JoWP: Journal of Wildlife Photography

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've been a member for few years (2018?). I'm a lifetime subscriber, and have found the membership to be worth it. Currently, the publishers are working hard to add features and value and that has increased the overall value of membership.

There's also PhotoWild, which I also find to provide value and to which I have a subscription.

This is all quite subjective. For me, I find value that makes it worth it. YMMV.

The Journal of Wildlife Photography (JWP) was started by Jared Lloyd in 2018. Originally called The Photographer's Journal (TPJ), it focused on all aspects of nature photography. After five issues it was renamed JWP and focused solely on wildlife photography. I think limiting the magazine to just wildlife photography was a mistake because, after about 4 years, the magazine seemed to run out of subject matter to write about. The last two years haven't had much that held my interest--a lot of articles on safari photography subjects , conservation photography, and particular species profiles (seldom on subjects that I photograph). You do get access to back issues and videos, although the back issues no longer include the first five issues when it was called TPJ. I waited about 3 years to join, because I thought 97 dollars for 4 issues was too much, but 97 dollars for 12 issues was reasonable. You can upgrade your membership to lifetime, and I was impressed enough to give them another 200 dollars to do so. I have to say I regret that now because, as noted, the articles of the last 2 years weren't worthwhile in my opinion. Jared Lloyd split from the magazine recently and has started another one called PhotoWild, for $97/year and no lifetime membership option. JWP currently has over 31,000 subscribers. Jared Lloyd is from my home state and is a very talented photographer. I think he came up with an excellent marketing idea. Initially he was having contests about every six months with camera gear prizes that totalled up to $11,000 for the one winner. I think these contests attracted a lot of subscribers, especially early on when there were only several thousand subscribers. With over 31,000 current subscribers currently, and who knows how many former single-year subscribers that are no longer among this 31,000, he must have grossed somewhere between 3 and 9 million dollars in 5 years.
All that said, I believe the 4 years of content is worth $97, although unfortunately the first five issues aren't included and they had some of the best articles.

The Journal of Wildlife Photography (JWP) was started by Jared Lloyd in 2018. Originally called The Photographer's Journal (TPJ), it focused on all aspects of nature photography. After five issues it was renamed JWP and focused solely on wildlife photography. I think limiting the magazine to just wildlife photography was a mistake because, after about 4 years, the magazine seemed to run out of subject matter to write about. The last two years haven't had much that held my interest--a lot of articles on safari photography subjects , conservation photography, and particular species profiles (seldom on subjects that I photograph). You do get access to back issues and videos, although the back issues no longer include the first five issues when it was called TPJ. I waited about 3 years to join, because I thought 97 dollars for 4 issues was too much, but 97 dollars for 12 issues was reasonable. You can upgrade your membership to lifetime, and I was impressed enough to give them another 200 dollars to do so. I have to say I regret that now because, as noted, the articles of the last 2 years weren't worthwhile in my opinion. Jared Lloyd split from the magazine recently and has started another one called PhotoWild, for $97/year and no lifetime membership option. JWP currently has over 31,000 subscribers. Jared Lloyd is from my home state and is a very talented photographer. I think he came up with an excellent marketing idea. Initially he was having contests about every six months with camera gear prizes that totalled up to $11,000 for the one winner. I think these contests attracted a lot of subscribers, especially early on when there were only several thousand subscribers. With over 31,000 current subscribers currently, and who knows how many former single-year subscribers that are no longer among this 31,000, he must have grossed somewhere between 3 and 9 million dollars in 5 years.
All that said, I believe the 4 years of content is worth $97, although unfortunately the first five issues aren't included and they had some of the best articles.
Thank you!

I have subscribed to both. JWP is now offering webinars & expanded tutorials which I'm really appreciating. However, I'm a huge fan of Jared Lloyd and I enjoy how he digs into animal behaviour a bit deeper. That said, I don't have time to read each and every newsletter and there seems to be a lot of them. A choice between them is tough with the addition of webinars. I think your interest and or value gained by each of these may depend on your level of expertise. As a beginner, they are holding value - not sure down the road with more experience if I'll feel the same.

Thanks for the timing of this. I had a very similar question. So, is Jared no longer involved with JWP? It seems one day I'm getting e-mails from him at JWP not PW. Just to add, the dude is brilliant on behavior.

Looking at both of these.
PhotoWild seems to be more locality based - ie the US (is it?)
Being in Australia I wonder if getting an annual subs to JoWP to access the back issues is better value?
Many thanks

Back