Importing RAW files into Lightroom Classic

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi All.
Quick question. Noticed when I open a RAW file in Lightroom Classic recently some processing has been added (Sliders not at 0). Speaking to Adobe they changed the preset settings in Preferences from Adobe Default to Camera Settings. Adobe Default adds nothing Camera Settings adds some processing. Which do you find better to use?

You didn't mention which brand of camera. If it's Nikon this article will inform on the interplay. Almost everyone prefers the Camera Settings.
You can choose under Preferences>Presets.

I actually no longer use either. I use a linear profile and the instruction here. You will find the images less saturate but the colors more true. You will have to make contrast adjustments as you like. The ease of using this method has been greatly enhanced by "Select Subject" and "Select Background"

You could also add your own preset to that initial set of adjustments, very flexible. I find I don't care because if using lightroom I run down every slider for each photo. Sometimes i like the profile for Adobe color, more often camera matching, even more often the profile from colorchecker.

Has anyone experienced importing older version cat files into the latest version of LrC? I seem to get some info across but images are blank.

Like others above, I use Camera Settings on import.
Thanks, Dave; I am importing from a V8 or 9 catalogue file. It has 70K images. On completion in Grid View or Edit View, I can see none of them. I think there may be some sort of step-up through versions to the most recent problem. Another way to think about this is, how old a version of a LrC catalogue, can be directly imported into V13?

Thanks, Dave; I am importing from a V8 or 9 catalogue file. It has 70K images. On completion in Grid View or Edit View, I can see none of them. I think there may be some sort of step-up through versions to the most recent problem. Another way to think about this is, how old a version of a LrC catalogue, can be directly imported into V13?
Honestly I've never tried to import an entire LRC catalog but it seems there's at least two steps there: pointing to the older catalog you want to import from and then perhaps more importantly, pointing to the actual folders where the image files exist for import. Are these the steps you followed as described here: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/catalog-faq-lightroom.html#:~:text=Choose File > Import From Another,photos you want to import.

If so, then yeah maybe there's a catalog compatibility problem but from the symptoms you describe of not seeing the actual photos it sounds like you may have added the older catalog to the new catalog but not necessarily imported all the images that were in that catalog. IOW, the images themselves don't reside in the catalog, it's just an index to images in storage folders so it's important to import both the older catalog and the actual images indexed in that catalog from your storage folders.

Maybe that's exactly what you've done and it's a legacy compatibility problem but it sounds like the catalog (indexing, edit history, ratings, keywords, collections, etc.) was added but the actual files were not imported.

Back