Kestrel In The Environment - Using Z9 Auto Capture

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

agrumpybirdphotographer

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I had an opportunity in the last week to take some images of both Kestrels and Kingfishers at a couple of private sites in Yorkshire. The Kestrel site gave me a chance to try out the Z9 auto capture facility properly for the first time.

I had given it a go in the garden but without much success so I wasn’t holding out a lot of hope but using Steve’s excellent guidelines in his Z9/8 book. I gave it a whizz at the start and end of the session.

I used a 24-70mm @ 24mm and tried to capture a “Bird In The Landscape” type image.

TBH I was pleasantly surprised how well it worked, loads of “misses“ but quite a few hits as well.

Anyhoo just thought I’d share the experience of using auto capture.

Kestrel Environment 1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

14092023_4-0104-NEF_DXO.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Great to see someone else giving it a go. I have had similar experiences with woodpeckers in my yard. How many frames did it rip off for you?
Lots, I went with the info in Steves book and went for one criteria only (motion). To be safe the speed was set to 1 (to capture mostly everything) and the size to 2 (again in line with the book). All the motion directions were enabled and the AF points masked as appropriate to stop false triggers. Finally I set Rec Time to 2 s, with a Wait gap of 1s that seemed to give around 31 frames a burst at the set shutter speed. So as the bird was moving about ALOT of frames.

All in all I was actually quite impressed once I kinda got my head around things. Would I use it a lot, probably not but if I have similar opportunities in future I may well give it another go just to try something different.

Back