Just grass, a distant tree, and then I honestly do not know how he slipped into the image, Steve!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Callie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
A blast from the past, long ago at Rovos Rail, Pretoria; alas this type of opportunity gets less and less.
Tried my hand this week on this image from 2009, never could get the colours and PP right before so it sat on the HD.
Steve delete if not a landscape!
D300; No clue what lens; F/7.1; 1/1000; ISO 400

00683 20X14W D3OO 4861.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Thanks guys 'n girls, much appreciated. This is even a more unusual sighting than a leopard! 😁
Could not help it, it sat 11 years in the dark and then it demanded to be shared! ;)

You have to be careful about those iron horses. Sometime you hear them and they never come around and sometimes they slip up on you almost unheard. They will trample you if you venture too far into their territory. Their handlers can be friendly or testy depending upon the mood of the beast.

I've found that cool and humid mornings are the best time to photograph the beasts in the wild. This allows you to see their breath. You may be lucky enough to catch one waking up. On warmer and dryer days, the images are not as impressive.

Years ago a friend of mine built an online gallery featuring locomotive photos with songs assigned to each photo. He asked for permission to use one of mine of a BNSF crossing the skykomish but I forget the song.
This would have been a great selection for that gallery

A blast from the past, long ago at Rovos Rail, Pretoria; alas this type of opportunity gets less and less.
Tried may hand this week on this image from 2009, never could get the colours and PP right before so it sat on the HD.

View attachment 10260
Do you remember about when this was taken?
Also, my son in law is a past president of a large RR museum and loves trains and pictures of them---especially steam locomotives. I showed him this picture and he was ecstatic and wanted me to pass along his thanks. So, thank you and congratulations.

Do you remember about when this was taken?
Also, my son in law is a past president of a large RR museum and loves trains and pictures of them---especially steam locomotives. I showed him this picture and he was ecstatic and wanted me to pass along his thanks. So, thank you and congratulations.
Thank you!
2009 05 31, but it was staged for a lot of photographers, running, but only for special occasions! Have not seen a loco since then😢

Tried may hand this week on this image from 2009, never could get the colours and PP right before so it sat on the HD.

View attachment 10260

Love the photo, very nice. Who cares if its a mighty D300 LOL the photo is so powerful.

Only an idea, I wonder what it would look like if the object on the left was cropped out, would it draw or keep the eye more on the train engine and what's behind it. I held up an A4 sheet of paper on my screen cutting out the object, it sparked my imagination, hence the question.

Also I wonder if it would look stronger or not if Flipped........worth a try only if its to see the difference.

Only an Opinion

I'm not certain but I think that is a water tank for the steam engine.

One big disadvantage of steam engines, apart from the cinders in the smoke, was their thirst. Every 50 miles, or so, they would have to take on more water. Hence the water tower in the shot. It would not be complete without it. A great shot of a stately old beast.
Thanks for sharing.

One big disadvantage of steam engines, apart from the cinders in the smoke, was their thirst. Every 50 miles, or so, they would have to take on more water. Hence the water tower in the shot. It would not be complete without it. A great shot of a stately old beast.
Thanks for sharing.

All good mate, the tower adds to the story, its an awesome picture, and the D300 is a very underrated camera I loved mine greatly. I loved riding on the steam trains as kid LOL

Thanks, Folks, and Steve!
@Etching House ~ Thanks ~ As for flipping the image, it is my #1 rule. I always flip my images to determine which side speaks to me. Here, the coming out of the top of the right hand corner, works visually better/stronger than the top left down. As mentioned, the water tank is part of the in situ decor like the rails and the grass and steam. I did crop a bit off for balance. I had 2XD300 and a D300S, all at the same time. After the disaster of the D200, it was magic, and then the D3S and D700 sunk those D300's. ;)

Last edited:
Back