Is this crooked?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DSC_03181-3.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

It seems kinda crooked to me because of the perch but the kestrels seem like they are perfectly horizontal where they are at. what do you think?

Since many viewers have no idea what a mating pair of kestrels looks like but they know a vertical post, I think I would rotate so that the post is vertical. People won't notice the birds being off level but the post being off plumb will cause some to not register how beautiful the image is or how special the event is.

Just my $.02 worth.
Jeff

There really is no horizon nor visual cues. For vertical you have the parallel lines of the post. The are not converging so you are good. For horizontal the world could surely contain a crooked post, but a bird in repose shouldn't look like it might fall over, so I think you are good. Just for fun I would carry a square straightedge to the catchlight in both birds eyes and see if the two lines are parallel, assuming both birds are in balanced repose. But with the wings up, the one could be dynamic. So it's all on the little one who is at rest.

Try correcting the tilting of the post - and then decide which version you like better. I wouldn't necessarily expect the birds to be perfectly vertical since they are adjusting their body weight over their feet, which might necessitate leaning a bit one way or another.

Thank you so much everyone! I didn't want to fix it because of how much local adjustments I have on this picture and how I'll have to re-do a lot of editing, but I think it's worth it because it's my best photo of 2024 so far.

Agreed. I've seen plenty of less than vertical posts out there. Soil pressure moves them around.

It's a superb shot! Leave as is. It's living proof that it's not the tools, it's the outcome that matters! And the skills of who uses them. (Speaking as someone with older cameras, and developing skills.)

Great image. Most people probably wouldn't notice the post, but you asked...
If this is a cropped image then you might try a version with the post lined up. But, if you have to sacrifice wing space on the right of the image then I would leave it alone.
I was so astonished to see two Kestrels together, I didn't even see the post !

Great image. Most people probably wouldn't notice the post, but you asked...
If this is a cropped image then you might try a version with the post lined up. But, if you have to sacrifice wing space on the right of the image then I would leave it alone.
I was so astonished to see two Kestrels together, I didn't even see the post !
Thanks 😊

Back