Kayak Models and Setups

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have used the Hobie kayaks that can be powered by your legs and so no need to paddle. That leaves your hands free for the camera and also minimizes the chances of water dripping down from the paddle and hitting the camera and lens - a particular concern in salt water.

I have been looking at the Sea Eagle inflatable kayaks that are designed for mounting a Bixpy electric motor to the bottom. With an inflatable that can be ready to launch in 20 minutes makes transport and storage much easier. The kayak would fit in the trunk of a sedan or cargo area of a small SUV. The Sea Eagle kayak with the Bixby are less expensive than the Hobie inflatable kayaks and provide far more protection for you gear from the water. The Hobie inflatable kayaks are more like a paddleboard with a chair.

The single person Sea Eagle kayaks weigh from 35 to 45 lbs and the two person Sea Eagle Razorlite weighs 45 lbs, all are manageable by a single person.

A separate issue that needs to be understood is that cargo ships and fishing boats have spread invasive quagga and zebra mussels in the USA. As result in many lakes and reservoirs an inspection is mandatory before launching and to pass the inspection the boat must be perfectly dry, inside and out. This is more difficult for multi day use of any inflatable boat or kayak.

My wife has a Oru foldable kayak. She only paddles, not fishing, motor, etc.

Interested in a very stable kayak of photography. Suggestions?

I use a feel free lure 11’, very stable, center console is removable to allow a peddle system/motor to be installed. I’m probably gunna just add a trolling motor as the peddle system/motor is another 2500$ and trolling motor setup I could probably do for cheaper

The Bixby drive unit has been around for more than 10 years and the total cost with the motor, controller, and lithium battery pack is $1,300. With a strong current or a headwind the motor assist is invaluable.

What is great about the Sea Eagle is that they make adding the Bixby motor a simple process for the kayak owner and also include it in some of their packages.

I use a Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 (12') that is stable and tracks very straight, which are both considerations when shooting from the water. I would love to have some other propulsion other than just my paddle, but as some of the waters that I frequent are very shallow (as in, butt-dragging shallow) I'm forced to only paddle. I use a Z9 + 180-600, and I mostly handhold.

I have a Long Haul Folding Kayak, specifically a Stretch Mark 2.

The kayak is a really high quality kayak based on the Klepper concept that can be disassembled and packed into bags. My model is a "stretch" model that can be converted between a tandem and solo setup by moving a few frame pieces around. It is one of the most stable rigs out there and it handles itself quite well in weather and is reasonably fast. It would be a good platform from which to photograph. the kayak can be equipped with boards that can be used as a platform for staging devices. For instance, it would be possible to install a gimbal or tripod mount.

That being said, all kayaks are exposed to water (which may be salt water) and it is impossible to stay completely dry. This does operate with paddles and they drip.

I have never had the courage to bring an expensive camera into a kayak.

I had a 43 ft sailboat for years and I can tell you even with a boat that size things still get wet all the time. You would need to take special precautions to protect expensive camera gear.

If I were to get back into it again I would probably go for a small aluminum trailerable boat, something with an enclosed cabin where you can keep gear out of the elements. Even then I would carry my gear in Pelican cases. If you had a small battery powered motor on one of those you would be very quiet in operation and would have a better chance to get closer to wildlife. Marine fuel engines can be very noisy and sound really carries on the water.

Where I live in Western Washington there is a wealth of opportunities for water based photography. there are a lot of small rocks and islands where shore birds collect and nest. Plus lots of sea mammals including Dahl's porpoises. There are all sorts of seals and sea lions as well as huge Orcas.

That being said the seas can be tricky. Currents can get nasty, fog can come out of nowhere and cut visibility to zero and then there are tidal rips. If you have ever ridden through tidal rips you won't want to do that again. Imagine six foot tall standing waves crashing and splashing everywhere and pushing you sideways. Those are not survivable on a small boat. I barely made it through on a 26 ft sailboat with a deep keel and with the cabin completely sealed off so we could not be flooded.

If I want to go out on my kayak with a camera I have a cheap Olympus TG-6 waterproof camera. I also have a Nikonos film underwater camera I could use.

