Is now a decent time to buy a Z8? New vs used?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The other issue that no-one seems to have mentioned is: what is it worth to you to have an extra season of shooting with the new camera. I realize that the OP has already placed his order, but this might be a consideration for others contemplating a purchase, but unsure of when to buy. If you buy now, you will have the benefit of having the camera and learning how to use it for the rest of this summer (for those in the Northern Hemisphere) versus waiting and using your old camera for yet another season. What great pictures will you be missing out on because you don't have the benefit of the Z8 features? Although financial considerations are important (more for some than for others), life's decisions aren't exclusively about money.

I don't understand this statement - the Z8 started dropping in price a few months after its release, just before and during holiday promos (if I recall correctly). I remember because I paid full price, and had a slight moment of regret for not waiting and saving $300-$400. Regardless, at just around 1 year old, it's now been hovering right around $3500 / $500 off its original price for some time now.

I highly doubt the Z8 is going anywhere / getting updated any time soon. I also expect to see the new Z6III drop in price around the holidays, and even a little further in late winter / early spring of 2025. We're now looking at 3-4 year life cycles in many modern bodies, that certainly seems to be Nikon's pattern.

The only time that Nikon discounts a camera is when it is approaching its end of life and going to go out of production. The discount is to encourage people to buy the currently shipping cameras and not wait for the new model.

Nikon discounts for many reasons. The Z8 was discounted in February when I bought it and now again. It is not due for replacement yet. Remember Nikon is a Japanese company. It sets prices worldwide at release. Then it adjust prices worldwide through sales in part based on the country’s currency value to the yen. Keeping inventory lean is another reason for discounts along with seasonal sales and efforts to boost quarterly sales.
In the United States Nikon always has sales in May & June and again about six to eight weeks before the Christmas holiday. Sales and discounts are set by Nikon businesses in each country or region.

The other reason you may find used Z8s for lower than the average price is when users sell them to upgrade to something new or jump to a different system. Rumor has it that on July 17, Canon is going to launch the R5mkii which is priced similar to a z8. You might want to keep an eye out on FM’s buy and sell forum and the marketplace here for possible deals to be had.

Congrats !!!

I can't speak for your region but here in Germany / Europe the price differences are not big enough to rectify buying used.
Nikon itsself caused some confusion in the market, because of the discount the give on the Z8. which led rto the situaton that used cameras offered by dealers became more expensive than the new ones from Nikon.

Something I observe that if Z8 are offered used that they usually have very few shutter counts, so there must be numerous persons returning or trading Z8's because it doesn't suit them for whatever reason. It is a totally different story compared with the days where I tried to get my first pro bodies years ago and you regularly saw bodies offered with 100k, 20
Interesting reading,
Z8, Z9, D6, D850, D500, DSLR or Mirror less cameras and lenses, 24mp 45mp DX Full frame Nikon's Hi Iso.

I find be it the Z9 i sold or currently the Z8 i have, or the D850 i have, 45mp is for myself a excellent tool, very crop able and also so versatile, in that sense i mean if i am 50-100-150 mm or even 200mm short some of that short fall or all of it can be made up with cropping, depending on what lens i am using, this is a very usable option if your stuck and cant get closer.

A flick of a button and i shoot in DX 20mp, or a flick back and its FF 45mp, Or as another option i choose a smaller image size in FF, with these TOOL options i also never have a buffer or processing issues LOL.

For myself 45mp in this line up of Z8 Z9 D850 or even the Z7II is a universal tool with broader perimeters or capabilities and options.

If i need to use extremely high ISO and deal with low challenging light the 45mp can do well but for serious needs to be meet i usually use a D6 or D5.

It’s very much a individual thing i guess.

Optical view finder, i thought i was the only one, it seems there are two of us now LOL, Defiantly i prefer the optical viewfinder.........the new EVF i hear in the Z6III is magical and is the industry bench mark so i hear, well for now.

The EVF is not a deal maker or breaker for myself as i usually know what to set my F stops or SS and what to expose for 95% of the time from the DSLR days but yes its an added useful handy feature, if i am in doubt at any time flicking to P mode and back generally reveals a quick indication or guide to target good exposure settings for still subjects then as necessary tweak from there in the desired mode.

I think the EVF for video is a critical tool ? but i am no expert or videographer, however i do respect any advanced development in this area, i can be a real asset for so many users, good on you Nikon.

So what % of the hybrid cameras now are for stills or Video ?

To that because of 45mp it enables me to shoot JPEG fine 95% of the time, JPEGS are so good these days, it helps with buffer, file sizes, less processing needs in post, I can also tweak the camera internal pre-sets, ie: example up 3 in sharpening, down one in contrast, up 2 in saturation, etc or whatever other option suits that shoot on the day based on conditions, it minimizes post processing enormously and with time and practice becomes easy to utilize, i mean Camera companies put that set of tools in their for a reason.

