Issue with Photoshop Generative Expand

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Rookie Roy

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I noticed when I use generative expand to extend an edge of a photo with a solid color background it leaves a faint line at the previous photo edge. I’ve only noticed this on solid backgrounds. I can‘t figure out how to remove the line. Does anyone else have this problem? Have you found a way to correct it? Do you know of any video that shows how to correct this problem?

I think it's better to use content aware fill or the patch tool. I think generative fill doesn't match noise well, and the output is limited I think to 1500 by 1500 pixels.

You can add a mask and a blend mode like soft light and brush the line away. Personally I am not a fan of the Gen expand, it never seems to match texture or grain well and has to be kept to small sizes to keep it from going really wonky, I think it's 1024 limit pixels or something like that. The few times that I have had it work well is when I expanded one side at a time and picked my best of the three options did any masking needed to blend before moving on to the next side.

Back