ISO variance and the Z8 - interesting info

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I came across this interesting info on ISO, so I'm sharing. According to Photons to Photos website, the Z8 has the same ISO performance between ISO 500-2000 as it does from ISO 100-400. The black line is my old D4. It's worth testing on our own.
Z8 ISO chart.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

That looks like the dual gain sensor so many modern cameras are using these days. My R5 has a very similar profile, where it's better to jump to 400 iso if not using base ISO.

Dual-gain sensors have pretty much been the norm for the past 5 years or more on all the higher end bodies.

Except on rare occasions when I want to shoot at base ISO (64 or 100 depending on the camera), I always treat the dual gain ISO as my base ISO...go down to that ISO as light allows and then just up my shutter speed as I get more and more light.

It is always wise when you get a new camera to research the dual gain ISO value.

Some examples:
Z9/Z8: ISO 500
D500: ISO 400
D850: ISO 400
A9/A9II: ISO 640
A7RIV/V: ISO 320
A1: ISO 500
R3/R5: ISO 400

Dual-gain sensors have pretty much been the norm for the past 5 years or more on all the higher end bodies.

Except on rare occasions when I want to shoot at base ISO (64 or 100 depending on the camera), I always treat the dual gain ISO as my base ISO...go down to that ISO as light allows and then just up my shutter speed as I get more and more light.

It is always wise when you get a new camera to research the dual gain ISO value.

Some examples:
Z9/Z8: ISO 500
D500: ISO 400
D850: ISO 400
A9/A9II: ISO 640
A7RIV/V: ISO 320
A1: ISO 500
R3/R5: ISO 400
Z7II ISO 400.

Back