Jewlery shots in a light box with a 105mm lens with macro filter

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

It is a good thing I don't live near you! I'd be broke all the time! Are you a jeweler also or do you work with one who creates unique items?

In normal civilian parlance, I would be considered a jeweler. I am not, however, what I consider a jeweler to be. I do not sit at a bench and create magnificence. Nor do I sit at the computer and create CAD designs of the beauty that will be created, I am, instead, a gemologist who understands why some diamonds and gems are beautiful, and why some of equal crystal quality are not. (It's the cutting!)

I graduated near the top of my class from the Gemological Institute of America in November of 1975. That education fueled my desire to know more about diamonds, colored gems, and pearls. At one time, I considered myself an expert on Pearls, but no more, too much has happened since I graduated from Jill Fisher's Pearl grading class at the GIA and the market in Idaho was so small that I just could not devote the time needed to keep up with what I would have needed to know to continue to grade and evaluate pearls.

The same with my primary love, colored gems, which I started buying and selling in 1971 in Rio de Janeiro, Brasil while stationed at the American Embassy as a Marine Security Guard. I learned Brasilian Portuguese in order to pursue the beautiful young ladies there and ended up asking one of the American employees on a date while between Brasileiras. I, who had sworn an oath to myself never to marry unless I could have a relationship like my parents, fell madly in love and in August we will celebrate our 49th anniversary. In one more year I will reach the goal my parents came so close to, before my father had the temerity to die with only a couple of years to go to their 50th.

But I ramble. No matter how much I loved the colored gems, I could not make a living with them in Idaho. I started selling diamonds, although I was always obsessed with how poorly most of them are cut, even today. I studied cut grading and constantly complained to my suppliers about why were they selling such drek?

Finally, the American Gem Society spent millions of dollars creating a cut quality grading system that actually meant something. Now I could confidently know, without having the diamond in my hand that at least it was going to be pretty. A cutter who was cutting absolutely the best cut diamonds I have ever seen contacted me and I became his sole on line seller and helped him find many Stateside Bricks and Mortar sellers.

I tried to retire to be with my wife full time. She has had my back for more than 50 years now, and she needs me to take hers now. Retirement sucks! Daytime TV is total drivel and will kill you quickly if you sit and watch it.

Instead one of my former competitors and good friends has hired me to help him get successful on the Internet. I am to work at home, part time, and be his Brand Ambassador. He is working on getting his website updated for ecommerce. He already has a hugely successful Bricks and Mortar business and I fully expect to be able to drive his online business to several millions of dollars by the time I am 80.

Sorry, TMI.

Short answer: No, I am not a bench jeweler. I work with clients around the world to help the find what they want and to have the dream translated into reality, often a different reality than they thought they were looking for. Sometimes that translated dream is less than what they thought they would have to spend.

I sell into Europe, Asia, Canada, South Africa, all of the U.S., Australia, and New Zealand. I cannot sell into Central and South America as I can only get shipping insurance for $100 into those countries. I work with the top quality diamond cutters, and have access to top quality custom work jewelers, as well as off the shelf mountings for those on a lower budget.

In normal civilian parlance, I would be considered a jeweler. I am not, however, what I consider a jeweler to be. I do not sit at a bench and create magnificence. Nor do I sit at the computer and create CAD designs of the beauty that will be created, I am, instead, a gemologist who understands why some diamonds and gems are beautiful, and why some of equal crystal quality are not. (It's the cutting!)

I graduated near the top of my class from the Gemological Institute of America in November of 1975. That education fueled my desire to know more about diamonds, colored gems, and pearls. At one time, I considered myself an expert on Pearls, but no more, too much has happened since I graduated from Jill Fisher's Pearl grading class at the GIA and the market in Idaho was so small that I just could not devote the time needed to keep up with what I would have needed to know to continue to grade and evaluate pearls.

The same with my primary love, colored gems, which I started buying and selling in 1971 in Rio de Janeiro, Brasil while stationed at the American Embassy as a Marine Security Guard. I learned Brasilian Portuguese in order to pursue the beautiful young ladies there and ended up asking one of the American employees on a date while between Brasileiras. I, who had sworn an oath to myself never to marry unless I could have a relationship like my parents, fell madly in love and in August we will celebrate our 49th anniversary. In one more year I will reach the goal my parents came so close to, before my father had the temerity to die with only a couple of years to go to their 50th.

But I ramble. No matter how much I loved the colored gems, I could not make a living with them in Idaho. I started selling diamonds, although I was always obsessed with how poorly most of them are cut, even today. I studied cut grading and constantly complained to my suppliers about why were they selling such drek?

Finally, the American Gem Society spent millions of dollars creating a cut quality grading system that actually meant something. Now I could confidently know, without having the diamond in my hand that at least it was going to be pretty. A cutter who was cutting absolutely the best cut diamonds I have ever seen contacted me and I became his sole on line seller and helped him find many Stateside Bricks and Mortar sellers.

I tried to retire to be with my wife full time. She has had my back for more than 50 years now, and she needs me to take hers now. Retirement sucks! Daytime TV is total drivel and will kill you quickly if you sit and watch it.

Instead one of my former competitors and good friends has hired me to help him get successful on the Internet. I am to work at home, part time, and be his Brand Ambassador. He is working on getting his website updated for ecommerce. He already has a hugely successful Bricks and Mortar business and I fully expect to be able to drive his online business to several millions of dollars by the time I am 80.

Sorry, TMI.

Short answer: No, I am not a bench jeweler. I work with clients around the world to help the find what they want and to have the dream translated into reality, often a different reality than they thought they were looking for. Sometimes that translated dream is less than what they thought they would have to spend.

