Klamath Falls Eagles

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Barbara

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I'm meeting some friends in Klamath Falls for eagle photography. My question is whether I should take my Nikon 600mm F4E, which also requires a heavy tripod. (I can barely lift it, much less handhold it.) I'd want that lens if there were opportunities to see eagles fishing and I could set up in a stationary position. Otherwise, I'll just take a 500mmPF, which I can handhold. So does anyone have experience with Klamath Falls at this time of year? (Yes, we know about Winter Wings, but are going the week after the festival to avoid the crowds.) Thanks for any info.

Last shoot I had with a heavy lens, I used a monopod…with the wimberley monogimbel.
I found I could really easily swing the thing around….up,down, left, right, it was brilliant.
that was the Nikon D7500 & 200-500 in Antarctica…birds and whales etc

A lot of factors to consider, and I'm not familiar with that area/surroundings.. but some things to consider based on a trip to Haines, AK for eagles.. if you can find out the average distance you may be from them you could then possibly gauge lens sizing (and estimating with a 6ft wingspan).. keeping in mind there will likely be a number of multi eagle situations (like one coming into land where there may be 1-3 or more others) and/or air/air battles with their large wingspans etc. Quick look through some of the ones from that trip where done using a 400mm lens on a cropped sensor camera.. at times also used a 2x converter (effective 1200mm). I used a tripod with a Gimbal head (and had it fairly loose to be able to move around). For me at least, when using the converter it made it quite difficult to find them when flying. At least there it seemed they were more interested in stealing someone else's catch/food than getting their own. Also, if focusing on one that is perched and you see it lift its tail and take a dump, you might want to quickly adjust settings/framing to prep for it to take off. :) Possible options for renting cameras/lenses/tripod heads etc too (if needed/applicable)

It's been a long time since I've been to Klamath, but as I recall one is mostly shooting perched birds, and they won't tolerate too close an approach. As I recall, I spent a lot of time shooting from the car, which actually makes a pretty good blind. (You're often inside a Refuge as well which may not allow you to leave your car).

Unlike Haines, where the eagles are catching fish, the eagles at Klamath are feeding on waterfowl. At Haines the eagles would sometimes get within 100-150' and I found that 600mm was often too much lens and I used 100-400 more. I don't think you're going to be getting that close at Klamath, but shooting from a fixed position (car on road) might make a zoom handy.

Hope it's a great trip.

It's been a long time since I've been to Klamath, but as I recall one is mostly shooting perched birds, and they won't tolerate too close an approach. As I recall, I spent a lot of time shooting from the car, which actually makes a pretty good blind. (You're often inside a Refuge as well which may not allow you to leave your car).

Unlike Haines, where the eagles are catching fish, the eagles at Klamath are feeding on waterfowl. At Haines the eagles would sometimes get within 100-150' and I found that 600mm was often too much lens and I used 100-400 more. I don't think you're going to be getting that close at Klamath, but shooting from a fixed position (car on road) might make a zoom handy.

Hope it's a great trip.
Thanks! After I posted I realized that they feed on waterfowl, and I agree a zoom would be nice for that. I also have a Sony option (200-600) so now I'm leaning towards that. Thanks again.

Hope it's a great trip.
Im a few hours from Klamath Falls, and am now considering a trip there. Where is this that they feed on waterfowl in Klamath?

Im a few hours from Klamath Falls, and am now considering a trip there. Where is this that they feed on waterfowl in Klamath?
I read that it's a pretty dry year right now and a lot of the lakes don't have water, so I'd check with the refuge before going. But in a normal year there are up to a million snow geese, so there's a lot of potential eagle food around. They say this is the biggest gathering of eagles in the lower 48.

I go to Klamath with a little regularity. I primarily use a 500mm f4 lens with a 1.4 tc. Even if a bird is sitting on a power pole on the side of the road and if I am between power poles the eagle (golden or bald) will just fill the frame. Bald eagles this time of year will feed on mice escaping flooded fields which are spread throughout the Klamath basin. They also feed on waterfowl of which there are thousands although the drought the last couple years has taken its toll. There are hundreds of eagles and other raptors in the region. Here’s a site that will lead to very specific roads around the refuge that run through agricultural lands. Get a good local map and drive these local roads near lower Klamath refuge and around Thule lake. The website will give you current info.

Klamath Basin Bird News - Google Groups

I go to Klamath with a little regularity. I primarily use a 500mm f4 lens with a 1.4 tc. Even if a bird is sitting on a power pole on the side of the road and if I am between power poles the eagle (golden or bald) will just fill the frame. Bald eagles this time of year will feed on mice escaping flooded fields which are spread throughout the Klamath basin. They also feed on waterfowl of which there are thousands although the drought the last couple years has taken its toll. There are hundreds of eagles and other raptors in the region. Here’s a site that will lead to very specific roads around the refuge that run through agricultural lands. Get a good local map and drive these local roads near lower Klamath refuge and around Thule lake. The website will give you current info.

Klamath Basin Bird News - Google Groups
Thanks!!

The eagles in Klamath fall live in the area during the winter but they will be leaving in the next few weeks. They move based on the food and as the weather warms up the duck will begin to migrate and the eagles will start to move toward there summer hunting grounds. There are always a few that stay around all year.

Ea101 is correct the water levels are low this year and could change things up a little.

Back