care if I ever make another photo of an elk." He had a portfolio of great images of elk under all conditions - many images in great light, fog, or mist. He recognized conditions that were uninspiring for the subject in front of us. For many of us - IT'S AN ELK! - TAKE A PHOTO.

Jay Maisel is known for seeing great photographs while on daily walks around his home in New York. He sees things others walk by and ignore - abstracts, shapes, colors, textures, etc. Nikon Ambassador Joey Terrill does the same type thing with lighting and common household items. Mike Moats takes the same approach to macro nature photography. All are capturing things they see - not necessarily things they plan to photograph.

On more than one occasion I've combined birding with bird photography. The photos I make often include small, out of focus, distant subjects. But the photos have use for identification. On more than one occasion I've deleted the entire card after a couple of hours in the field. I know that none of the photos have value - but really enjoyed being out in nature. Go on a walk and take your camera.

Robert...one of my primary reasons for photography is creating memories. I do mostly wildlife with a penchant for birds. I have realized I will never see them all in this lifetime. But the ones I have, occupy a good deal of neural real estate. It puts a smile on my face to remember the moment, who I was with and then the colors and patterns on the screen later. This is why I have a Flikr page. When I can longer schlep it all into the field or just tire of the travel, my memories will remind me of just what a beautiful life I have lived...instead of the trial and tribulations that ales all humans. I have arthritis and go the gym 5 days a week. Strength training and yoga has really helped me be more functional. I also really like that this is both a technical and artistic endeavor. And I just like the feel of the camera in my hands. I am grateful for forums where I learn how to think differently and get to see what others create and enjoy. It inspires me to try different things. And then there is nature itself. Just can't beat being outside!

In the last several years I have photographed mostly wildlife, although I still do on occasion photograph nature and landscape images. For me, wildlife, especially in action, is a challenge and I love that and I love being outside in beautiful natural settings. I am compelled to take photographs and I see the possibilities all around me daily, even though I may not take the photograph.

I'll often set a goal when I go on a trip, based on a specific animal or setting. Setting a goal continues the challenge for me. Perhaps setting a goal that you have not attained may help to inspire you?

We all have down times and, as someone else said, maybe some time off to contemplate might help, too. Only you can determine why you want to be a photographer and what might inspire you to keep interested in photography so maybe a bit of soul searching is in order.

I often read the history of photography, in particular, the California history (I live in Northern CA) that includes Ansel Adams and the f/64 group and that always inspires me to try harder to attain new heights in my photography. That group of people worked so very hard to make the public see photography as the art it is and I appreciate what they did for photography in general. Perhaps reading the history of photography in your area would help to motivate you?

Photography for me is a passion and my life revolves around it so I try to keep that passion going in many ways, reading, travel, new ideas, etc.

For most of the 50+ years that I worked in forest and field I carried a camera and took thousands of photographs of wildlife, wildflowers, scenery and all things natural (and family of course). I'm still taking photos, averaging over 100 a day, every day of the year. Why do I do it? To document what's out there, to give me something to do, to learn something new, but most of all to take a closer look at the natural world and see things I've never seen before (or maybe just never noticed) -- the collembola under the decaying leaves, a butterfly's eye, an eagle feeding it's young, a tiny mushroom.

Last edited:
In the last several years I have photographed mostly wildlife, although I still do on occasion photograph nature and landscape images. For me, wildlife, especially in action, is a challenge and I love that and I love being outside in beautiful natural settings. I am compelled to take photographs and I see the possibilities all around me daily, even though I may not take the photograph.

I'll often set a goal when I go on a trip, based on a specific animal or setting. Setting a goal continues the challenge for me. Perhaps setting a goal that you have not attained may help to inspire you?

We all have down times and, as someone else said, maybe some time off to contemplate might help, too. Only you can determine why you want to be a photographer and what might inspire you to keep interested in photography so maybe a bit of soul searching is in order.

