Landscape or Animalscape?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

NorthernFocus

Supporting Member
Marketplace
This is a portion of the island scene that I posted in another thread. I shot this image because I liked the mossy trees in front of the misty BG and wanted to show more detail than in the wide angle version. During PP I noticed an eagle in one of the trees. Does that make this an animalscape? :rolleyes:

D810/24-120@120mm

p3003983593-6.jpg

can you post a higher res version…. Not sure what I’m seeing so I’d have to call it a landscape…. But then I’m heading to optician this afternoon (true 😃). Like the moody atmosphere

Honestly, I'm not able to see the Eagle, so, in my opinion, this is a landscape photo. To be an animalscape the animals must be more present in the photos.
For me, animalscape photos must be similar to the example below. Two amazing shots of Stefano Unthertiner, an Italian guy.
The first one won the WPI some years ago.
01.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
02.JPG

My take is that the first two images are landscapes, because that's what takes up the majority of the real estate. Sure, the second one has birds in it, but in my view is not much of an animalscape if there's too little detail in the birds to easily identify them. The last image shows a stag in the landscape so that can also be classified as an environmental image or animalscape showing the animal in its natural habitat. One pro photographer's opinion is that for an image to be an animalscape, the animal has to anchor the image and then the rest of the image is built or composed around that.

Having said all that , the definition of landscapes and animalscapes and environmental portraits are so loose and undefined we could probably debate the topic until the cows come home. I think It's very much up to the photographer to label his/her image the way they see it. I tend to evaluate an image based on what it looks like rather than to determine whether it actually fits the description. A rose by any other name......

can you post a higher res version…. Not sure what I’m seeing so I’d have to call it a landscape…. But then I’m heading to optician this afternoon (true 😃). Like the moody atmosphere
Honestly, I'm not able to see the Eagle, so, in my opinion, this is a landscape photo. To be an animalscape the animals must be more present in the photos.
For me, animalscape photos must be similar to the example below. Two amazing shots of Stefano Unthertiner, an Italian guy.
The first one won the WPI some years ago.
View attachment 23938View attachment 23939
Great shot, in either category!
My take is that the first two images are landscapes, because that's what takes up the majority of the real estate. Sure, the second one has birds in it, but in my view is not much of an animalscape if there's too little detail in the birds to easily identify them. The last image shows a stag in the landscape so that can also be classified as an environmental image or animalscape showing the animal in its natural habitat. One pro photographer's opinion is that for an image to be an animalscape, the animal has to anchor the image and then the rest of the image is built or composed around that.

Having said all that , the definition of landscapes and animalscapes and environmental portraits are so loose and undefined we could probably debate the topic until the cows come home. I think It's very much up to the photographer to label his/her image the way they see it. I tend to evaluate an image based on what it looks like rather than to determine whether it actually fits the description. A rose by any other name......
Thanks for the replies, folks. The OP and title were made tongue in cheek. As said I shot this as and intended it to be a landscape. I only noticed the bird when I looked at it full rez to see how the NR treatment had worked. D810 isn't exactly known for low noise performance. At any rate, there is indeed a bird there per below. Not surprising considering where we were near a busy salmon stream. You could petty much take a shot at random in any direction and there would likel be an eagle in the frame.

_8109852_DN1-2.jpg

Back