Just got the Tamron Z 35-150 f2-2.8 Di III V XD for my Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

and sold my Nikon Z 70-200 f2.8 as I thought it was just too heavy for me (I am a senior, over 80)

just shot a golf tournament on Thursday,

and really not sure if the Tamron is close to what I was getting from my 70-200.

Anyone out there who has this Tamron like what they are getting?

Stephen

No, it's not comparable to the 70-200 f/2.8 and suffers in the longer FL's as well as in the corners. It's really geared better for portraits/weddings, etc. If you are looking for a lighter, more compact, and useful combination think about the Nikon 70-180 f/2.8 and the new Tammy 28-75 f/2.8 G2.

Screenshot 2024-06-22 180347.png
Screenshot 2024-06-22 180506.png

Hi John

Thank you for your replies.

I have te 24-120.

It is a good lens,

the 35-150 is, IMO, better,

the 70-200 f2.8 was outstanding.

I am looking for an "outstanding" lens

but lighter than what I had,

if there is one out there?

Hi John

I have te 24-120.

It is a good lens,

You won't find a zoom in that range that is as good, nevermind better than the 2.8 you had. All other choices are compromises: lighter and cheaper but you give up image quality.

I use the Tamron z mount 35-150 f/2-2.8 on my Z9 and get as good or better results where I use it indoors at church with crazy mixed light and no flash can be used. I have also used it outdoors for easter egg hunts, church work days etc. All around for me it outperformed my Z70-200 f/2.8 and I do not have to use the Z24-120 to cover the 25-50 mm range I needed inside the church. It worked so well for me that I sold my Z70-200 f/2.8.

I just got the Z6III and used the Tamron 35-150 for some test shots indoors at home with my wife and cat and all seemed great and ready for indoors at church.

All that being said I am primarily a bird ID photographer so most of my photography is with much longer lenses. Most used on my Z9's are a Z800mm pf, Z600mm pf and Tamron ZMount 150-500.

First - IMO the 24-120 4 S is absolutely an outstanding lens.
But given your criteria, and trying to match the 70-200's range as much as possible, I'd say your best option here is Nikon's 70-180 2.8. It's significantly smaller & lighter than the 70-200 2.8 S. I have the latter, it's a favorite, but ya it's a tank.

I have te 24-120.

It is a good lens,

No, it's not comparable to the 70-200 f/2.8 and suffers in the longer FL's as well as in the corners. It's really geared better for portraits/weddings, etc. If you are looking for a lighter, more compact, and useful combination think about the Nikon 70-180 f/2.8 and the new Tammy 28-75 f/2.8 G2.

View attachment 91767View attachment 91768
I honestly never paid attention to charts etc. not that type of techie guy but this has me confused because it does not tell what the color of the lines mean etc.??

If weight is and issue the Tamron z mount 35-150 is quite heavy.

I honestly never paid attention to charts etc. not that type of techie guy but this has me confused because it does not tell what the color of the lines mean etc.?
Essentially IQ (sharpness and contrast) as you move further from the center, the left side of the graph. The top lines are for lesser resolving sensors. So the best lenses have a straight line across the top. Older and cheaper will quickly slope downwards. When someone says "soft corners," that corresponds to the top lines crossing around 0.70 maybe 2/3 away from the left.

Essentially IQ (sharpness and contrast) as you move further from the center, the left side of the graph. The top lines are for lesser resolving sensors. So the best lenses have a straight line across the top. Older and cheaper will quickly slope downwards. When someone says "soft corners," that corresponds to the top lines crossing around 0.70 maybe 2/3 away from the left.
thank you but how do I know what lens or lenses are being shown in the charts??

thank you but how do I know what lens or lenses are being shown in the charts??
It's always associated with a lens. Most lens manufacturers publish it. The ones above are for the Nikon and Tamy zooms we're discussing here. For zooms, manufacturers typically publish both wide and tele. Independent testers will give you more charts at more apertures. Zooms are never as good as primes.

It's always associated with a lens. Most lens manufacturers publish it. The ones above are for the Nikon and Tamy zooms we're discussing here. For zooms, manufacturers typically publish both wide and tele. Independent testers will give you more charts at more apertures. Zooms are never as good as primes.
So the charts shown here are just for the Tamron? The second set of charts that start with f/2 on the top left are the ones on the Tamron webpage so they must be just for the Tamron. So not comparison charts correct? My curiosity is getting the better of me. I should be working on my first bird shoot with the Z600 f/6.3 pf ... stopped in the middle of processing for this and dinner :)

I could not find the charts on the Nikon web page ... but I never had a complaint about the image quality of the Z70-200.

