I'm torn!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello everyone! I'm from China and I love this site, I think the atmosphere here is great! I've been struggling lately, I want the A9III, but it's too expensive, even used it costs 35,000RMB (4,934$) and the pixels are too low! I'm considering the A1, but it's AF isn't very accurate! Especially for at BTF. i guess i should wait a bit more, like the A1II?
View attachment 97239

View attachment 97240
View attachment 97241
I don't think the price will be much different and yes the focusing will be better no doubt on what is already excellent, but that said the A1 is brilliant, i mean how much better do you actually feel you need................

Last edited:
Based on the photos here, I'd say that the problem may be technique rather than gear. Correct panning technique takes a lot of practice regardless of camera brand. All of these shown rather disspells the theory that it is the camera. These (IMO) are really good pics done with the camera in question, So I would look at other factors that might be the culprit. Hope this helps in your quest for good photos.

Hello everyone! I'm from China and I love this site, I think the atmosphere here is great! I've been struggling lately, I want the A9III, but it's too expensive, even used it costs 35,000RMB (4,934$) and the pixels are too low! I'm considering the A1, but it's AF isn't very accurate! Especially for at BTF. i guess i should wait a bit more, like the A1II?
View attachment 97239

View attachment 97240
View attachment 97241
Beautiful pics!

Yes in the past few years I've used 600GM and 400GM and now 300GM. But I do have a lot of swallow shots with the A9/A9II and 200-600. I didn't use the 200-600 much with the A1 so not sure if I have many swallow shots with that combo.

Another great lens for swallows is the 100-400GM. The new 300GM is probably the very best lens Sony makes for swallows because it is very agile and the fastest focusing lens Sony makes and takes the TCs better than any other Sony lens.

A9II/200-600 and the 1.4TC:
March 29, 2020.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr

A9II/200-600:
April 05, 2020-2.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr
April 05, 2020.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr
Nice!

Yes in the past few years I've used 600GM and 400GM and now 300GM. But I do have a lot of swallow shots with the A9/A9II and 200-600. I didn't use the 200-600 much with the A1 so not sure if I have many swallow shots with that combo.

Another great lens for swallows is the 100-400GM. The new 300GM is probably the very best lens Sony makes for swallows because it is very agile and the fastest focusing lens Sony makes and takes the TCs better than any other Sony lens.

A9II/200-600 and the 1.4TC:
March 29, 2020.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr

A9II/200-600:
April 05, 2020-2.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr
April 05, 2020.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr
Stunning photos ... wonderful example of the wisdom that "what matters most is not the camera or lens used but the person behind the camera" :)

I feel you may have answered your own question, by saying the A9III is too low a resolution so for that reason its off the table.

If you ever want to shoot in DX to gain the perspective of longer reach, its at a huge compromise as the file sizes are smaller by comparison to a higher resolution sensor.

The A9III is a very different tool.

I would wait for the Sony A1 II if anything. Or go the A1.

The A1 is absolutely more than capable in the focusing department to meet all your needs.
Again i would wait for the A 1 II as there will be significant improvements on what is already a proven thoroughbred.

I feel dynamic range and resolution is very important, especially if your cropping at anytime, or shooting in DX mode which at times is very opportune, people often say you shouldn't crop, i disagree, crop if you have to or want to, filling the frame with the right glass is the first choice of course, but sometimes you cant.

While the 200-600 is a very nice lens, You will get nicer results with better glass, especially the bokah.

Rent before you buy has its merits.

Good Glass technique and light has far better results than just upgrading the body.

Short answer
I would go

A1
A1II

and work towards better glass.
Oh i am a Nikon Shooter by the way but have the up most respect for teh Sony gear.

If you want to experience stunning tracking you need to rent some Cannon tools, in my book it has the edge over the other two.

Only an opinion

I feel you may have answered your own question, by saying the A9III is too low a resolution so for that reason its off the table.

If you ever want to shoot in DX to gain the perspective of longer reach, its at a huge compromise as the file sizes are smaller by comparison to a higher resolution sensor.

The A9III is a very different tool.

I would wait for the Sony A1 II if anything. Or go the A1.

The A1 is absolutely more than capable in the focusing department to meet all your needs.
Again i would wait for the A 1 II as there will be significant improvements on what is already a proven thoroughbred.

I feel dynamic range and resolution is very important, especially if your cropping at anytime, or shooting in DX mode which at times is very opportune, people often say you shouldn't crop, i disagree, crop if you have to or want to, filling the frame with the right glass is the first choice of course, but sometimes you cant.

While the 200-600 is a very nice lens, You will get nicer results with better glass, especially the bokah.

Rent before you buy has its merits.

Good Glass technique and light has far better results than just upgrading the body.

Short answer
I would go

A1
A1II

and work towards better glass.
Oh i am a Nikon Shooter by the way but have the up most respect for teh Sony gear.

If you want to experience stunning tracking you need to rent some Cannon tools, in my book it has the edge over the other two.

Only an opinion
Yes, I can already see the A1ii in the A9iii :) of course the A1ii will definitely follow the A1 coms, no need to question that.

Back