iMac Cleaning

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Whiskeyman

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I recently watched a video concerning the conversion of an old 27-inch iMac into a 27-inch 5K Retina display for use with a Mac Studio or a Mac mini. I saw how much dust was inside the machine as the teardown was completed, and now I'm concerned that my machines are also inundated with internal dust.

I know that there are several iMac users on the forum, and I'd like to know if any of them have ever had their iMac cleaned internally. In addition, I'd like to know if you accomplished the task yourself, or had someone else do it. If someone else cleaned your machine, I'd like to know who did it for you and a ballpark idea of the cost. Any suggestions you have on the subject are welcome.

Thanks!

I've never cleaned iMacs on the inside, not do I have the impression that any dust has ever caused a problem. Several iMacs have served for 5+ years. So I think you don't need to worry about it...

I'll second that. No need for cleaning, but if you really want to, then you can use some compressed air with a relatively low pressure and just blow that through the ventilation openings.

But honestly, I would not worry about it.

I recently watched a video concerning the conversion of an old 27-inch iMac into a 27-inch 5K Retina display for use with a Mac Studio or a Mac mini. I saw how much dust was inside the machine as the teardown was completed, and now I'm concerned that my machines are also inundated with internal dust.

I know that there are several iMac users on the forum, and I'd like to know if any of them have ever had their iMac cleaned internally. In addition, I'd like to know if you accomplished the task yourself, or had someone else do it. If someone else cleaned your machine, I'd like to know who did it for you and a ballpark idea of the cost. Any suggestions you have on the subject are welcome.

Thanks!
Not an issue. But if you wanted to it wouldn’t be practical. They are extremely difficult to disassemble and reassemble. They are constructed in such a way that they are not meant to be taken apart especially for that particular reason.

I replaced my hard drive to an SSD and when inside there was light dust. That was this year and it’s a 2017 iMac. I keep a clean house and replace HVAC filters every 60 days. It was not any level of dust that had me concerned. I’ve seen folks have dusty work areas that don’t keep up with cleaning and I suspect the inside of their machine is pretty bad.

Back