I often read the history of photography, in particular, the California history (I live in Northern CA) that includes Ansel Adams and the f/64 group and that always inspires me to try harder to attain new heights in my photography. That group of people worked so very hard to make the public see photography as the art it is and I appreciate what they did for photography in general. Perhaps reading the history of photography in your area would help to motivate you?

Photography for me is a passion and my life revolves around it so I try to keep that passion going in many ways, reading, travel, new ideas, etc.
You might know of this site: Internet Archive.
I sometimes spend time on the site looking at old photos. It's free but requires you 'sign up'.

Encouraging to know it only took five years to fix itself. Not relevant for my condition as I am booked in for a body transplant in 2027.
PS I got two photos of King Parrots today. Three birds turned up so I travelled over 4m onto the deck to take pictures. Light was not good and the reds of the male are always difficult.

View attachment 91581
View attachment 91582

Used a 2x converter on the 100-400 zoom, distance was about 3m maybe less.
You're a lucky man, Bob. All my birds are dull bown except my bluejay friend and male house finches with their touch of red. But I do enjoy the bluejay, who plays me for peanuts like a fiddle.

Thanks for the reply. I have not taken many photos recently. It's winter here, had a few health problems, and been doing other stuff. I thought about it and decided I was taking photos of the same thing. I guess the photos of the Scaly breasted lorikeets was a bit different in that they had a few abnormalities.
Seems to me there is a difference between 'why' and 'purpose' is relevant but I might be wrong.
Why do you take photos?
I like to take photos because I am a nature lover and I have a big passion for wildlife. Through, my photos I wanted the public to see the beauty of wildlife and the fragility of the ecosystem. I wanted people to see like me, that animals are no different from us, they look after their young, they work hard for their survival and to protect their young and they have emotion. I do a lot of educational expositions with my photos that tell stories not only of the struggle and survival of species but also of love, affection and joy that I get the privilege to witness in their life.
I also like to take photos for my personnel joy, when I am feeling down specially with what is going on on this planet, photos or videos of wildlife always put smile on my face and remind me how life is beautiful and how this nature is generous and full of miracle, that I have to do everything I can to protect.

My purpose for taking photos has and continues to be a means to capture and relive memories. We travel extensively and continue to enjoy the process of taking photos while also enjoying the sights, people, food, animals and cultures. As a means to relive those memories we also make books, over 50 so far, that allow us to experience them again and again. It also is a way for us to share our experiences with friends and relatives without imposing on them with thousands of photos. They can sit and scan our work or not and I am not offended.
With the advent of digital and programs such as LRC or PS our creativity has expanded beyond just capturing a photo but added another creative layer that gives me great satisfaction as well as challenging moments. For me photography has expanded my knowledge base as well as challenged me creatively well beyond just taking photos. It is always stimulating my mind and adding a "what if component" that forces me to think well beyond just taking a photo.
So, photography for me is not just snapping a photo at the right aperture, shutter speed, ISO or anything else - it is about capturing a moment in time to be able to be relived many times. Photograpy for me is all about the memories they evoke!

I've heard the question many times, why do you take photos?? I usually reply by saying something like why do painters paint, why do sculptors sculpt, etc. etc.?

I almost exclusively pursue nature photography and that often involves traveling to beautiful areas and doing lots of driving around and hiking. I sometimes wonder which I like more, the travel, the sightseeing, the hiking, or the photography. I suppose I like to do all of those things and they all complement each other.

One other thing that I've noticed is I seem to have more appreciation for nature, scenery, etc. after taking up photography; the act of producing a good photo requires one to slow down and enjoy what is in front of you as you determine the best perspective, angle, what details to include and which to exclude, etc.

