Kirk BL-Z8 l bracket

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

To each their own, but I've used QD (the real ones from MAGPUL) for years in the Army - never failed on my 10lbs of M4 and ammo or others I was with. Also never saw one "accidentally" disconnect. They took a lot of abuse getting into/out of vehicles, helos, and jumps, etc - Soldiers will find a way to break something. So...I have been using them on my cameras with BR strap since they started making the QD inserts for lens plates and camera plates. I'm sure there are examples of failure, but I worry more about my BR strap breaking than any issue with the QD. BTW, not all QD connectors are built the same. If you stick with the ones made for rifles and manufactured by MAGPUL you can't go wrong as they are stronger and also the release mechanism requires "significant positive input" to release.

Looks like a great option, which model for your Z8 you prefer?
FWIW - my Z8 and 100-400 just fits in the Think Tank 40 holster. I don't remember is that is with or without the tele.....sorry...so assume without the tele.

BUT I prefer to use my TT Street Walker when shooting cities, architecture, etc.

I can't obviously speak to the specific case you are referring to but I have no idea how you could mistakenly push release button. Mine does not release easily and I have to put noticeable pressure directly on it to release it. It has to be deliberate is what I'm getting at and the strap has to be push to the side to even get to it. I use the optech strap as a security strap just in case but have fortunately never had to rely on it. Optech strap is a inexpensive insurance. Again I can only speak to my experience but its been rock solid and makes it really easy to transition to tripod when needed. I have same optech straps on all of my lens plates as well.
I'm not trying to convince you, you should use it if you are not comfortable. Just listed it for anyone else that is looking at using this system and wondering about it.

View attachment 66140
I also have the Mag Pul QD strap and have been looking for a backup. The OpTech looks ideal. What size? M 3.5 in or XL 5?
Thanx

I also have the Mag Pul QD strap and have been looking for a backup. The OpTech looks ideal. What size? M 3.5 in or XL 5?
Thanx
Sorry for long reply, I just got back from vacation in New Zealand. I actually use both. Small one when attaching strap directly to camera and XL one when attaching to lens plate. I leave the small female side on my strap and just have small male end on my camera and large male side on my larger lens. This way I never had to remove the OP tech straps from either.

PSA - Amazon now has L-Brackets for the Z8 made by Sunway Photo. I just paid $49.99. I've used Sunway L-Brackets on D500, D850, Z7, and Z6. While a one piece L-Bracket, the fit and finish has been good.

bruce

I had the Black Rapid connector to the camera work itself loose while using the BR strap, resluting in a camera on the asphalt. QDs seem more secure.

Back