Kingfisher , Lucky Shot

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Nice work Stumpy, they're beautiful the little Sacred Kingfishers. We're lucky here in OZ with several Kingfisher species.... and NZ!

Last edited:
Nice work Stumpy, they're beautiful the little Sacred Kingfishers. We're lucky here in OZ with several Kingfisher species.... and NZ!
Thanks Dean, I think we only have the one in NZ, also referred to as Sacred, Amazing numbers of birds in OZ , hopefully be over soon.

Thanks Dean, I think we only have the one in NZ, also referred to as Sacred, Amazing numbers of birds in OZ , hopefully be over soon.
Yeah surprisingly i though there may have been more, NZ only have two including the introduced Kookaburra, one only the Sacred natively.

I'll be honest i assumed the photo was in Oz when i first seen simply because it was a sacred.

Excellent photo. Too bad the rock it's on is so bright, the rock tends to call the viewer's attention away from the bird. Did you try to darken the rock, and only the rock, a bit?
Hi Woody, I agree with you, I'll give it a try. Thanks. The "rock" is actually an inverted rudder on an old sailing dingy

Last edited:
Looks better to me. I might even try to crop tighter on the bird to eliminate more of the rock so the viewer concentrates more on the bird which is the actual subject of the image; but that's just me, I like animal and bird portraits.

Looks better to me. I might even try to crop tighter on the bird to eliminate more of the rock so the viewer concentrates more on the bird which is the actual subject of the image; but that's just me, I like animal and bird portraits.
Hi Woody , Thanks for your input, I think I can now hang it on a wall. !!View attachment 34475

Looking at your rework, I find the rock looks over processed to me. To my eye there is too much orange/red in it. not sure but if you blow up the image to 100% do you see some noise? Hard to tell at the small size.

Please do read that I think the image is anything but excellent. Just a few thoughts for minor adjustments

Back