RAW is brilliant and the right way to shoot for so many people, but its a tool i only need or choose occasionally, Hi ISO use, Landscapes.

Often I find by the time i do some basic tweaks on a raw image on a computer with PS or LR i end up very close to what i get in a well taken pre-set JPEG Fine, big statement yes but it fits for 85% of what i need and yes its not for everyone. I have noticed some members in several camera clubs are actually experimenting with these tool options more and more..............

That said when I do shoot RAW its with JPEG fine together, mostly on special important occasions where deep creative post work may be needed, which in my case i usually outsource editing.

I see 45mp in these new cameras with the amazing speed in focusing and frame rates just as a powerful versatile tool and in ways being really several cameras in one.

I recall ? Thom Hogan once said something like, "if you use a Z9 or Z8 you won’t want to go back and use any other Z camera", OK i put that to the test, and for myself he is right.

Now that doesn't mean their the only cameras to use, the other Z series really fits many other needs and this new generation is shaping up to be amazing especially given the glass that's around to go with them.

If i need super high iso performance say shooting an indoor basketball match at night in very challenging conditions, yes then i go for the larger pixel sensor cameras like a D5 or mostly a D6 tool as that’s perfect and all that’s ever needed, mind you the Z8 Z9 tolls have improved and do very well considering they are 45mp just a little too much noise at times in these extreme conditions.

I feel the glass is always more important than the camera, a Z8 Z9 Z6III Z7II Z7III D850 are only as good as the glass you use,
i believe updating the glass can in cases equate to several camera upgrades, strange !

I mean when the market was 8 mp and 12 mp, i was using a D3X at 25mp and in principal i was doing the similar things as i do with 45mp today, cropping, jumping from DX FX above all using the best F2.8 F4 prime and some zooms in F2.8 glass and yes mostly shooting JPEG fine.

Today if i put a 70-200 FL on a D850 Z9 then on the D3X shooting at a still subject in fair conditions let me say you have to look closely, real close to see any meaningful difference even to the D3X, this highlights the power of using the right and best glass for the purpose, NOT just the most expensive.

As Steve says, date the camera marry the glass LOL.

A Time Light and Speed combination is still the fundamental or foundation of everything we see do and need in photography from a technical aspect, its just been modernized digitized and soon to be Ai'D LOL.

The most important thing in photography for myself is enjoying what you do, many DSLR owners are extraordinarily happy with what ever they have, myself i am very happy with a DSLR or Mirror less camera or a phone or a compact or a Drone or Go Pro, their all just tools............it’s more important to make a photo about a subject not of a subject.

Love what you do, do what you love, 90% of what you achieve and make comes from YOU.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
Quick question regarding the Z8.
I'm looking at the exchange program and wondering if it's worth buying the z8 body with the kit lens versus just the z8 body. Is the kit lens worth buying? I have plenty of kit lenses laying around I can use with the ftz.
Thanks

I'm looking at the exchange program and wondering if it's worth buying the z8 body with the kit lens versus just the z8 body. Is the kit lens worth buying? I have plenty of kit lenses laying around I can use with the ftz.
Thanks
It depends what you photograph, I would just get the body.

Thanks

Yes, it depends in what you do and how aou do it, but generally speaking, if you talk about a kit with a Z 24-120 I'd definitely go for it (Here they offer the Z8 with this lens) . It is a great allround lens and especially in its range it is probably better than any lens sold as a kit lens in F-Mount days.

I passed on the lens and purchased the body only. I also bought Steve's setup guide and have been spending time learning this new tech. So far so good. My f-mount lenses seem to be working great, actually they seem better.

I'm feeling ready to upgrade from my first wildlife camera (D500) to the Z8. I had a birthday this week and have proverbial buy-in from the SO :)

Is now a decent time to buy? Meaning are there any foreseeable discounts / shifts in the market that would make it worth waiting another few months?

Also, a word on buying new vs used. I usually prefer to buy second-hand and have the patience to wait for a deal. However the price seems to be holding steady. Buying "Like New" on MPB is only $100 off buying new direct from Nikon. And I've had search alerts on Craigslist for a long time and don't see much action. Furthermore, I've seen some recommendations here that suggest buying a nice camera is worth considering buying new to get the manufacturer warranty - as if there's a decent likelihood of needing the coverage? Finally, 0% financing for 12 months is enticing. I can afford to buy it outright but wouldn't mind using someone else's money. I'd take the steps to ensure I didn't miss a payment.

Thanks for any guidance when it comes to timing for the purchase, as well as considerations for new vs used.
Money comes and goes, time is a one way trip - once its gone its gone, don't waste it, just go for it............you can always make money you cant make time lost.

Only an opinion

Money comes and goes, time is a one way trip - once its gone its gone, don't waste it, just go for it............you can always make money you cant make time lost.

Only an opinion

Hah I love this.

