Landscape vs Wildlife

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

What an eye opener to experience the difference between the two. I have gained immense respect (or perhaps sympathy?) for landscape photographers.
What a boring blooming lot they are 😂 and now I want to do that too :rolleyes:

We buy large memory cards for wildlife - extra batteries - long lenses, whereas the poor landscape buggers have a humble set up, carry themselves stupid on the tripod over rocks and through valleys - and don't have battery or memory card issues. and when you have a 10 min exposure - and for some reason the camera all by itself decided to bracket - you stand like a fool for 30 min while you wait.. and wait... and wait...
I mean you stand on the beach for 2 hours and get 5 images which you download - and then double check to see where the rest of the images are only to realise - there isnt anymore! :oops:

To all landscape photographers. Respect. You dont get the admiration you deserve.

View attachment 74297

Winston, I chuckled at your commentary. My wife and I both do photography and while I'm open to doing both wildlife and landscape she avoids landscape work. Firstly, she loves critters (especially four-legged ones with fur), and secondly she finds landscapes BORING! (Her emphasis, not mine.)

Winston, I chuckled at your commentary. My wife and I both do photography and while I'm open to doing both wildlife and landscape she avoids landscape work. Firstly, she loves critters (especially four-legged ones with fur), and secondly she finds landscapes BORING! (Her emphasis, not mine.)
Thank you for your comment :giggle:

When I look at a landscape photo I love, I think about what is it that draws me in....if I'm transported to that place and feel it, it works. The energy, or serenity, and character of place. Yours does this.

In the same way, when I think of wildlife photos that move me, it usually is if I can see the personality of the bird or animal, learn their story, and subconsciously find myself in their world. I've seen many on this forum. It's why I follow it, and learn, along with learning about technique and equipment.

I want to add a 2nd body to my mix soon, specifically so I can learn/do more landscape, while still having a wildlife setup ready in case an opportunity comes up, as you mentioned. At least maybe with landscape, my shutter count won't suffer too much! Unless I get into focus stacking, I guess...:)

When I look at a landscape photo I love, I think about what is it that draws me in....if I'm transported to that place and feel it, it works. The energy, or serenity, and character of place. Yours does this.

In the same way, when I think of wildlife photos that move me, it usually is if I can see the personality of the bird or animal, learn their story, and subconsciously find myself in their world. I've seen many on this forum. It's why I follow it, and learn, along with learning about technique and equipment.

I want to add a 2nd body to my mix soon, specifically so I can learn/do more landscape, while still having a wildlife setup ready in case an opportunity comes up, as you mentioned. At least maybe with landscape, my shutter count won't suffer too much! Unless I get into focus stacking, I guess...:)
Thank you Alan for a really beautiful comment. It is much appreciated.
I find often that one can look ar a landscape - and enjoy it - but it simply doesn't translate into an image. I think Landscape photographers work very hard for very little return. And I think mostly people enjoy wildlife more - yet landscapes are what brings tranquility. Maybe I do it more for myself than for someone else. But I tell you - it is opening new worlds for me in terms of shooting opportunities.

I use the Z9 currently for Landscapes - and the Z8 for birds. You might ask why - weight. Plain and simple weight But I can switch at the drop of a hat. I recon I can use a 8gig card for Landscapes and will still have space left 😂

Back