Inquiry: Venice Rookery, Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Sanibel

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello: This is my first post, I have been searching the forum for info on bird photography in Florida in preparation for an upcoming trip at the end of next month (March 2024). I’d appreciate it if anyone has current information on the Venice Rookery (how it is since Hurricane Ian) as well as Fort Myers beach & Sanibel for shorebirds and Cape Coral for burrowing owls. The last time I was there was in April 2019 and I want to return but am wondering if the places that I went to in 2019 are still good after the hurricane. I plan to start my trip in St. Augustine and the forum has provided a lot of information on the Alligator Farm (which is helpful since this will be my first visit there) but I have not found much info on the current state of SW Florida. Any birding and general tips on the state of the Fort Myers area (where I am thinking of staying) would be appreciated for planning purposes. From what I’ve found online, it seems the Fort Myers Pier and Naples Pier are closed and won’t provide landscape / sunset photo ops – if you have any thoughts on that, I'd appreciate them along with info about the status of locations in the area for bird photography. Thanks - Annette

One of my favorite spots down that way is Bunche Beach. At low tide there is a huge shallow mud flat with a big selection of shore birds including Oystercatchers, Black Skimmers, Redish Egrets and also Spoonbills. After parking I walk to the right along the shore and into the mud flats. If you don’t like mud this wouldn’t be a place for you. I also have photographed American Avocets there. If you check ebird you can see what is hanging around when you are in the area.

I recommend two cypress swamp areas nearby. One is Six Mile Slough east of Fort Myers. https://www.sloughpreserve.org/

Another is the Audubon Corkscrew Swamp a little to the south towards Naples. You can find that one by doing an internet search.
Both have great birds and open early, I believe.

The beaches of Sanibel and at Bunche Beach are great! Shorebirds, terns, and many others will give you great photo opportunities. In my experience, you can walk right up to many of the flocks on the beach.
Have a great trip.

Not trying to scare you, only heighten your awareness because it happened to me. If you're hiking in and around mudflats, please be cognizant of the quality of the soil you're walking on.

I was hiking at Fort DeSota Park several years ago and ended up in quicksand to about mid-calf. It didn't want to let go of my shoes and I ended up laying my brand new 5D4 down and flattening myself out in order to extricate myself. Life was pretty exciting there for a bit because there was noone else around. ;)

Hello: This is my first post, I have been searching the forum for info on bird photography in Florida in preparation for an upcoming trip at the end of next month (March 2024). I’d appreciate it if anyone has current information on the Venice Rookery (how it is since Hurricane Ian) as well as Fort Myers beach & Sanibel for shorebirds and Cape Coral for burrowing owls. The last time I was there was in April 2019 and I want to return but am wondering if the places that I went to in 2019 are still good after the hurricane. I plan to start my trip in St. Augustine and the forum has provided a lot of information on the Alligator Farm (which is helpful since this will be my first visit there) but I have not found much info on the current state of SW Florida. Any birding and general tips on the state of the Fort Myers area (where I am thinking of staying) would be appreciated for planning purposes. From what I’ve found online, it seems the Fort Myers Pier and Naples Pier are closed and won’t provide landscape / sunset photo ops – if you have any thoughts on that, I'd appreciate them along with info about the status of locations in the area for bird photography. Thanks - Annette
Hi Annette,
Welcome.
Hi Annette,
Welcome. If you’re in the area the Circle B Bar Reserve is an excellent place to go. It’s in Polk County Florida. I was there last June. Here is the link:
If you’re interested in a Bird Rookery closer to home, there is one in Ocean City, NJ. I live in NJ and have visited it several times. It is incredible. It is located directly opposite the welcome center which on the causeway (rt.52) before you enter Ocean City. Best time to go is in June. There are nesting great egrets, night herons, little blue heron, white ibis, glossy ibis etc. There are two levels in which you can photograph. There is the upper level which is at tree top level and the lower ground level. You take the NJ parkway to exit 30 and then get on rt. 52. The welcome center is on Rt. 52

Hi Annette,
Welcome.

Hi Annette,
Welcome. If you’re in the area the Circle B Bar Reserve is an excellent place to go. It’s in Polk County Florida. I was there last June. Here is the link:
If you’re interested in a Bird Rookery closer to home, there is one in Ocean City, NJ. I live in NJ and have visited it several times. It is incredible. It is located directly opposite the welcome center which on the causeway (rt.52) before you enter Ocean City. Best time to go is in June. There are nesting great egrets, night herons, little blue heron, white ibis, glossy ibis etc. There are two levels in which you can photograph. There is the upper level which is at tree top level and the lower ground level. You take the NJ parkway to exit 30 and then get on rt. 52. The welcome center is on Rt. 52
Hi Ralph: Thank you very much for the information! I am planning to go to Circle B while traveling between St. Augustine and Fort Myers. Thanks so much for the info on NJ. I want to get over there sometime as I've heard about Sandy Hook so I'll keep the Rookery near OC in mind, too.