And it's wise words. I got the Z8 and took it out for the first time this weekend. Eight-hour solo trip in the local wildlife area. Red Tail Hawks, White Tail Kites, American Kestrels, and three Western Screech Owl cavities (a first for me).

The camera is already ever so slightly dusty. And it's all good...

It was a day to remember 🥰

Hah I love this.

And it's wise words. I got the Z8 and took it out for the first time this weekend. Eight-hour solo trip in the local wildlife area. Red Tail Hawks, White Tail Kites, American Kestrels, and three Western Screech Owl cavities (a first for me).

The camera is already ever so slightly dusty. And it's all good...

It was a day to remember 🥰
Let’s see some 😉

Let’s see some 😉

Thanks for inspiring me to circle back to cull and edit them :)

DSC_1072-Enhanced-NR.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

DSC_2028-Enhanced-NR.jpg

DSC_2550-Enhanced-NR.jpg

DSC_0970-Enhanced-NR.jpg

DSC_1939-Enhanced-NR-2.jpg

DSC_2813-Enhanced-NR-2.jpg

DSC_3114-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Thanks O.

It feels like a night-and-day difference from the D500.

Worth noting is this is coming from an amateur/first-year wildlife photographer. I know the D500 is capable. However I was struggling with it for BiF and even with some stationary birds. I spend a lot of time looking at wildlife photos here and on other social media, so I'm pretty accustomed to seeing tack-sharp eyes. I was up for the challenge and wanted to earn my stripes by using a DSLR first, but I'm happy to finally have eye detection.

Some other observations:
  • Batteries drained quicker than expected. Will bring three out next time instead of two
  • 20FPS is faster than expected. It's incredible how many more positions it captures from the critter
  • Being able to preview exposure settings and subject/focus point in the EVF is a game-changer, full-stop.
  • Being able to switch to DX is nice. This was a foreign concept as a beginner, and I get it now. I've done some reading on the tradeoffs of using DX vs cropping in post, and I used it more than expected. Less for the zoom, and more to help subject detection for wildlife that tends to be pretty far away where I go (it probably warrants an 800pf instead of the 500pf. My TC arrived this week, yet to try it)
  • Subject detection is amazing, but it's not a cheat code and still benefits from a well-composed scene to work properly.
  • I wouldn't have gotten the photos of the airborne RTH or WTK with the D500. Both popped up unexpectedly and were taken with a bit of an erratic spray-and-pray. Yet the camera landed some of the best photos from the day.
  • I tried video for the first time and think I'm going to like it. However videos of the Western Screech Owl are shaking all over with the 500pf. So now I'm also learning about tripods 😅
I think I'll make a post about this in general for anyone else thinking about it.

Thanks O.

It feels like a night-and-day difference from the D500.

Worth noting is this is coming from an amateur/first-year wildlife photographer. I know the D500 is capable. However I was struggling with it for BiF and even with some stationary birds. I spend a lot of time looking at wildlife photos here and on other social media, so I'm pretty accustomed to seeing tack-sharp eyes. I was up for the challenge and wanted to earn my stripes by using a DSLR first, but I'm happy to finally have eye detection.

Some other observations:
  • Batteries drained quicker than expected. Will bring three out next time instead of two
  • 20FPS is faster than expected. It's incredible how many more positions it captures from the critter
  • Being able to preview exposure settings and subject/focus point in the EVF is a game-changer, full-stop.
  • Being able to switch to DX is nice. This was a foreign concept as a beginner, and I get it now. I've done some reading on the tradeoffs of using DX vs cropping in post, and I used it more than expected. Less for the zoom, and more to help subject detection for wildlife that tends to be pretty far away where I go (it probably warrants an 800pf instead of the 500pf. My TC arrived this week, yet to try it)
  • Subject detection is amazing, but it's not a cheat code and still benefits from a well-composed scene to work properly.
  • I wouldn't have gotten the photos of the airborne RTH or WTK with the D500. Both popped up unexpectedly and were taken with a bit of an erratic spray-and-pray. Yet the camera landed some of the best photos from the day.
  • I tried video for the first time and think I'm going to like it. However videos of the Western Screech Owl are shaking all over with the 500pf. So now I'm also learning about tripods 😅
I think I'll make a post about this in general for anyone else thinking about it.
You sound happy and that the most important thing.

I to found the battery life is different to my Z9 i sold, i mean i prefer the Z9 hands down but need the Z8 for what i do currently which is long hiking, the compromise in difference isn't that much of a issue, i am waiting for the Z7 III to see what it brings to the table, hopefully 60 plus MP 12 fps sort of thing.

Crop ability is amazing, and yes there are many reasons not to crop but getting the shot is the number one rule.

I see cropping as essential as it is indirectly the longer lens you have when you don't have one.

Steve has many tutorials setting things up you will enjoy them all.

Enjoy the journey,

Only an opinion

Back