Infrared Conversion Suppliers?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

iSequoia

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I have a Z7 that’s gathering dust and am tempted to convert it to full spectrum so I can use different IR and other filters. Two companies that I have looked at are LifePIxel and Kolari. Their prices for conversion are about the same as are the prices of Kolari’s internal filters and LifePixel’s magnet external filters.

I have several Z lenses and know that some do not work so well in IR but looking over the Kolari database I think I have some good choices.

Does anyone have a preference for either of these companies or perhaps another source that they like? I’m in the US if that matters. -John

LifePixel is the leader and provides a lot of tutorials on processing IR images with Photoshop. I had them do a D610 as I needed Live View with IR to be able to focus. One is dependent on manual focusing and this also affects lens choices. I had a Sigma 24-105mm lens that was virtually impossible to manually focus and I ended up selling the lens.

wonder if there is an advantage of converting a z 6 vs z 7? Does the extra MP show up in prints or is the resolution limited by lens and sensor technology (not optimized for IR)?

I’ve had IR cameras from both… Fuji X and Nikon Z. I can’t say I found a major difference, but I’ve only shot 720nm-ish conversions, so I can’t speak for full-spectrum conversions.

If you like shooting B&W landscapes, I highly recommend IR. It gives you a fun thing to do during harsh noon-day sun.

I've just bought a mint Z5 with only 1600 shutter actuations to convert to IR. I'll be going down the 720nm route. I was going to get one of my Fuji XT- 4s converted, but it is far too capable a camera to convert so I PX'd it for the Z5 that only cost me my XT-4 + 60GPB.

I’ve only ever used lifepixel and have been happy with them. The next time I have a camera converted it will be full spectrum as I like the idea of it being more flexible. They usually have a sale on conversion around Black Friday if you're not in a rush.

I have a Z7 that’s gathering dust and am tempted to convert it to full spectrum so I can use different IR and other filters. Two companies that I have looked at are LifePIxel and Kolari. Their prices for conversion are about the same as are the prices of Kolari’s internal filters and LifePixel’s magnet external filters.

I have several Z lenses and know that some do not work so well in IR but looking over the Kolari database I think I have some good choices.

Does anyone have a preference for either of these companies or perhaps another source that they like? I’m in the US if that matters. -John
I used LifePixel for my full spectrum conversion of my Z5. I thought they did an excellent job.

I've also invested in Kolari's snap in IR and Astro filters, which to me was a game changer. A good IR filter is expensive. I bought 77mm IR filters only to find I had to purchase 82mm filters if I want to use my Nikon Z 14-30 f/4 lens. The clip-in filters magnetically clip-in over the sensor, which lets me use any lens in my collection. This also lets me lenses that can not mount filters. I also bought their clip-in CUT filter for when I want to use the Z5 as a normal camera, like when I'm traveling with my wife and know that carrying a Z9 is unnecessary. Changing the clip-in filters are relatively easy, but in a dusty environment, less desirable than a screw on filter over the lens.

Besides LifePixel and Kolari IR hotspot lists, a search will yield other lists that give insight of missing lenses. Generally I find that AI/AIS lenses make good IR candidates. It appears to me that the more complex the lens and coatings, the more troublesome they are in hotspots.

Dave

Kolari also sells the CLiR Infrared Photography Mastery (IR Course and Software.( I found that course and PS plugin to be very useful.

CS-wise I had an X-T5 converted to 840nm by LifePixel. The conversion was fine, but the results from the camera weren’t great. I got quite a lot of banding. It looked like PDAF sensor banding to me, but I can’t say for certain.

I spoke with LifePixel and they took the camera back for free, for testing. I sent them the camera and a couple lenses (it seemed to happen more with some lenses than others).

They tested the camera, asked me for more samples of my own (including samples from my older 740nm X-T20). They were able to reproduce the issue, and after their own testing concluded it was a camera noise pattern.

The difference between the results of the X-T20 and X-T5 were mostly up to the lower SNR of the X-T5 due to the combination of the more-restrictive 820mm filter and the noisier sensor.

I had them convert the camera to 740nm (I paid a discounted rate), and they shipped it back to me. With “more light”, the X-T5’s pattern noise ended up below the noise floor in decent light, and the problem went away.

I’m happy with the CS I got from LifePixel. I was taking a bit of a chance by ‘pioneering’ with the new sensor, and it didn’t work out.

Thanks everyone. It’s becoming clear that converting to IR isn’t a simple matter of converting the camera and selecting a filter. Still, the results are facinating and I thingk the results will be worth the cash and fresh learnign curve. -John

Back