Is it possible to view/edit directly off a SSD drive with an iPad Air M2?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've done some more transfer speed tests with the iPad Air M2 256GB, using the native Files app to transfer a directory containing 106GB of files ( 2049 .NEF files (FX & DX) with 21 .MOV files) from a Delkin Devices 325 GB CF Express B card in an Angelbird USB C card reader to a Samsung T5 SSD drive through a USB C to USB A cable, using the Caldigit USB C SOHO dock. The dock was powered during the transfer.

I had previously used the FileBrowser Pro app but this has hung on me a couple of times during transfers and also seems much slower.

Using the USB C hub, the 106GB transfer took 4 min and 39 seconds. I did the same transfer using the USB C ports on the front of my Mac Studio M1 and this took 4 minutes 36 seconds. Would the transfers have been even faster if I had used a T7 SSD drive !

This test suggests that file transfer times using a M2 iPad Air are no different from those using a desktop computer. They would also suggest that a M2 iPad should be more that adequate to facilitate file backup while out in the field, if powered by a USB C PD supply.

These results almost seem too good to be true but I did the iPad transfer test twice and got the same result. Is there a flaw in my methodology?
That is quick enough for me.

I've done some more transfer speed tests with the iPad Air M2 256GB, using the native Files app to transfer a directory containing 106GB of files ( 2049 .NEF files (FX & DX) with 21 .MOV files) from a Delkin Devices 325 GB CF Express B card in an Angelbird USB C card reader to a Samsung T5 SSD drive through a USB C to USB A cable, using the Caldigit USB C SOHO dock. The dock was powered during the transfer.

I had previously used the FileBrowser Pro app but this has hung on me a couple of times during transfers and also seems much slower.

Using the USB C hub, the 106GB transfer took 4 min and 39 seconds. I did the same transfer using the USB C ports on the front of my Mac Studio M1 and this took 4 minutes 36 seconds. Would the transfers have been even faster if I had used a T7 SSD drive !

This test suggests that file transfer times using a M2 iPad Air are no different from those using a desktop computer. They would also suggest that a M2 iPad should be more that adequate to facilitate file backup while out in the field, if powered by a USB C PD supply.

These results almost seem too good to be true but I did the iPad transfer test twice and got the same result. Is there a flaw in my methodology?
That is way faster than I recall mine working. Good report. That said I am still now inclined to update my MBA and take that since I can probably cull and edit a bunch of images on the flight home. In a way that's easier to carry if I use it for the backups too.

Back