By the way the Tamron is only slightly lighter (6.9 oz) than the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 and when I had them both the "feel" in hand felt about the same possibly because the tamron does not change focal lengths internally. I shot both in the same lighting etc. indoors in weird light and the Tamron was as good as the Nikon in the output for the images I took but that was not an apples to apples because the Tamron was at f/2 and at a shorter focal length than the Nikon in many of the images. My use there is primarily from 35 to 100.

As someone noted it is geared to weddings, portraits etc. and that is more like what I use it for and even the easter egg hunt shots outdoors would be different than a golf tournament.

Last edited:
if you want in this range and you want lighter while still having good image quality, the only zoom that comes to mind is the tamron 70-180

but one possibility are primes. like the 85 1.8
? I have never read about a Tamron 70-180 for Nikon Z or DSLR. Must be for another brand. I did find it .. it is for Sony.

So the charts shown here are just for the Tamron? The second set of charts that start with f/2 on the top left are the ones on the Tamron webpage so they must be just for the Tamron. So not comparison charts correct? My curiosity is getting the better of me. I should be working on my first bird shoot with the Z600 f/6.3 pf ... stopped in the middle of processing for this and dinner :)

By the Tamron is only slightly lighter (6.9 oz) than the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 and when I had them both the "feel" in hand felt about the same possibly because the tamron does not change focal lengths internally. I shot both in the same lighting etc. indoors in weird light and the Tamron was as good as the Nikon in the output for the images I took but that was not an apples to apples because the Tamron was at f/2 and at a shorter focal length than the Nikon in many of the images. My use there is primarily from 35 to 100.

As someone noted it is geared to weddings, portraits etc. and that is more like what I use it for and even the easter egg hunt shots outdoors would be different than a golf tournament.
Some say that "charts don't matter." I disagree, as in my experience there is a direct correlation between MTF and field experience. For laughs, use same settings and peek at the corners, uncropped. Ideally on a chart. If you're cropping regularly or only the center matters, who cares what the charts say.

The new Nikkor primes are amongst the best lenses ever made, and the charts show that. Zoom is always a compromise since it's near impossible to maximize sharpness in all focal lengths. Fujinon Duvo HZK 24-300 comes close to perfection.

Some say that "charts don't matter." I disagree, as in my experience there is a direct correlation between MTF and field experience. For laughs, use same settings and peek at the corners, uncropped. Ideally on a chart. If you're cropping regularly or only the center matters, who cares what the charts say.

The new Nikkor primes are amongst the best lenses ever made, and the charts show that. Zoom is always a compromise since it's near impossible to maximize sharpness in all focal lengths. Fujinon Duvo HZK 24-300 comes close to perfection.
Now I am more confused how can see an image on a chart ?? and these charts seem to be for the Tamron ?

I agree my Nikon Z800mm f/6.3 and Z600mm f/6.3 that I was processing birding images from are amazing as is my Z50mm f/1.8. I am sure the Z400 f/2.8 is amazing but at this time I have not been willing to commit to the weight or the cost at the lower end of the focal lengths I use the most so no loner from NPS :)

Now I am more confused how can see an image on a chart ?? and these charts seem to be for the Tamron ?

I agree my Nikon Z800mm f/6.3 and Z600mm f/6.3 that I was processing birding images from are amazing as is my Z50mm f/1.8. I am sure the Z400 f/2.8 is amazing but at this time I have not been willing to commit to the weight or the cost at the lower end of the focal lengths I use the most so no loner from NPS :)
I meant shoot a chart. Sorry.

The top 2, which are world-class for a zoom, are the Nikon, at tele and wide. Ignore the blue lines.
I think I am slowly getting it :) So what I should be looking at are S10 and M10 on both the Nikon and Tamron Charts they are of course not quite apples to apples since Nikon just says wide and tele which I guess would be 70 and 200 mm while the Tamron is 35mm, 85 and 150.

For what I used both for indoors at church they both performed very well but the need for the 35-50 mm area was what had me using the Z24-120 along with the Z70-200 so juggling two cameras and lenses on the go between the upstairs loft and the floor level. The Z70-200 images were mostly at 150 - 200 mm and are excellent and the charts show that.

But I can not tell any practical difference in the 85-120 mm area in the images I took but they were not at the same time in the same exact light etc.. And the Tamron is better than the Nikon 24-120 down in the 35 - 50 range as I would expect. So the one lens "workhorse solution" won out for my needs but would not for others.

I will post some of the bird ID images from my first birding outing with the Z600 f/6.3 on the forum in a moment.

@Nimi Here is the link to some of the bird ID shots from the Z9 Z600f/6.3 combo that I was processing as mentioned above.

Back