There are underwater housings for expensive cameras but they cost a pretty penny and are finicky and you can't change lenses very well.

One has to be selective when out on any boat with camera gear. In areas with high tidal flows one can check the tide tables and go out at slack tide for a couple of hours. The tidal change is also much less in the summer and this helps.

At Elkhorn Slough a few miles from my house one is wise to not paddle up when the tide is coming out or to be coming back to the harbor when there is the usual strong wind in the afternoon. Not as much of a problem with a Hobie with my legs providing the power but daunting for most who are using arms strength with a paddle.

Most places with wildlife do not have a launch ramp for a boat on a trailer. Even where there is a boat ramp it is not necessarily easy to approach with a tow vehicle and trailer or to park afterwards. The downsides with kayaks has been lifting them up to put on a roof rack with a double kayak weighing around 90 lbs. This is when a shorter vehicle like a Subaru is a real advantage.

Keeping camera and lens dry is not all that difficult and I have used the bags made for kayak fishermen to keep their catch while paddling back to shore.

Kayak Fish Cooler.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I use Wilderness Systems Pungo 120. I don't fish, just photograph. I handhold my setup and paddle. I like the Pungo as it is very stable and tracks well. It has a very large cockpit opening (especially if you don't use the drink holder) which allows me lots of free space to raise and lower my lens. I have used all the way up to my A1 and 600/4 GM from it. I leave the camera/lens between my legs, usually the camera resting in my crotch. When I'm ready to shoot I leave the paddle across the boat tucked up against my abdomen and raise and shoot.
For sure having some sort of peddle drive would be nice to not always have to be switching between paddling and shooting but I wanted to keep the weight of the kayak down. I think the Pungo is around 49lbs. I load it on and off my car myself and sometimes carry it down trails to get to the water. I know the peddle drive/fishing kayaks are heavier.

IMG_3924.jpg
IMG_5176.jpg
IMG_5027.jpg

Something to consider is being stealthy in approaching wildlife. With paddles swinging it can spook wildlife and pedal drive or electric drive avoids that problem completely. It is also possible to use a frame and cameo netting while in the kayak.

The other consideration is staying place to photograph a subject when there is current or wind moving the kayak. Some pedal drive kayaks can be pedalled in reverse to stay in one location while shooting. This is even more important if shooting video.

A small inflatable boat with a hard bottom and a trolling motor is ideal but more complicated in terms of inflating and transport and it is going to be much heavier than an inflatable kayak. A key advantage is that one can use a tripod on an inflatable with the hard floor.

Whenever operating a boat powered by a human being, efficiency is important for range and speed. Kayaks are popular because you sit low in the water, the boat is streamlined and offers little wind resistance. Paddle boats offer much greater wind resistance. Unfortunately stability and speed are frequently competing concerns. The fastest boats are super skinny and unstable.

if I were going to dos one serious photography from a boat I would consider getting a very stable dinghy and putting an electric trolling motor on it. They are bigger and heavier but can be transported in the bed of.a pickup truck And wheeled to the water.

Actually a much more stable platform is a Livingston dinghy. They have catamaran type bases and are very stable. You can pick them up pretty cheap. I saw one advertised for $500 and it included a small trolling motor. The larger ones are typically trailerable. I saw one advertised complete with trailer for about $1700. You can row them with oars or use an electric motor.

For a truly stable platform the Boston Whaler is legendary for its stability. They use them as tenders for large yachts. Those are more pricey.

The ultimate in stability would be an “inflatable” type hard bottom boat. They make those with some form of closed type foam sides. They have enclosed cabins. They are incredibly stable and they use them to train the military and coast guard. They also use them for marine security and they usually have a powerful gun mounted to the foredeck. These are expensive boats costing way more than a pair of prime telephoto zoom lenses complete with Z9’s.

I would bring my Z9 and 800mm onto a Livingston under the right circumstances. I would feel really safe bringing my camera gear onto a Boston Whaler.