One of my favorite spots down that way is Bunche Beach. At low tide there is a huge shallow mud flat with a big selection of shore birds including Oystercatchers, Black Skimmers, Redish Egrets and also Spoonbills. After parking I walk to the right along the shore and into the mud flats. If you don’t like mud this wouldn’t be a place for you. I also have photographed American Avocets there. If you check ebird you can see what is hanging around when you are in the area.
Thank you, Roy! I went to Bunche Beach in 2019 and do want to go back. I just wasn't sure how the area was doing after the hurricane. I'll bring muck boots! Thanks - Annette

I recommend two cypress swamp areas nearby. One is Six Mile Slough east of Fort Myers. https://www.sloughpreserve.org/

Another is the Audubon Corkscrew Swamp a little to the south towards Naples. You can find that one by doing an internet search.
Both have great birds and open early, I believe.

The beaches of Sanibel and at Bunche Beach are great! Shorebirds, terns, and many others will give you great photo opportunities. In my experience, you can walk right up to many of the flocks on the beach.
Have a great trip.
Thank you, Alan! Ding Darling is on my list (just not sure about getting over the causeway - read that there's a lot of traffic with construction workers; so, I'll allow extra time). I appreciate the info on the other places, I'll look them up and add them to my list!

Not trying to scare you, only heighten your awareness because it happened to me. If you're hiking in and around mudflats, please be cognizant of the quality of the soil you're walking on.

I was hiking at Fort DeSota Park several years ago and ended up in quicksand to about mid-calf. It didn't want to let go of my shoes and I ended up laying my brand new 5D4 down and flattening myself out in order to extricate myself. Life was pretty exciting there for a bit because there was noone else around. ;)
Yikes, thanks very much for the warning, I appreciate it! Glad you and your gear survived that unfortunate incident.

Thank you, Alan! Ding Darling is on my list (just not sure about getting over the causeway - read that there's a lot of traffic with construction workers; so, I'll allow extra time). I appreciate the info on the other places, I'll look them up and add them to my list!

Also, welcome to the forum! I've found it to be a friendly and informative place.

Also, welcome to the forum! I've found it to be a friendly and informative place.
Thank you, Alan. I spent a significant amount of time today reading through the posts about St. Augustine's Alligator Farm and some of the threads about Nikon gear. It is definitely informative an I'm glad to be here and hope I can add something.

AnnetteACA, I'll answer your question concerning Venice Rookery. I was there on or around May 11, 2024 and I couldn't tell that there was any lasting damage from Hurricane Ian, or any other hurricane. I was at Blue Cypress Lake (BCL) just prior to this and our guide indicated that there were a lot of Osprey nests and trees that were abandoned/damaged by the storms. BCL was still a good place to visit with a guide & boat, photographically, although there weren't as many Ospreys as I had expected to see. At the time, the nearby Stick Marsh was under a water drawdown and I have to believe that that may have been a factor in the count. Anyhow, back to Venice Rookery, I was there on about May 11, and there wasn't much going on, as apparently most of the broods had fledged and the adults had mostly left, as well.

Can I assume that you'll visit in April? If so, that's good for the Saint Augustine Alligator Farm, as I do believe that they are starting the Photographer Pass early entry and extended hours on March 3 this year. Review the early entry procedures carefully and plan to arrive early, since you never know what kind of delays you might encounter, even early in the AM, while driving in Saint Augustine. I'd say give yourself an 10-15 minute cushion, to make it into the line to get in the early pass door on time. SAAF Photo Pass Info One change I'm making to my techniques at the SAAF is to take my tallest tripod, a Gitzo 55 series that, with the head puts my camera at about 6'6" off of the boardwalk, along with a folding step stool to get my eye up to the viewfinder. There were a lot of nests where the chicks were hidden behind nest materials when viewed through the viewfinder at about 5'6" up from the boardwalk, and the extra extension will hopefully help me to get an improved view of the nest's inhabitants.

Best of luck on your trip, welcome to the BCG forums and I look forward to seeing photos from your trip.

AnnetteACA, I'll answer your question concerning Venice Rookery. I was there on or around May 11, 2024 and I couldn't tell that there was any lasting damage from Hurricane Ian, or any other hurricane. I was at Blue Cypress Lake (BCL) just prior to this and our guide indicated that there were a lot of Osprey nests and trees that were abandoned/damaged by the storms. BCL was still a good place to visit with a guide & boat, photographically, although there weren't as many Ospreys as I had expected to see. At the time, the nearby Stick Marsh was under a water drawdown and I have to believe that that may have been a factor in the count. Anyhow, back to Venice Rookery, I was there on about May 11, and there wasn't much going on, as apparently most of the broods had fledged and the adults had mostly left, as well.

