Importing files from cardreader

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Snedker1

Supporting Member
Hi
I'm using adobe cc and Adobe Brigde on a Win pc . Until recently i've just plug the qxd in an older Sony reader and Brigde recognized my files from D500 or D850 and i choose import . Now with a new Sony reader and Cf-express b cards from my z9 ....Brigde dosen't find anything ! Card reader do show in windows and the files i also shown as Nef's . I can open a file i Photoshop and work with it , but i miss the possibilities to see the pictures in Brigde and choose the files i like to import , some files is unsharp and bad looking so to save time and space !
any ideas ?
kind regards
jan
ps: same result with my new Delkin card reader and my card is Delkin Black 325 GB

More info is needed I think. Is this only a problem in Bridge? For example if you use lightroom classic import module does it work normally? In bridge If you connect to the camera using a cable does it work normally?

The lightroom classic develop module is identical in function to Adobe camera raw. Photoshop doesn't work on raw files directly. They have to be converted to a pixel based file first in a raw converter. No practical difference between doing that in Adobe camera raw vs. lightroom classic.

But my question was whether the card reader problem is only happening in Bridge or also happening in other programs like lightroom classic import module.

I use a Sony card reader with CFe card, on a PC, use Bridge/ACR and Photoshop all on a PC. After connecting the card reader with a card in it to the PC, just open Bridge. Navigate to THIS PC. Then you should be able to see the card reader and navigate to the DCIM folder where the files are. You can then select the files and copy them to your PC, or work on them while they are on the card. There is no reason to use Lightroom if you like Bridge and Photoshop, unless you want the catalogue features of Lightroom Classic.

many thanks !
it worked very well , but its a new way to do it. but how do you mark/unmark alle the files you want to copy to a folder on pc ?
previous i just marked/unmarked files and the hit the "copy files" and would be copied to folders created by date !
kind regards
jan

many thanks !
it worked very well , but its a new way to do it. but how do you mark/unmark alle the files you want to copy to a folder on pc ?
previous i just marked/unmarked files and the hit the "copy files" and would be copied to folders created by date !
kind regards
jan
Did you mark them in Bridge before? Or ????

You can open the card while it is in the card reader, use Bridge to mark the files (I use Stars) then select only the star rated images and copy those to your PC. Bridge shouldn't be any different than you used it before.

Or maybe I'm not understanding ....

No you are spot on 🙂 i never used star rating before !
Using the "get photos from camera" option i was given all the files marked an i could unmark those i don't want to copy to pc an click "transfer" then it was a batch copying on auto and folders were made with date and so on.
Now i have to do a little more to get it done
with my new z9 and 15 or 20 photos/sec i'll have to look more carefully before copying to pc .
It seems that i have more to learn besides the shift from dslr to mirrorless 🙂

No you are spot on 🙂 i never used star rating before !
Using the "get photos from camera" option i was given all the files marked an i could unmark those i don't want to copy to pc an click "transfer" then it was a batch copying on auto and folders were made with date and so on.
Now i have to do a little more to get it done
with my new z9 and 15 or 20 photos/sec i'll have to look more carefully before copying to pc .
It seems that i have more to learn besides the shift from dslr to mirrorless 🙂
You can still use "Get Photos from Camera"......I've just never used it. I want to do some culling before moving a bunch of photos onto my PC.

Do you use Adobe Camera Raw to process your raw files?

No i can't , at least not in the old way
when i'm using the "get photos" Brigde don't see the card/cardreader as usual , yes camera raw and always updated

Bridge is using the embedded jpg portion of the raw file and so is much faster than using an application that creates the preview images. The same applies to FastRawViewer that is a real time saver for those using other applications.

Hi
I'm using adobe cc and Adobe Brigde on a Win pc . Until recently i've just plug the qxd in an older Sony reader and Brigde recognized my files from D500 or D850 and i choose import . Now with a new Sony reader and Cf-express b cards from my z9 ....Brigde dosen't find anything ! Card reader do show in windows and the files i also shown as Nef's . I can open a file i Photoshop and work with it , but i miss the possibilities to see the pictures in Brigde and choose the files i like to import , some files is unsharp and bad looking so to save time and space !
any ideas ?
kind regards
jan
ps: same result with my new Delkin card reader and my card is Delkin Black 325 GB
Not sure if this is the issue you are experiencing or not, but figured I'd give it a whirl...

Delkin CFexpress readers come in either "fixed", or "removable" mode. "Fixed" mode provides faster performance in Windows machines, but some Adobe type programs didn't/don't recognize "fixed" mode the way you would typically expect.

The issue you discuss indicates that your Delkin reader may be in "fixed" mode. Check which mode it is in via instructions below.

In MACs, insert the CFexpress card into the connected Delkin reader. If the card shows up as a Gold colored icon on the desktop when plugged into the Delkin reader, the reader is in "fixed" mode. If the icon shows up as Silver in color, this indicates the reader is in "removable" mode.

In Windows, insert the CFexpress card into the connected Delkin reader. The mode can be detected by Right-Clicking the "START" button (bottom left of screen) and selecting "Disk Management". If the card shows up as "Basic" in the left column, then the reader is in "fixed" mode". If it shows up as "Removable" in the left column, then the reader is in "removable" mode.

If the reader shows as "removable" then this is not the potential solution to the problem you are fighting. If the reader shows as "fixed", then below may hold the solution to the issue you are experiencing.

Delkin provided a utility to switch back and forth between "fixed" and "removable" modes. This utility only runs in Windows. You only need to run the utility one time to change the mode of the reader. The utility is located at delkindevices dot com>> SUPPORT>>PRODUCT_HELP, then read the first topic of the page. Link to a Windows utility is there.

NOTES:
WINDOWS UTILITY ONLY.
DDREADER-54 CFexpress Type B
DDREADER-56 CFexpress Type B + SDXC UHS-II
DDREADER-58 CFexpress TYPE A + SDXC UHS-II

I hope this helps.

Back