I've just ordered a star tracker

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thanks for starting this thread. I'll be following it, and learning from your foray into astro. I hope to start with some wide field milky way stuff and see where it goes.
Some of the more experienced folks also commented here on a thread another astro beginner (me) started after the aurora last may.
Thread 'Equatorial mounts for astro work, any recommendations?' https://bcgforums.com/threads/equatorial-mounts-for-astro-work-any-recommendations.36479/
I'm looking forward to learning from your experiences. I haven’t been able to get away this summer but will try this Fall.
Great; hope you share your journey with this too! Like you I'm just looking forward to taking some shots of star filled skies to begin. Long , longrange, a friend has an impressive telescope that she hasn't used in years and years and I'd love to get to a place where I'm shooting through that. But pulling back on the reins with my enthusiasm for now :) -- just want to figure out the technology and software required as step one, then get a basic un trailed star shot and then a basic milky way shot.... Then worry about getting creative with it. So first the stars then the universe :)

I have a friend who is really into astronomy. He recently upgraded to a 10 or 12 inch cassegrain reflector telescope. I'm hoping to tag along with him at some point. There's a fantastic local astronomy group in our area. You might want to check and see if there's an amateur astro group near you.

I'm thinking of getting a Rokinon 14mm f2.4 for the milky way shots. Some folks are using it with a z8 and z9. So it's cross platform with my D500. I may pick up a d850 as well before getting a z8 or z9, it should work fine for this and be useful for digitizing old negs, and botanical work.

Right now I'm working with a tight budget but hopefully it will loosen up at some point. (Wife's car isn't drivable, we're shopping).

I have contemplated getting one of these several times but always talk myself out of it. I'm curious to see what your experience is once you start using it. I typically just go by the 500 rule and do the best I can without introducing movement but one of these would be undoubtedly better.

If you really want to do astro, and especially dsos, trackers make life much easier.
With DSOs your life starts getting a lot more expensive with more equipment and automation. Plus you end up wanting cooled cameras, etc. lol. It’s a trap!

I posted this today as it’s relevant. NGC 7000 with about 17 hours of capture time over 6 days and with a dual band 3nm filter.

With DSOs your life starts getting a lot more expensive with more equipment and automation. Plus you end up wanting cooled cameras, etc. lol. It’s a trap!

I posted this today as it’s relevant. NGC 7000 with about 17 hours of capture time over 6 days and with a dual band 3nm filter.

Wow! Maybe I can convince my wife we need astro photography gear more than her car...:)

In support of one of my operating principles -- "more gear than talent" (the other is "more money than brains, and I ain't got much brain" :D -- I've ordered a star tracker. I have since the first time I saw the milky way in a light pollution free location (north of Lake Superior) decades ago I have wanted to capture photos of it. My ultimate goal (if I have one) is to do portraits with the milk way. But I digress.

Wondering if you have any favourite starry sky photography courses you found useful and engaging, to get me started on the taking photos part of the process . The real challenge will come when I'm gonna have to use software to layer photos LOL

Oh, and this is the tracker all roads led me to for a beginner.

Cheers!
I’m fairly sure that Hudson Henry has a course on Astro…and he’s my number 2 go to guy after Steve as he’s primarily a landscape photographer. I’ve thought several times about getting a tracker…but then there is no such thing as light pollution free sky here in SE FL.

I’m fairly sure that Hudson Henry has a course on Astro…and he’s my number 2 go to guy after Steve as he’s primarily a landscape photographer. I’ve thought several times about getting a tracker…but then there is no such thing as light pollution free sky here in SE FL.
Most places in the eastern US are in the same boat due to light pollution and fear of the dark. But if you find a dual band filter that fits your camera or lens you can filter out a lot of that pollution. It’s only usable for emission nebulae, though. But there is a lot of it!

Enjoy Steven, that's a fun piece of kit to get introduced to astrophotography. A few more things to add from my end:

- Focal length: the longer in focal length you go, the more complex things become. Equipment like the MSM were really designed to be used with wideangle lenses, so use it as such. There's tons of things you can do with a wideangle, so should keep you busy for a good while to come.
- Image complexity: while stacking images (to get optimal SNR) is where you want to go; I wouldn't start there. Start off with doing single long exposures, get the hang of those and up the complexity from there one step at a time (stacking, separate foreground blending, mosaics,...).
- The biggest learning curve in astrophotography is the postprocessing piece. Some good resources have been linked in this thread already that should you get you on the way.

Looking forward to seeing your results :)

Back