Landscape or wildlife?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

EricBowles

Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
I was at the Okefenokee last week and on the water early in the morning. We were treated to little blue herons leaving their roost and flying over Billy's lake with the faint light of sunrise and some beautiful colors. I'm calling it a landscape - but it did have 47 little blue herons as the subject or accent. OI was in a canoe shooting handheld with a Z7ii and 70-200 S f/2.8 lens. This was at ISO 6400, f/5, and 1/1000 sec - all compromises in the low light. The colors had a unique palette of pink, blue, orange and green. For the final print I'll spend a bit more time using Topaz for sharpening and noise reduction.

I like this kind of landscape - something with wildlife, color or a unique location making the image. The Okefenokee has these beautiful swamp cypress with fall color draped with Spanish moss, and a lot of wildlife.

Okefenokee_11-17-2021_359505.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

beautiful shot Eric. As for your question "landscape or wildlife", my answer would be "yes."

Some photographs just tell a story without being labeled as any particular genre, this is one of them. I really like this one.

Jeff

Very nice image. This is one time when I would have stayed until the birds were gone and taken some very small aperture long exposure time shots for the trees and the water. By habit from my wildlife shooting I do not take nearly enough long exposure shots (as in 1 minute or more) with my landscape images.

Thanks, everyone.

I had a couple of days to experience the flight of these early birds. In all, there were probably 100+ little blue herons. The first day I did not anticipate the number of birds coming in waves, and was slow to correct my shutter speed. This day was better. The scene was originally planned as a landscape with a much lower ISO and slower shutter speed. I was at f/4 to f/5, ISO 400, and 1/60 to 1/80 sec before seeing the birds. But the birds required a change to a fast shutter speed and a related ISO increase. My approach was to adjust shutter speed to 1/1000 sec and flip ISO to Auto ISO as quickly as possible.

Lovely image, Eric. You've captured a real sense of place, and I can imagine myself being there. Love the composition, light, and of course the subject matter.

I was at the Okefenokee last week and on the water early in the morning. We were treated to little blue herons leaving their roost and flying over Billy's lake with the faint light of sunrise and some beautiful colors. I'm calling it a landscape - but it did have 47 little blue herons as the subject or accent. OI was in a canoe shooting handheld with a Z7ii and 70-200 S f/2.8 lens. This was at ISO 6400, f/5, and 1/1000 sec - all compromises in the low light. The colors had a unique palette of pink, blue, orange and green. For the final print I'll spend a bit more time using Topaz for sharpening and noise reduction.

I like this kind of landscape - something with wildlife, color or a unique location making the image. The Okefenokee has these beautiful swamp cypress with fall color draped with Spanish moss, and a lot of wildlife.

View attachment 27800
Porque no los dos? I like it either way you classify it. Very tranquil setting. Nice shot.

View attachment 27800
Beautiful landscape with some birds in it. :) Now I wish I had gone with you.

JIM

@EricBowles Beautiful image, Eric! Rather landscape IMO. becasue the eye wanders to the trees, water, light, etc... The place would be also nice without birds but they give

So, the wildlife makes addition to landscape and not a vice-versa like, for example, in environmental portrait.
Thanks, Elena. I would have considered this particular time of day, lighting, and subject matter to be a landscape with wildlife for interest. But as you point out, there are lots of opportunities for wildlife in an environmental context.

On the other hand, it's probably one of my very few ISO 6400 landscapes.

Back