I sell into Europe, Asia, Canada, South Africa, all of the U.S., Australia, and New Zealand. I cannot sell into Central and South America as I can only get shipping insurance for $100 into those countries. I work with the top quality diamond cutters, and have access to top quality custom work jewelers, as well as off the shelf mountings for those on a lower budget.
Fascinating! You are a great example of an beyond-excellent photographer because you photograph subjects you are passionate about. Please keep sharing!

The Nikon Closeup thread on "filters" are very good. When I was shooting weddings I used a 77mm +4 instead of a macro lens. The Closeup filter took up a fraction of the space in my bag and was readily available when needed. Worked very well on the 24-70mm zoom lens for macro shots.

Please keep sharing!

Okay, Please feel free to tell me when you have seen enough. I found a great short video I did of a diamond too, am I allowed to post an MP4 file?

Here is a nice two carat plus in platinum if my memory serves. I served up the diamond and Leon Mege served up the mounting.

Img3271.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Here is one of my front surface mirror shots taken in 2017. Look at the incredible dispersion I was able to catch.

Doherty appraisal front.jpg

Here is the AGS grading report for the diamond pictured below the report. 3.17 cts of incredible joy described analytically, the joy comes from the seeing.

AGS-report.jpg

Img2876.jpg

A loose diamond held in a four prong plunger style holder.

Img2557.jpg

That is my limit of files for this post.

That is enough for now, more later if you would like.

LOL, I was going to tease you about calling me John, but then I realized you would be able to double tease me for misspelling the word jewelry in the title of the thread. Obviously, proof reading is not my strength... ;)

LOL, I was going to tease you about calling me John, but then I realized you would be able to double tease me for misspelling the word jewelry in the title of the thread. Obviously, proof reading is not my strength... ;)
Oooops! I saw the name John - and it was Joh who "liked" your photo! Well.....it was close to "Jones"....!

Thank you, that is a 2.33 ct. Q color diamond that is extremely well cut for beauty, not weight retention. The background is a dried sea sponge. We always found something fun to put the jewelry on.
Thanks for the wonderful pics. I cut gemstones except for diamonds. I normally cut for the setting the customer has picked. I love cutting as much as photography. In fact wanting to take photos of my gemstones is my reason for getting started in photography. Would you please share your set up as far as lighting? I have not been successfully able to capture scintillation. You have done an amazing job. Sorry I missed your post with your description of technical information. Amazing shots now I can play after a little money spent on lighting. I have the rest.

Thank you for your kind words. It surely started out my Saturday in warm fuzzy way.

Unfortunately, the company that made my light box introduced a box with multiple diode lights that was supposed to be the cats meow and instead made all of my diamonds look yellowish. I returned it. The box apparently drove them out of business, as shortly after I returned my "new and improved" box, they closed their doors.

There are others out there who make boxes. The trick is to find one that makes a great box, with light from all sides, the top and the bottom. I also use a multiple diode light tool that I got from a local camera store that I move around until I get just the sparkle or flash of light that I want and then click the shutter. I have the camera tethered to my computer with the Nikon Camera Control 2 software, so I can see exactly what I am going to get. I should probably have two of them so I can get more rays of light coming from more locations, as that is what a diamond or a colored gem needs to sparkle.

Sadly, I had an employee who somehow managed to delete a folder that had thousands of photos in subfolders, including an incredible library of the wonderful art of Richard Homer, a genius cutter who helped develop the art of concave faceting in gemstones. I did not know it had been deleted, and my on line back up had only a 30 day backup of changes made and it was some months before I discovered the loss. both my off line and on line systems had long since overwritten the loss.

I do have a few videos of his work, here are links to of them:

I am happy to assist you in any way that I can. Please message me if I can be of help and we can exchange emails and phone numbers.

To the moderators: I did not realize that posting the link would make them playable from within the post. If that is not okay please let me know and I will remove them.

I have found some of my Richard Homer photos that were taken in 2018.

Concave Faceted aquamarine

Gem Stone pics -2.jpg

Concave postage stamp cut by Richard Homer

Gem Stone pics -3.jpg

Citrine Quartz, wowza, what a color!

Gem Stone pics -4.jpg

Last one for tonight, a mgnificent indicolite tourmaline. I bought this one from a bank in Antwerp that had foreclosed on collateral for a loan.

Gem Stone pics -1.jpg

I am going to bed now with Barbara Streisand in my ears, "Memories, can be beautiful..."

Wink, these are masterful images and you (and Richard Homer) have done great work controlling the internal and external reflection/refraction of the gemstones. I wish I'd had these specimens when I taught the labs for mineralogy/petrology classes when I was in grad school!
Glen

Wink, these are masterful images and you (and Richard Homer) have done great work controlling the internal and external reflection/refraction of the gemstones. I wish I'd had these specimens when I taught the labs for mineralogy/petrology classes when I was in grad school!
Glen

Thank you GlenW. It is a shame I lost the before picture for the pale blue aquamarine that a doctor had paid way too much for from an unethical investment advisor. I bought six poorly cut aquas from him for what I would expect to pay at wholesale in Brasil and had Richard Homer recut them. He also had spent thousands with the same (expletives deleted) "advisor" for stamps. I contacted a friend of mine who worked with stamps who told me they were worth less than face as an investment and could only recoup face if used for postage. The doctor had paid much more than face and many of them were for very small denominations, such as one penny, making them very hard to use.

Soon after I bought the stones, the doctor retired from practice here in the States and went to work full time as a volunteer in Africa. He had been taking three to six months per year off to volunteer when I was his patient, and I selfishly wish he was still in practice.

Back