iPad to read Steve's eBooks

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

JoelKlein

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hi,
After I paid $200 to print the Secret to Z9 book, Ver 3.0 came around.
I like reading on a full-size paper. If always printing new books doesn't make sense, Which model iPad would fulfill that need?
I won't use the iPad for any post-processing. Just for reading books comfortably.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

the new kindle scribe might be worth looking at since it would give you something most closely approximating paper (albeit b&w).

pretty much any ipad will be fine. the new base models for example.

note to read his book on the kindle app you need to downsize it slightly. (kindle has a 50MB document size limit). you can use the following app to resize it slightly. just open it and then go to "save optimized".
https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor

you can then use the send-to-kindle app to send it to your library.

It will mostly depend on the size you want. They have kind of converged in that the base iPad, the iPad Air and the 11" are now almost the same size, just slightly different features and processors. All will suffice, and the smaller models are quite handy, but the large iPad is also a joy to use if you do not mind its larger size. Hard to go wrong.

Good luck,

--Ken

When you say that you like reading on full-size paper, the only device that comes close to that is the iPad Pro 12.9" which is pretty close to the 8.5 x 11" of a sheet of paper. I use that size for sheet music because it is very close to what I can print out. But it is a lot of money (i.e. starting at $1000 US) for just reading. I do like reading on a kindle though but you give up color and size, but it is easier on the eyes and it's great for reading outdoors even in bright sunlight – and kindle battery life is on the order of days rather than hours.

Hi,
I like reading on a full-size paper. If always printing new books doesn't make sense, Which model iPad would fulfill that need?
I won't use the iPad for any post-processing. Just for reading books comfortably.

I use an iPad mini for reading books, including Steve's books. You can get around the size limit by downloading the book in the browser, and then you have an option to open it in either apple's Books or the Kindle app. I open it in both, so I can read it in either one. Once you open it, it remains in your library and you don't need the browser to read it.

Hi,

Any iPad will work well for Steve’s books. Apple has an app called BOOKs which comes with every Apple iPad, iPhone, and computer. You just import the book directly into books and start reading. You can create collections of any kind. It’s a great app. And you have access to it on any Apple device. All Steves books are in one collection and you just keep adding to it. I also use it for any pdf I have. For example, if I have a receipt from Amazon, I just print the receipt directly into books as a pdf. No paper involved.

There is no Kindle that supports color?

Regarding iPads.
I did allot of thinking about it. I have an iPhone 13 and I know the effect of using an electronic device before going to sleep… Only a quick check-in the forums, email, pictures, etc… while the time flyby.
Where’s reading on a physical paper, Its a different story. My issue is printing and binding 400 pages.

I’m going to do some R&D about it.
Paying for a print center $175-$200 for every book and updated book, doesn’t make sense.

I have an HP color laser printer, The question is how much the toner would cost me, and then I have to get it bind it. How does a binder cost?

I’m doing R&D. All options are in the table.

cost wise, printing doesn’t make much sense.

the ipad solutions are just fine. they have some modes to reduce blue output. not perfect, but a step in the direction

personally i have an ipad mini and i like it a lot and use it a lot
Yep I agree and I am a book guy. The iPad mini works out great and is easy to stuff into a backpack.

Also if I recall correctly, Steve often has 'colored word links' within his narrative that one can click on to port one back to some early comment on a certain feature. Very fast and handy if one needs a refresher, which can't be done in a hard print edition. Just my 2 cents.

Hi,

Any of them except the mini will work fine. I've got an Air 4th gen and it's just fine albeit I shift it to portrait orientation to get maximum page size. The large size Pro will give you closest to reading it printed on 8x11 paper…but the Air is just dandy if you don't want the expense or size of the large Pro.

You can use honestly any iPad to read it just fine. I still have an old iPad 3 which I kept solely to make it a book reading device at home (I have a newer iPad I do other, more serious, work on). The ancient relic still works great. You can probably pick up a used one online in the $50-150 range, depending on condition.

But, I caution, they are addictive. ;) I absolutely love iPads and have a newer one which goes nearly everywhere with me. You may find yourself wanting to buy a newer one after you've tried an older one!

And if you decide to buy a brand new one, I highly encourage getting AppleCare. I worked in IT for about a decade and have seen it all when it comes to equipment damage. AppleCare is a necessity. I've had multiple ipads replaced for free or cheap with it (and also cheap repairs on my laptop when my naughty puppy broke the screen). 100% worth it.

I concur with @jadewolf about AppleCare. I have dropped my iPad twice and chipped the glass. With apple care, it only cost a nominal fee to exchange it for a refurbished one instead of hundreds. AppleCare has definitely paid for itself.

I use a Kindle Fire, not as large a screen as you like but for those with a Kindle device you can send the PDF to your Kindle up to 200 MB. Free to use at
https://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle I just sent both the mirrorless autofocus guide and the set up guide. worked with no issues for me
I use my 8" Kindle Fire and find it adequate. I send a Dropbox link to my email address and download it onto the tablet

There is no Kindle that supports color?

Regarding iPads.
I did allot of thinking about it. I have an iPhone 13 and I know the effect of using an electronic device before going to sleep… Only a quick check-in the forums, email, pictures, etc… while the time flyby.
Where’s reading on a physical paper, Its a different story. My issue is printing and binding 400 pages.

I’m going to do some R&D about it.
Paying for a print center $175-$200 for every book and updated book, doesn’t make sense.

I have an HP color laser printer, The question is how much the toner would cost me, and then I have to get it bind it. How does a binder cost?

I’m doing R&D. All options are in the table.
Not only is it great for Steve’s books but I do almost all by photo editing on it as well.

It's not iPad but my 8 inch Samsung held horizontally is fine for me for reading. For general reading I run the kindle app, but other things like Steve's books, It displays PDF. I like that it is small enough to hold in one hand and still not bulky like a full size one. On sale now I saw for $149.

I would look at the current and last generation iPad Air models. They have nicer displays than standard iPads and cost less than iPad Pros. Technically both are overkill for reading, but will work great for any other task you want to do.

I would suggest any ipad. For what you will be using it for the I would find an iPad 7 or 8. Then I would purchase a Zagg Visionguard screen protector, it blocks the blue light. Purchasing an Air or Pro is overkill and just not cost effective. I own cell phone repair stores and do ipad repairs everyday. I would not waste extra money on the upper level ipads for just reading. You can usually find a refurb on Apple's site for a good price.

Back