Is Yellowstone Really Worth It?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a few options for a photo trip in the next year, including Yellowstone NP. However, the more I read about it, it seems like most of the wildlife is very distant and while it's great for viewing them, photography is not great. Can anyone who has been to Yellowstone chime in and tell me if this is the case and if the trip is worth it? Lamar Valley in particular seems to have very distant wildlife. Would the Tetons be better?

LOL!
Bighorn Ram Profile.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Cinnamon at Slough Creek.jpg
Fox with a Mouthful.jpg
Wrestling Cubs.jpg
Shrimp Lake Wolf.jpg

And these are all just from one 8-day trip this last May...

Absolutely worth it. Lamar and Hayden valleys are both good. Yes, some of it is luck and time of year dependant, but you can pull it off. I missed bears 3 times and wolves once when I was there unfortunately, but that's how it goes sometimes.

The tetons I had better experience seeing moose and birds, but again, just how it turned out.

Generally, the shoulder seasons seem to be less crowded. But, even then a tour bus can roll up to a prime spot and unload 40 or 50 people all crowding in to get the shot.

On one trip, there was a mama grizzly with cubs no more than a 100 feet away from a gaggle of photographers. While I stayed in the truck, most of the photographers were outside with their tripods. Fortunately, she was mostly disinterested but she was also within bear spray range. For me, too close to be out of my rig.

Many times in May, I have had the Lamar Valley to myself. Now that I have the Z800 I need to go back there.

Absolutely worth it. Lamar and Hayden valleys are both good. Yes, some of it is luck and time of year dependant, but you can pull it off. I missed bears 3 times and wolves once when I was there unfortunately, but that's how it goes sometimes.

The tetons I had better experience seeing moose and birds, but again, just how it turned out.
Did you see any great gray owls in the Tetons?

Generally, the shoulder seasons seem to be less crowded. But, even then a tour bus can roll up to a prime spot and unload 40 or 50 people all crowding in to get the shot.

On one trip, there was a mama grizzly with cubs no more than a 100 feet away from a gaggle of photographers. While I stayed in the truck, most of the photographers were outside with their tripods. Fortunately, she was mostly disinterested but she was also within bear spray range. For me, too close to be out of my rig.

Many times in May, I have had the Lamar Valley to myself. Now that I have the Z800 I need to go back there.

To be honest, the road bears are much more tolerant of people and if there's a big crowd of people around, you have less reason to be concerned. No bear has ever attacked a group of 4 people or more in the parks.

The only restrictions that can make photography difficult and expensive with the need for long telephoto lenses is with the bears. Many of my photos of bison and elk and coyotes in Yellowstone were taken with a 80-400mm lens. Not difficult to avoid the jams of photographers and tour buses in the park.

Crowd levels can vary widely and are difficult to predict. I visited there on a July 4th weekend and the park felt empty with very few visitors on that day. Important to check the park and community websites for the park to get current information on road closures in effect or planned.

It's absolutely worth it. I took just as many wildlife photos with my 70-300 as I did with my 200-500. I too had great luck finding great grey owls around the fields around the fishing bridge and lake hotel. You are correct that a lot of wildlife will be far off, but there will be plenty too close for comfort. It's an amazing place and I can't wait to go back sometime. Wolves will be the hardest to get good pictures of, they tend to be far off and always on the move. Everything else you have a good shot at being close enough to photograph.

It's absolutely worth it. I took just as many wildlife photos with my 70-300 as I did with my 200-500. I too had great luck finding great grey owls around the fields around the fishing bridge and lake hotel. You are correct that a lot of wildlife will be far off, but there will be plenty too close for comfort. It's an amazing place and I can't wait to go back sometime. Wolves will be the hardest to get good pictures of, they tend to be far off and always on the move. Everything else you have a good shot at being close enough to photograph.

Wolves are easier to get in the spring when they're denning.

