Is there a distance at which a TC (Nikon 1.4II) is most useful?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Stephen Berger

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Helo,

Until recently wen I sprang for a used 500mm f/4G my wildlife lens has been a 300mm f/2.8 VR. I've often used it with the 1.4II TC and while I bought and have used the lens primarily for wildlife I also use to for long lens landscapes and isolated flora images (usually at f/5.6 or f/7.1). I've only recently noticed that when using the TC, the further my subject is, the more vignetting there is on the image. WIth the landscape shots this can be to the extent that it is not removable in Lightroom. So my question is, is this normal with TC's in general and if so is there sweet spot for distance when using them? Thanks! -s

My 500G had the same thing and both my 500E and 600E exhibit some level of corner daarkening. This waas with the TC-14EII and EIII versions. I notice it more on FX and not so much on my D500. I suspect it's something in the optical design of the longer exotics.

My 500G had the same thing and both my 500E and 600E exhibit some level of corner daarkening. This waas with the TC-14EII and EIII versions. I notice it more on FX and not so much on my D500. I suspect it's something in the optical design of the longer exotics.
I have not noticed this with the 600... Im going to have to make an effort to see if this is happening. I am shooting a d500 though.

Thank you. That’s good to know.

A wise fellow told me long ago...a TC is not meant to bring something far away closer, it’s meant to bring something close, even closer.
That makes perfect sense! And for the record I don’t throw a TC on to take landscape photos but rather when I’m out with it on for wildlife I also take landscape photos.

Back