Is having both AF-S 600MM F/4E FL ED VR and the Z800MM F/6.3 VRS redundant?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello there,

I am new here in the forum, I am about to move back to Nikon after 10 years of moving away to canon and sony and M4/3. It feels great to come home again after a long journey. I plan to get the Z9 with the Z800mm f6.3 lens. My main style is to walk around in the park, taking photos of birds along the way so a handholdable lens is a big plus for me. Sometimes we may do the photography in a bird-hide at the bird feeders. As most of the light in the bird feeders or in the woods in Thailand is rather low (easily iso 20,000 at F 6.3 and 1/500s), I am wondering if it is worth getting the 600mm F4 As well? I may have a good deal on used 600mm F4 E FL. My concern is that as most of the birds in the woods are rather far (10m and more) and small that I feel the 600mm will be a bit short. For example, an A6700 with 200-600mm zoom at eqv 900mm FL is still short sometimes. So I would like to get some opinions from experienced users if possible. Now I plan to get the Z800 but not sure if I should get the 600m f4 as well as funding is a concern too. The Z600mmF4 TC VRS would be a perfect choice but is still a dream for me at this point.

1. f4 and f6.3, 1 1/3 stop seems to be reasonable some light gaining (i.e iso can reduce from 20,000 to around 8000). In real life as camera is much cleaner with high iso, in the field, do we benefit this that much?

2. minimum focusing distance, 4.5m and 5m. Does 50cm make a big difference in real life? Many bird feeders in Thailand have a hide rather close to the bird, but I can’t figure out if 50 cm makes lot of difference. I would be surprised if the distances between the hides and the feeders are exactly with in 4.5 to 5m.

3. if I can get only one lens, which one should I get? If I do only bird feedings, 600mmf4 is an ideal, but for my shooting style, lighter lens is a big factor too. So now am circling in a loop again.

Thank you so much for all of suggestions.

Passakorn

Focal lengths are different too. Nothing beats getting closer and having larger aperture (which can be stepped down when needed, opening more is unfortunately impossible :D ). Maybe you need to rework the way you hide in the forest/near feeders (it may be more benefitial than buying a second lens)? 600 will give you different results and possibilities/flexibility than 800. Same goes for 400 2.8. 600 with a TC will be quite similar to bare 800 f6.3. So I would ask myself if I want to get some 'wider angles' shots with some environment (yeah ... wider with 600 haha) and more flexible setup - faster but shorter with possibility of adding a TC with very low IQ degradation or if 800 is the only focal length you would use. 800S is also super light - awesome when handholding, walking etc.

Usually you will pack only one super telephoto. So if you had two similar lenses - the chocie would have to be made when packing. With one lens there are fewer doubts.

Check out 600/6.3. It is new, cheaper than 800 and 600 and it must be way sharper than 180-600. Maybe that would be the lens that you need.

P.S. Sony 6700 with 200-600 is 900mm equiv. But so is a Crop from Z9 full frame. With both 600+tc and 800 cropped from Z9 will give you more equivalent reach.

Thank you very much for the comment. I find a good deal on the z800 f6.3 and I take it. A quick test turns out to be a stellar lens.
One thing surprises me is that, I look up on the web for the depth of field of the 800mm f6.3 and 600mm f4, and both seem to have the same depth of field at the same distance. Is this true in real life? I don”t have 600mm f4 to compare with. Most of the birds I am shooting are song birds which is rather small so 800mm seems to work well for me when the light is enough.
I think I am gonna have a temporary solution for closer/larger target by getting a much cheaper 180-600mm for now. I will get struck with the f6.3 but ability to shoot without a tripod is very important to me. If at the end I need more light will switch to 600mmF4EFL later. Anyway, how does the 600mmf4E perform with the Z9?

Passakorn

If handheld is a priority, the 600f4e is 8.5 pounds. Together with a 3 pound Z9, it's tough to handhold for any length of time. For me, the 800pf is very handholdable, but the 600f4e is past my limit and goes on the tripod.

I agree with you. I try to handhold the Z9 with 600f4e and it is very tired even for a short period so this set up will have to go on a tripod most of the time and it will limit the mobility quite a bit. I just got the Z180-600 too. I think pf800 focal length fits my need better. I will keep both for now and see which one I get more uses.

thank you very much the all the comments.

Back