I would consider Native Watercraft Ultimate FX12, hybrid fishing kayak, offers best of both worlds, kayak and a canoe. I have similiar kayak from widlerness systems, Commander 120, has been discontinued. The Ultimate is very similiar.

I use a very basic sit-on kayak on the Ocean. I keep the camera and lens on my knees/lap with a plastic cover to protect from salt water splashes. Pedals would not work for me as I need my knees to rest the lens on. Have considered a Bixby, they look good, but don't like adding complexity. I use a Z9 with 400/4.5 or Tamron 150-500. Have tried the 800pf but too much lens for a kayak bobbing up and down to be fun. Kayaks are unbeatable for seabird images due to their ability to get close and low. Of course capsize or getting swamped by a big wave are constant risks, but worth taking IMO.

I use an Old Town Loon 10.6' kayak, but only in fresh water. Generally used on smaller ponds, and wetlands, and shallow water is common. It has a removable front storage compartment leaving a nice large cockpit, so lifting camera up and down is not an issue. If paddling to specific point, I just slide my camera into a tethered dry bag. If shooting, and doing some light paddling to maneuver, I'll often lay the empty dry bag over the camera to help prevent water from the paddle dripping on it. I've been using the Z8, and either 100-400mm, 400mm f4.5, or 600mm PF, depending on what I am intending to shoot.

Last edited:
My boat of choice is Hornbek's 10'6" Lost Pond Boat, a canoe that weighs less than 15 pound and is paddled from a low seat like a kayak and with a kayak paddle. If I need to sneak up on wildlife I carry a child's canoe paddle to use in a stealthy mode. This is a boat for quiet lakes and ponds or slow rivers, not whitewater.

My wife has a Oru foldable kayak. She only paddles, not fishing, motor, etc.

Interested in a very stable kayak of photography. Suggestions?
I was looking at these as they would be doable for me alone. This isn't stable enough to take gear or? Wanting the ability of paddle via feet?

We have a Klepper foalboat, stable enough to not capsize (I tried it up to 1.5 m waves). Obviously too small to get rid of boat movement, but stable enough to not worry about gear. Unless you drop it over the side... Which is my constant fear when shooting from the kayak, my own stupidity and clumsiness at the wrong moment...

Unless you drop it over the side... Which is my constant fear when shooting from the kayak, my own stupidity and clumsiness at the wrong moment...

Mine as well. I took a short length of rope, tied it around the seat, and on the other end attached a quick clip. That clip attaches to the QD swivel on the Hejnar foot of my Z180-600. Worse case, if my camera/lens go in the drink I have an expensive repair...but cheaper that having the rig sink to the bottom and have to buy all new again!

I usually have the camera strap around my kneck in the Kayak, for shooting, for paddling it is sitting between my feet. Early in the trip in a bag, then covered by said bag, then sitting on said bag and covered by a shirt and at the end sitting on both bag and shirt... Weather sealing is a great invention!

kayaks are tricky boats to manage. when i first started to use them the first thing they teach is how to self rescue. you are trained to capsize the boat then right it, use a paddle and float to help you get back on then use hand pump to get water out. you never go anywhere without self rescue gear.

i have gone in the water several times just getting in and out of the boat. try launching a kayak from a beach in surf.

keeping kayaks stable is a skill. You need to know how to brace using the paddle.

I will not bring my good camera gear into this environment.

Depends on the kayak. Dedicated sea kayaks are very close to white water ones in that regard. Those for rivers and lakes are incredibly stable, hard to capsize (one can, if you really try) and impossible to turn back once they did.

For beginners, try going to a lake, in summer whem you'd swim as well. Worst thing that can happen is a swim, wear a swim suite and a vest (if you want, and it is safer). Launching into the surf at a beach is different, and very difficult. I can't, for lack of practice. Launching from shore into a lake or river, easy.

Best practice: load gear once you, or one person in case of a two seater, is in the kayak. The same applies for kanus.

I own a kayak but take my camera out in canoe. Kayaking for me is a wet experience if only from dripping paddles. I'm not too worried about the camera in the canoe under good conditions but I put it in a pelican case for entering/exiting, easy whitewater, weather, etc.

Back