Is the Z8 continuous shooting speed global?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Don L Turner

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Earlier today I received my Z8 back from Nikon service. In the couple of weeks before the recall, all I did was wildlife photography. I'd like to do some landscape stuff now and am making sure I have my Shooting Bank C set up properly for landscapes.

I ran into a snag, maybe.

Bank B is set up for wildlife; Bank C is set off for landscapes. But if I set Bank C with a slow shutter speed, it affects Bank B. I know I can set Bank C to AF-S, but I'd rather not do that if I can avoid it, partly because AF-S does not work well with bracketing, but also because if I get two or three normal landscape shots, one might look better than the other.

Should I be able to set the continuous shooting speed for each shooting bank? If so, how do I do that. Or are the continuous shooting speed settings Global?

Shutter speed (and also release mode) is not configurable from within the Shooting Menu or Custom Settings Menu, so therefore it does not factor into the Menu Bank settings. Or in other word, yes they are global settings that are in effect for whichever custom Bank you are in.

Last edited:
Shutter speed (and also release mode) is not configurable from within the Shooting Menu or Custom Settings Menu, so therefore it does not factor into the Menu Bank settings. Or in other word, yes they are global settings that are in effect for whichever custom Bank you are in.
That is what I was afraid of. I was hoping I could set shutter speed for each bank. It looks like I can select a favorite high and low (H or L) shutter speed, so that all I have to do is change to the speed H or L type I want and the frames per second will be whatever I previously selected. I don't suppose there is a way to tell a shooting bank whether I want H or L for that bank?

Edit: Page 423 of the Z8 reference guide suggests this should work. Am I reading that page wrong?

Last edited:
Recall Shooting Functions [Hold] allows a partial switch of Release mode within a bank. You can set a slower or faster fps or between S and Continuous.

The macro C shooting & Custom banks of my Z9 are set up to shoot in Single but the Release mode option in RSF [Hold] is set to 20fps, with fast shutter speed in case I suddenly want to switch to a wildlife subject.

Obviously this is only a temporary switch within a bank, although you can set a different RSF in each bank.

Back