Landscape photo critique

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hope it's OK to post this here, but there's no landscape critique forum.
I've been camping on public near Granby, CO the last couple of days.
Yesterday I did a hike with my dog and captured this scene.
I liked the contrast of the leafless Aspens and the green grasses and the abstractness of it.
I like the photo but feel it could be better.
I'm hoping to get some opinions from the group.
Thanks in advance.

060323CampsiteHikenearGranbyCO02Small.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Since you were on a walk with your dog, I am assuming you only had that one lens with you? If you had a telephoto lens as well, I think a tight shot of the thick band of trees along the very top would be nice.

Landscapes are a part of Nature, so posting here is fine. Here are my thoughts, but just that. Only thoughts from someone who didn't take the photo. ;)

First, did you try many different compositions? The term often used is "work the scene/subject". I would be interested in seeing other compositions you created. If you wanted an abstract, perhaps not including the road would have made a better composition.

For this scene, I find it a bit flat regarding contrast. Below I lowered the whites to get more detail in the trees, and increased the blacks to add more depth and contrast.

Baseline.jpg

Then working with only this composition, I tried to find a stronger composition, and came up with this. The road is now a leading line into the image, but I don't know that it is better than the original.
Baseline - crop 1.jpg

Attachments

• Baseline - crop 1.jpg
    Baseline - crop 1.jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 41
Fred and Karen, thank you for you input and advice.
I know that this wasn't a great picture but thought maybe with some adjustments and refinements there might be a little something there.

Fred, yes I only had my wide angle lens with me.
I agree with you about the the row of trees in the back.

Karen, I went back and added some more contrast and some other adjustments.
This is what I came up with.

060323CampsiteHikenearGranbyCO02SmallA.jpg

Karen, thank you.

I do like the new version better.
I think if I work with it a little more it could look even better.
I was thinking of maybe cropping of of the left side more.
I'll let it sit for now and come back to it later.

Back