Can I assume that you'll visit in April? If so, that's good for the Saint Augustine Alligator Farm, as I do believe that they are starting the Photographer Pass early entry and extended hours on March 3 this year. Review the early entry procedures carefully and plan to arrive early, since you never know what kind of delays you might encounter, even early in the AM, while driving in Saint Augustine. I'd say give yourself an 10-15 minute cushion, to make it into the line to get in the early pass door on time. SAAF Photo Pass Info One change I'm making to my techniques at the SAAF is to take my tallest tripod, a Gitzo 55 series that, with the head puts my camera at about 6'6" off of the boardwalk, along with a folding step stool to get my eye up to the viewfinder. There were a lot of nests where the chicks were hidden behind nest materials when viewed through the viewfinder at about 5'6" up from the boardwalk, and the extra extension will hopefully help me to get an improved view of the nest's inhabitants.

Best of luck on your trip, welcome to the BCG forums and I look forward to seeing photos from your trip.
Thank you, Wayne! I'm actually going to be down there in late March; so, I'll likely miss the chicks. Thank you for all the information, I was worried about the photog pass as I went on the Farms' website and it only lists an annual pass and I had heard about a 2-day pass; so, I will look for that after 3/3. I appreciate the tip about building in a cushion for traffic. If you have any lens focal length recommendations for at the Alligator Farm, I'd appreciate them - I've read that sometimes the birds can be quite close. I prefer to shoot primes (300mm and 500mm) but do have an 80-200mm and 200-500 zoom however they don't focus as fast as the primes. For bodies, I have one full frame and one 1.5 crop sensor. Many thanks - Annette

Thank you, Wayne! I'm actually going to be down there in late March; so, I'll likely miss the chicks. Thank you for all the information, I was worried about the photog pass as I went on the Farms' website and it only lists an annual pass and I had heard about a 2-day pass; so, I will look for that after 3/3. I appreciate the tip about building in a cushion for traffic. If you have any lens focal length recommendations for at the Alligator Farm, I'd appreciate them - I've read that sometimes the birds can be quite close. I prefer to shoot primes (300mm and 500mm) but do have an 80-200mm and 200-500 zoom however they don't focus as fast as the primes. For bodies, I have one full frame and one 1.5 crop sensor. Many thanks - Annette
Annette, as far as lenses for the SAAF go, you'll likely be able to use any telephoto lens you take with you. However, no matter which lens/lenses you do take with you, you're likely to wish that you had at least one more, because the photo opportunities are so varied. I've visited there five or six times over the last few years, and every time I've wanted a different lens at some point, often having two cameras with a 70-200mm, and either a 300mm, 500mm or 600mm, along with a 1.4 TC, used as I preferred. But I was also using two full frame cameras. I've used the 70-200 along its entire focal length range, with some birds being very close to the boardwalk. I'd definitely take your 80-200.

Of course, your two zooms would give you the most versatile coverage. Even though they might not focus as fast as the primes, since a lot of the shots are likely going to be of birds on the limb, that might not matter as much.

One of the BCG forum participants, BobbyV, lives in St Augustine, and I'd consider him the source of the best local knowledge about the farm. You also might try reaching out to him via PM to ask for his advice.

Venice is fine…but only in the morning as evenings everything is backlit. Corkscrew is also great, as is Fort DeSoto, Circle Bar B, Lake Apopka, and Black point Drive. Myakka is hit or miss for us, same with Six Mile. Sanibel is just way too crowded for us. Orlando Wetlands is hit or miss but better than Apopka and Six Mile but not as good as Black Point or Circle Bar B.

Annette, as far as lenses for the SAAF go, you'll likely be able to use any telephoto lens you take with you. However, no matter which lens/lenses you do take with you, you're likely to wish that you had at least one more, because the photo opportunities are so varied. I've visited there five or six times over the last few years, and every time I've wanted a different lens at some point, often having two cameras with a 70-200mm, and either a 300mm, 500mm or 600mm, along with a 1.4 TC, used as I preferred. But I was also using two full frame cameras. I've used the 70-200 along its entire focal length range, with some birds being very close to the boardwalk. I'd definitely take your 80-200.

Of course, your two zooms would give you the most versatile coverage. Even though they might not focus as fast as the primes, since a lot of the shots are likely going to be of birds on the limb, that might not matter as much.

One of the BCG forum participants, BobbyV, lives in St Augustine, and I'd consider him the source of the best local knowledge about the farm. You also might try reaching out to him via PM to ask for his advice.
Thank you very much, Wayne, greatly appreciate all the info! - Annette

Venice is fine…but only in the morning as evenings everything is backlit. Corkscrew is also great, as is Fort DeSoto, Circle Bar B, Lake Apopka, and Black point Drive. Myakka is hit or miss for us, same with Six Mile. Sanibel is just way too crowded for us. Orlando Wetlands is hit or miss but better than Apopka and Six Mile but not as good as Black Point or Circle Bar B.
Thank you, I appreciate your comments. - Annette

Back