Thanks for the reply. I have not taken many photos recently. It's winter here, had a few health problems, and been doing other stuff. I thought about it and decided I was taking photos of the same thing. I guess the photos of the Scaly breasted lorikeets was a bit different in that they had a few abnormalities.
Seems to me there is a difference between 'why' and 'purpose' is relevant but I might be wrong.
Why do you take photos?
Robert,
I was reallly into photography in college and immediately thereafter. I took weddings, portraits, groups, and a little nature. I got tired of the “people” part and decided to basically use a point and shoot camera for family and vacations. The D700 I bought I never took out of auto mode…what a waste. For the past few years I have used an iPhone for a lot of pics as I usually share with family and close friend. When I retired and Nikon introduced the Z8 I decided I wanted to get back into photography. I now live on a lake and have a lot of wildlife at my fingertips. So now I do this to capture the beauty of the wildlife in my area and to enjoy being among God’s creatures, big and small. Every day is a learning experience and I am really enjoying each one as much as I can. If photography is no longer your thing, find something that is. Life is too short not to find joy in each and every moment we are given. That’s my “why” for what it’s worth.

Thanks for the post. Lot of good ideas.
I'm off to Darwin in a few weeks. More trips up Buffalo Creek chasing kingfishers. Hopefully opportunities to photograph other birds. I was last there December to early February of this year. Had a few back problems but nothing drastic. Two months ago my lower back decided to slow me down. Seems I have osteoarthritis. Doc says it can't be fixed just controlled. It's a pain in the back. Limits what I can do. Still mobile but have to take care. No big deal, for a geriatric I am doing good, and a bad back is not something to moan about. Occasionally I do get into grumpy old man mode. Apologies for that.
Hope you are able to manage the pain, Robert. Best wishes for good pain management.

i think when we find ourselves reviewing a mental list of technical photography things, we are often thinking through HOW to achieve an end result we have in our head
One of the old timey photographers (can't remember which) Said the mechanical basics of photography can be taught in about an hour...for me, I think 2 or so... but it is the EYE, which takes a lifetime of effort.
I see many poor souls here and on other forums beating themselves up, because they are confused, overthinking the process.
The photo triangle, ISO,Aperture and Shutter speed are the foundation. Add the subject, and shoot away! We have cameras that have more electronic capability than did a World War II Destroyer, but mostly what it does is create discouragement and discontent, IF the basics aren't learned . Our cameras are supposed to do MARVELOUS work, ;) right? That's why we paid all that money for them, right?
The camera is only a device to hold the sensitive media, and to hold the lens properly. o_OThat's all it has been since the beginning of time.
To be sure, modern Digital equipment has more options than Carter had pills, but that causes confusion and discontent when it doesn't produce Art-quality results. It's not the arrow, It is the Indian!
Galen Rowell left his camera set on full auto...point and shoot, one meter setting(probably Matrix or the like) for an entire trip to Hawaii, iirc, and returned with some brilliant shots!
If that's all a photog will ever do, So What? "Progressing" fron one level to the next is fine, all a photog has to figure out is "what am I likely to run into, and which lens will capture it?" Sure some things will rise up, like me at Yellowstone last month...A 70-300 mm lens giving a minimum DX 105mm angle of view WILL be too long for that BIG Tatonka 6 feet from the car's open window. But, that's life. :cool: Choose equipment for the majority of what you expect , take another back-up lens, for when you have time to change things, set everything else for your expectations, and FEAR NOT!

Interesting thread with many different thoughts and ideas. I have always had and interest in photography however life and farming got in the way until about 15 years ago. I had began carrying a camera around with me all around the farm. I was getting a lot of satisfaction out of getting some what I felt were good wildlife photos. Then one day I watched a slide show video by Wyman Meinzer, the Texas State Photographer. His wildlife and landscape photos in nature were stunning. I didn't just see the photographs, I saw the scenes he was shooting and they were some of the same scenes that I observed daily on the farm. What was simply a hobby became a passion in the moments of that slide show video.

While it became a passion, I had a lot of learning and work to do. Of course I didn't realize the path that I would follow that will probably last the rest of my life. Over the years my purpose has changed and expanded. I have continued to love wildlife photography but now I also do farm photography, sports photography and landscape photography. My purpose is to produce photographs that capture stunning moments on my farm and to educate my audience about the farming and wildlife in my area. I am able to do this through social media as well as exhibits in local venues and art galleries.

The sports photography was a lucky coincidence as i was asked to shoot for a 247CBS fan site for Texas Tech University Athletics which includes Football, Basketball and Baseball. It was actually a dream come true.

