Is this interesting at all

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Matthew Jones

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I'm still very much learning a lot of things about photography , I realize these are just seagulls , is this photo interesting at all .
Twins_c1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

NIKON D4, 500 mm F/4 , 1/2500 sec , ISO 250 , lake in North Dakota

I love this image . The seagulls look like they are dancing. The composition and the contrasting soft green background with the white sand is beautiful .
I enjoy watching seagulls at the beach.

Yes I think It’s interesting Matthew and I like it better with a fair bit of the bottom of the frame cropped - I noticed as I scrolled down the dancing birds were more emphasised once the eye was not distracted by the reflecting water. I don’t know if you agree - it’s your photo. You might like to use the ‘dropper’ in Lightroom to Sample the left hand bird’s feet and increase the saturation of his feet and emphasise his dance with his partner!!

Yes I think It’s interesting Matthew and I like it better with a fair bit of the bottom of the frame cropped - I noticed as I scrolled down the dancing birds were more emphasized once the eye was not distracted by the reflecting water. I don’t know if you agree - it’s your photo. You might like to use the ‘dropper’ in Lightroom to Sample the left hand bird’s feet and increase the saturation of his feet and emphasize his dance with his partner!!

Hi Bruce , I can see what you're saying , interesting perception on the scene i hadn't thought of it in these ways , I appreciate the feedback , i do agree with your insight ,
I will learn from this , Thank you ! - Matt

Cropped like this?
  • Left bird's face at top-left 'rule of thirds' intersection.
  • Top third of photo = background; actual + reflection. (Wonderfully soft out-of-focus vegetation!)
  • Display promontory (if that's what it is) exiting photo through bottom left corner.
… David

twins-cropped.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
I'm still very much learning a lot of things about photography , I realize these are just seagulls , is this photo interesting at all .
FWIW, I like it! Kind of neat to see almost mirror image front and back action shots with great wing positions.

Nicely seen and set up. The only critique I'd offer is the exposure seems a bit hot, hard to say if you can fix that in post processing or if the whites are blown out but at least on this monitor it seems a bit overexposed.

But yeah, I think it's an interesting shot.

FWIW, I like it! Kind of neat to see almost mirror image front and back action shots with great wing positions.

Nicely seen and set up. The only critique I'd offer is the exposure seems a bit hot, hard to say if you can fix that in post processing or if the whites are blown out but at least on this monitor it seems a bit overexposed.

But yeah, I think it's an interesting shot.
Thank you Dave !

Back