Interesting side by side images from scratched vs. unscratched front lens elements

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

bleirer

Bill, Cleveland OH.
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Bottom line, it doesn't make that much difference.

Bottom line, it doesn't make that much difference.

Bill,

Thanks for the link to the lens rental site. Even though a scratched front element may not affect image quality that much, it certainly will decrease the resale value of your lens. A lot of us are moving to mirrorless and may want to trade in our old dSLR lenses and having used a filter may have been a good investment. It is interesting to note that Roger Cicalla initially provided a UV filter with rental lenses, then omitted it, and finally went back to supplying them with his rentals. After Steve posted an article with his experiments on the amount of protection from impact damage afforded by a UV filter there was a lot of discussion on the pros and cons of a filter.

Personally, I use B+W filters on my lenses but with using a lens hood and with reasonable precautions I have not damaged the protective filter on any lens and conclude that those expensive filters didn't save me money on resale of old lenses. Nonetheless, I still feel more comfortable with the filter in place and Roger seems to feel the same.

Bill

Back