Killdeer

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This bird appears soft but it is tack sharp prior to uploading and is sized as per the recommendation, 1200 pixels on the long edge. I see other folk's images that are tack sharp in other posts, so I'm wondering if there's something I need to do to improve upon it so it's tack sharp after the upload. In LR, I have it set to sharpen for screen on the "Standard' setting.

Killdeer_En50.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

This bird appears soft but it is tack sharp prior to uploading and is sized as per the recommendation, 1200 pixels on the long edge. I see other folk's images that are tack sharp in other posts, so I'm wondering if there's something I need to do to improve upon it so it's tack sharp after the upload. In LR, I have it set to sharpen for screen on the "Standard' setting.
Hey, nice shot there! I thought the same thing so I decided to do what others were doing >>> size your picture to your liking with a higher resolution and upload it to Flickr. Then, copy and paste it from flickr to here and everyone can see it in all its glory, how you intended for it to be seen.

Last edited:
Nice shot. They are pretty little birds.

This issue of optimizing uploads has been discussed a good bit. In spite of what the website help page says 1200px results in the website upscaling the image and therefore softening it. Steve indicated that the page width is 1400px. Sharpness seems to be maintained better when the site downsizes rather than upsizing. So uploading at least 1400px(for landscape format) helps. If I recall Steve changed the upper limit to 2500px. So you can upload whatever size you are comfortable with. As someone already suggested the alternative is to link a higher rez image from image galleries hosted elsewhere.

This one is uploaded at 2048 pixels on the long edge and is much more representative of the actual sharpness of the bird.

Killdeer (4)_En50.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Reactions: seh
Back