I cannot answer if it is worth it or not for you. It has been about 7 years since I've been to Yellowstone but I seriously doubt if it has changed significantly. Here are my thoughts.
1) It is going to be crowded. Just take it in stride. No need to get upset or rushed. Get used to the feeling of "go with the flow". In some ways it is not as bad as some make out and in some ways it's worse but it's all part of the "Yellowstone Experience."
2) There will be tourists (and idiots) doing stupid stuff like getting too close to the bison and, heaven help them, moose. It happens. Get the video settings on your camera right. You may become a YouTube Viral Video Celebrity if you capture the right action at the right moment.
3) Wildlife there is like wildlife anywhere else. Some times they are out and about sometimes you can't find them. However, bison, elk (in the northern part of the park) are quite plentiful so are marmots and other smaller mammals. Bears and wolves are much more sketchy to capture. Sometimes you see them some trips you don't.
4) Plenty of wildlife, landscape and other nature photography opportunities exist.
5) Like most National Parks, if you get 3/4 mile up a trail the crowds thin out substantially. Go 2 miles up a trail and you will feel like Jim Bridger exploring the mountains for the first time. 3 miles up a trail and you'll likely feel you are alone on the Earth. (what I'm getting at, is most people don't get too far out of sight from their cars).

As with any other location, I would advise doing research on what you want to photograph and what times of year are best for that. Example, you're not going to be photographing mama and baby deer in October nor would you be shooting fall colors in April. Those are extreme but figure out when your chances are best for what you're interested in and try to plan your trip accordingly. Conversely, if you are limited and can only go at a certain time of year then research that's happening around that time of year and plan accordingly.
So, is Yellowstone worth it? If you are prepared and have reasonable expectations, then yes, it is.

I'll tell you this, you're more likely to see large predators in the spring. The wolves are denning and hunting and returning the meat to the den multiple times a day, the grizzly and black bear sows are out with their cubs, the boars are looking to mate and the coyotes are all over any carcasses the wolves and bears leave behind. There'll still be snow up through at least May and you can see foxes and coyotes diving into it to hunt. Great grey owls are nesting, which means the male will be hunting the same areas and returning to the same place every day, and will be out in the daytime. My recommendation is spring.

I cannot answer if it is worth it or not for you. It has been about 7 years since I've been to Yellowstone but I seriously doubt if it has changed significantly. Here are my thoughts.
1) It is going to be crowded. Just take it in stride. No need to get upset or rushed. Get used to the feeling of "go with the flow". In some ways it is not as bad as some make out and in some ways it's worse but it's all part of the "Yellowstone Experience."
2) There will be tourists (and idiots) doing stupid stuff like getting too close to the bison and, heaven help them, moose. It happens. Get the video settings on your camera right. You may become a YouTube Viral Video Celebrity if you capture the right action at the right moment.
3) Wildlife there is like wildlife anywhere else. Some times they are out and about sometimes you can't find them. However, bison, elk (in the northern part of the park) are quite plentiful so are marmots and other smaller mammals. Bears and wolves are much more sketchy to capture. Sometimes you see them some trips you don't.
4) Plenty of wildlife, landscape and other nature photography opportunities exist.
5) Like most National Parks, if you get 3/4 mile up a trail the crowds thin out substantially. Go 2 miles up a trail and you will feel like Jim Bridger exploring the mountains for the first time. 3 miles up a trail and you'll likely feel you are alone on the Earth. (what I'm getting at, is most people don't get too far out of sight from their cars).

As with any other location, I would advise doing research on what you want to photograph and what times of year are best for that. Example, you're not going to be photographing mama and baby deer in October nor would you be shooting fall colors in April. Those are extreme but figure out when your chances are best for what you're interested in and try to plan your trip accordingly. Conversely, if you are limited and can only go at a certain time of year then research that's happening around that time of year and plan accordingly.
So, is Yellowstone worth it? If you are prepared and have reasonable expectations, then yes, it is.
1: For sure.
2: LOL, not sure what I'd do in that scenario.
3: Got it. Found this website, yellowstonereports.com, that has many live updates on raptor nests, wolf/bear sightings, and more. Could be useful. Same with Yellowstone.co

Thanks!

I'll tell you this, you're more likely to see large predators in the spring. The wolves are denning and hunting and returning the meat to the den multiple times a day, the grizzly and black bear sows are out with their cubs, the boars are looking to mate and the coyotes are all over any carcasses the wolves and bears leave behind. There'll still be snow up through at least May and you can see foxes and coyotes diving into it to hunt. Great grey owls are nesting, which means the male will be hunting the same areas and returning to the same place every day, and will be out in the daytime. My recommendation is spring.
Thanks! Leaning towards early April right now if we choose it.

Last edited:
Thanks! Leaning towards early April right now.

Have you checked the average highs and lows and the info on the usual times for road openings, etc. Early April could still seem like winter, if that is what you are after.

In my opinion Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP are world class. But the wildlife doesn't always come out to greet you. Most animals stay away from people except when they are crossing a road or have found food, etc. Not at all like a zoo.

Back