My journey has advanced through continuous learning not only about my equipment but also about my subjects. I didn't change equipment because I was a gear head or the advancements in the equipment. I purchased equipment because it gave me a much better opportunity to get the image I envisioned. While the equipment did give me a better chance to get the image I had to learn how to use the equipment to get the best possible opportunity to get the photo.

My purpose: to get images that create interest as well as educate my audience
Why: Because I love to do take photos.

Importance of different aspects
AF
Prime Lenses
My abilities as a photographer
Knowledge of the subject
FPS
MP
Editing software(Lightroom)
AF Speed
Memory banks
Camera controls customization
Dynamic Range
Color rendition

Some personal points of interest and maybe suggestions for you to try:

- Full workflow to printing (currently A3+ Canon on Premium Platinum gloss), I enjoy getting this right, especially colours.
- Amazing birds behaviours/special events/angles and thrill of the hunt, especially BIF. For example, caught a sandwich tern flying upside down in three frames.
- Technology. My 600mm f/4 TC is being repaired so I have also added a second system: Canon R5 plus 100-500, a whole different world (by the way, had some weird focusing issues there, but colours are to me superior to Nikon). A bit tempted to get a Mark 2 but I'm sure that will be an overkill.

I think that the purpose of any photographer is to capture "that moment" and to eventually print some of "those moments".....few years ago I got my first printer (Epson P800) and rediscover the pleasure of having first on my hands and afterwards on a wall...that image that I saw, I enjoyed, I took, I processed according my point of view, and finally printed. Nothing better that a good print of a photo that you really liked. Just my thoughts....

Interesting thread with many different thoughts and ideas. I have always had and interest in photography however life and farming got in the way until about 15 years ago. I had began carrying a camera around with me all around the farm. I was getting a lot of satisfaction out of getting some what I felt were good wildlife photos. Then one day I watched a slide show video by Wyman Meinzer, the Texas State Photographer. His wildlife and landscape photos in nature were stunning. I didn't just see the photographs, I saw the scenes he was shooting and they were some of the same scenes that I observed daily on the farm. What was simply a hobby became a passion in the moments of that slide show video.

While it became a passion, I had a lot of learning and work to do. Of course I didn't realize the path that I would follow that will probably last the rest of my life. Over the years my purpose has changed and expanded. I have continued to love wildlife photography but now I also do farm photography, sports photography and landscape photography. My purpose is to produce photographs that capture stunning moments on my farm and to educate my audience about the farming and wildlife in my area. I am able to do this through social media as well as exhibits in local venues and art galleries.

The sports photography was a lucky coincidence as i was asked to shoot for a 247CBS fan site for Texas Tech University Athletics which includes Football, Basketball and Baseball. It was actually a dream come true.

My journey has advanced through continuous learning not only about my equipment but also about my subjects. I didn't change equipment because I was a gear head or the advancements in the equipment. I purchased equipment because it gave me a much better opportunity to get the image I envisioned. While the equipment did give me a better chance to get the image I had to learn how to use the equipment to get the best possible opportunity to get the photo.

My purpose: to get images that create interest as well as educate my audience
Why: Because I love to do take photos.

Importance of different aspects
AF
Prime Lenses
My abilities as a photographer
Knowledge of the subject
FPS
MP
Editing software(Lightroom)
AF Speed
Memory banks
Camera controls customization
Dynamic Range
Color rendition
Thank you, Sir! Farmers are the unsung heroes of our lives!🖖 Live long, and Photograph!

This... For me , photography allows me to reconnect with nature, by focusing on a specific subject. This time spent in the craft results in a calm, clear state of mind ...some call this Zen? It is what drew me into photography over 20 years ago and continues to do so today . This time away from technology (I'm an IT Engineer) out in nature is very important to me. It's priceless

While I cannot deny the advantages today’s tech can offer the photographer my purpose in photography is to spend time in nature, capture some of the beauty I see and, hopefully encourage others to appreciate those things we see as beautiful.
[edited to correct spelling error]

Back