I've just ordered a star tracker

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ssheipel

Supporting Member
Marketplace
In support of one of my operating principles -- "more gear than talent" (the other is "more money than brains, and I ain't got much brain" :D -- I've ordered a star tracker. I have since the first time I saw the milky way in a light pollution free location (north of Lake Superior) decades ago I have wanted to capture photos of it. My ultimate goal (if I have one) is to do portraits with the milk way. But I digress.

Wondering if you have any favourite starry sky photography courses you found useful and engaging, to get me started on the taking photos part of the process . The real challenge will come when I'm gonna have to use software to layer photos LOL

Oh, and this is the tracker all roads led me to for a beginner.

Cheers!

Sequator is free software for star stacking.

Sequator is free software for star stacking.

Thanks!

I prefer Siril for my stacking needs. But everyone uses different things in different ways. As far as it goes, MSM trackers aren't up there, and you're going to have to be picky about your frames sometimes, but it'll do some work for you.

I do a lot of deep sky astro so I’m a PixInsight guy. But there are a lot of ways to get there. Cloudy nights is a great forum that covers pretty much anything astro that may be of help when the time comes. My first tracker was a Vixen Polarie. It worked great. At this point, though, I only do deep sky with more sophisticated stuff.

My advice is simple, though: be sure to ask questions as you go. There is a learning curve to getting good results from astro images. Second advice is also simple: beware the trap! It gets fun and therefore addictive and expensive to keep chasing the rainbow.

I do a lot of deep sky astro so I’m a PixInsight guy. But there are a lot of ways to get there. Cloudy nights is a great forum that covers pretty much anything astro that may be of help when the time comes. My first tracker was a Vixen Polarie. It worked great. At this point, though, I only do deep sky with more sophisticated stuff.

My advice is simple, though: be sure to ask questions as you go. There is a learning curve to getting good results from astro images. Second advice is also simple: beware the trap! It gets fun and therefore addictive and expensive to keep chasing the rainbow.
Thanks much for the "Cloudy Nights" nod. I'll check that forum out.

Always wanted to do this.
However, trees block out most of the north sky for me, including Polaris.

Any worthy trackers available that don't rely on Polaris?
Yes. In the southern hemisphere they can't obviously use the North Star and use an app or some such other solution; on shaky ground I am in disucssing this, but there are ways to calibrate without using the North Star (even when in the northern hemisphere).

I have the Nomad as well. I use to have the rotator and on a few occasions the mount came unscrewed by itself and almost dumped my entire setup on the ground. Luckily I was right there and caught it. I bought the Nomad because it solves that exact problem that plagued the rotator. The Nomad is very easy to use and works great. For best results I like to stack a couple of tracked shots. Tons of good youtube channels. Peter Zelinka, Chasing Luminance, are couple off the top of my head who use the Nomad a lot. Then of course, there is Alyn Wallace (RIP), might as well just watch every video on his channel.

Unfortunately I am in the northeast and while I have easy access to very dark skies in Vermont and Maine, I rarely have moonless nights that also happen to be cloudless nights.

Always wanted to do this.
However, trees block out most of the north sky for me, including Polaris.

Any worthy trackers available that don't rely on Polaris?
Yes, the Nomad actually works great with the cell phone holder and the Photo Pills App. I have used this when Polaris is behind a tree or when a mountain or cliff is blocking my view of it. It is far more accurate than I would have expected. I would not use this for DSO, but for milky way shots it is absolutely accurate enough to get nice crisp stars.

Check out Richard Tatti on youtube and his website. Everything you need will be there.

Here my input.

1. Allyn Wallace
This man passed away earlier this year but even today he is still an inspiration to many. His book is so good and _for me_ a must-have for any astro photographer.
A video was released last week to promote his book in a special edition:
I also advice to check his various videos on YouTube

2. Peter Zelinka
Very good courses (bought a few) and also organiser of workshops (never done one)

3. Lamce Keimig
And maybe you find this gentlemen his course something interesting:
https://www.creativelive.com/class/astro-photography-lance-kreimig

Hope this can help.

I have the Nomad as well. I use to have the rotator and on a few occasions the mount came unscrewed by itself and almost dumped my entire setup on the ground. Luckily I was right there and caught it. I bought the Nomad because it solves that exact problem that plagued the rotator. The Nomad is very easy to use and works great. For best results I like to stack a couple of tracked shots. Tons of good youtube channels. Peter Zelinka, Chasing Luminance, are couple off the top of my head who use the Nomad a lot. Then of course, there is Alyn Wallace (RIP), might as well just watch every video on his channel.

Unfortunately I am in the northeast and while I have easy access to very dark skies in Vermont and Maine, I rarely have moonless nights that also happen to be cloudless nights.
Thanks. Ditto for me re living in a moisture laden atmosphere so getting alignment with new moon and clear skies wisll be 'fun.' :)

Check out Richard Tatti on youtube and his website. Everything you need will be there.

Excellent; thanks.

Here my input.

1. Allyn Wallace
This man passed away earlier this year but even today he is still an inspiration to many. His book is so good and _for me_ a must-have for any astro photographer.
A video was released last week to promote his book in a special edition:
I also advice to check his various videos on YouTube

2. Peter Zelinka
Very good courses (bought a few) and also organiser of workshops (never done one)

3. Lamce Keimig
And maybe you find this gentlemen his course something interesting:
https://www.creativelive.com/class/astro-photography-lance-kreimig

Hope this can help.
This is great stuff. I remain a 'learn from written stuff' so I'm definitely going to find Wallace's book, for sure. Thanks!

Thanks for starting this thread. I'll be following it, and learning from your foray into astro. I hope to start with some wide field milky way stuff and see where it goes.
Some of the more experienced folks also commented here on a thread another astro beginner (me) started after the aurora last may.
Thread 'Equatorial mounts for astro work, any recommendations?' https://bcgforums.com/threads/equatorial-mounts-for-astro-work-any-recommendations.36479/
I'm looking forward to learning from your experiences. I haven’t been able to get away this summer but will try this Fall.

Back