Is there a fast way to set the focal point in the middle on Nikon D850?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Yes a very useful feature... [I've edited this post to give more detail]

In Custom Control f2 choose Preset Focus Point. It is f4 for the same function in the D6. It will return the AF point to where you want it eg in the top third of the viewfinder centred. And there are several options in the Z9 to customize a button of choice to the Preset focus point (in horizonal and vertical orientations respectively). Like the D5, D6, [see below] a D850 can also recall 2 different points for focus in both vertical and horizontal orientations.

One any of above cameras, you set this desired AF position with a pair of controls i.e. hold down the Focus Mode button [front of camera left] while pressing center button in Direction pad until AF point flashes; release both these buttons.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for replies. For some reason it doesn't work. I have set the center button in the direction pad to 100% magnification - and the center button on the joystick to group area AF.

Hi,

Thanks for replies. For some reason it doesn't work. I have set the center button in the direction pad to 100% magnification - and the center button on the joystick to group area AF.
You can set the center button of the direction pad to move the focus point to the center when SHOOTING. In PLAYBACK mode the center of the direction pad can be set to zoom in 100%.

Great, thanks! I could really need to booth zoom and set the point in the middle with center pad button push on the LCD screen :D But I guess I just can't get it all. Thanks!

On any Nikon camera with a joystick, you can set it so a center press on the joystick will return the focal point to the center of the viewfinder/sensor. I had it set up this way with my D500 and D850 when I was shooting with DSLRs, and I have my Z6II and Z7II set up this way now.

You can set the D850 so that a center press of the toggle will center the AF point while shooting, and will zoom to 100% during playback. You can have both.

Options in the Return to-Centre Control give useful flexibility, and I set Custom Control f2 to Preset Focus Point. This will return the AF point to where you want it: eg in the top third of the viewfinder mid-centre.
As described above, to Preset the Focus Point in a desired position hold down the Focus Mode button [front of camera left] while pressing center button in Direction pad; release both these buttons.

In Custom menu, enabling a7 on the D850 widens the options. As you can Preset the focus point in 2 different positions respectively in the vertical versus horizontal orientations. I have mine set to remember both AFArea Mode and Focus Point when shooting.

And it's nice to have the dual functions. So in Playback Menu, pressing the centre point zooms into the image

Last edited:
Hi,

I am trying to find a fast way to set the middle focalpoint in the middle of the viewfinder or LCD screen, but can't seem to find any.

Thanks

Ben
Unless change the default of the multi selector should centre your focuspoint.🦘
1658622548619.png

Back