Laowa macro lens

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

After my research (including Michael Widel’s videos and others) I’m thinking the Laowa 85mm is a good choice. I’m only planning on using it for insect or other closeup images so I don’t need the 2.8 aperture you get with the 90mm. The size, weight, and mobility of the 85mm is very appealing.

I use the 100mm version with my Nikon D500 and have zero complaints. I expect you'd get similar results with the 90mm.

View attachment 93131
Rick, I looked through your gallery and some of your previous posts. You have a great collection of macro images! One of your posts mentioned getting the images during a “night walk”. What was your souce of lighting for focussing?

After my research (including Michael Widel’s videos and others) I’m thinking the Laowa 85mm is a good choice. I’m only planning on using it for insect or other closeup images so I don’t need the 2.8 aperture you get with the 90mm. The size, weight, and mobility of the 85mm is very appealing.
I keep holding out, hoping they will make a Weather sealed version with auto focus that might not ever happen but if it does, they have my money lol

Rick, I looked through your gallery and some of your previous posts. You have a great collection of macro images! One of your posts mentioned getting the images during a “night walk”. What was your souce of lighting for focussing?
Thanks! I wear a small head lamp and it illuminates the diffuser enough to provide a soft light for focusing. I use a Nitecore NU25 myself, but any small bright head lamp will work. The Meike flash I use also has a built in LED light to help with focusing, but it seems to drain the batteries so fast that I only use it when I really have to.

Thanks! I wear a small head lamp and it illuminates the diffuser enough to provide a soft light for focusing. I use a Nitecore NU25 myself, but any small bright head lamp will work. The Meike flash I use also has a built in LED light to help with focusing, but it seems to drain the batteries so fast that I only use it when I really have to.
Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

Have we considered one of these two options in FRONT of our existing macro lenses?

That way we get to keep our autofocus.
The Raynox is prolly the next best thing to an actual macro lens, but for cost saving reasons. You'll find that auto focus is pretty unreliable for macro and you'll likely end up using manual for the best results anyway. At least in my experience.

Have we considered one of these two options in FRONT of our existing macro lenses?

That way we get to keep our autofocus.
Eddie, I saw the Raynox and it sounds interesting. I can’t say anything substantive since I haven’t tried it. It does have good reviews. Personally I’m just not a big believer in teleconverters for lenses and these are basically teleconverters, but I understand how others might feel differently. Rick also made some very good points.

The Raynox is prolly the next best thing to an actual macro lens, but for cost saving reasons. You'll find that auto focus is pretty unreliable for macro and you'll likely end up using manual for the best results anyway. At least in my experience.
Rick you are correct. However, what I do is use BBF to get me close and then move back and forth for focus and composition. Best of both worlds!

Rick you are correct. However, what I do is use BBF to get me close and then move back and forth for focus and composition. Best of both worlds!
You get used to the manual focus fast enough. I even managed to get these with my 100mm Laowa.

Sso1ZK7.jpeg

_DSC1683-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back