Laptop (Windows) advice.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

With Windows 11, which is all that is available on a new computer, you get an operating system that is designed to provide control over all your data and communications to be syphoned off by Microsoft and sent to agencies to be used in ways you cannot begin to imagine. Apple has been alone in providing privacy protection for its customers.

The Apple OS provides 50% greater efficiency in its use of computer hardware and is far less vulnerable to hacking. I had less difficulty setting up my first Apple computer and integrating it with my office network than I did when migrating to Windows XP from Windows 2000. Microsoft continues to move key applications to different places and to it becomes a new learning experience with each new iteration of their operating system. With Windows 11 they did it again and to an even greater degree than with Windows 10.

I bought two laptops that were not really needed but they had Windows 10 installed. They are spares as I will never use Windows 11 and even the high priced Mac computers are preferable. The higher initial cost fo the Apple computers is offset by the time and dollar savings from not having to run registry cleanup and disc cleanup and spyware and other tools that I spend time with on a weekly basis with the Windows computers. I have been dealing with the support issues peculiar to Windows computers for the past 30 years and the core design has not changed and adding more layers does not truly mitigate these deficiencies.

I've just got a 16" Lenovo Thinkpad P1 Gen 4 and for the first time in my life I have a laptop that is better than my desktop. IPS screen and M.2 chips instead of SSDs make it really fast. Best of all is that I got mine used at 11 months old for just £685 and the guy threw in a Peli case that is worth £160!!

Last edited:
Are you comfortable doing a bit of post-purchase tinkering? If so, consider an Acer Aspire 5 with a Ryzen 5 series processor. Then, open up the back and replace the NVMe SSD drive with a 1 TB drive, and add a 1 TB SATA drive in the empty slot (or, any size your heart desires). Also, add an 8 GB RAM chip in the available slot.. The Ryzen 5 series with 16 GBs of RAM performs exceptionally well and matches, or exceeds, the performance of the Intel i7 series. (Be sure the added chip matches the speed of the factory installed one.) FWIW, I installed a dual boot on mine (Linux Mint & Windows 10), and its capabilities far exceed my limited skills.

I've never used a Mac, but if performance, battery life and lightness matter, I don't know that there is a Windows machine that can compete. However, if we ceed the battery life and lightness, things change a bit. I typically purchase Lenovo engineering workstations off of Ebay. My current one is a Lenovo Thinkpad P15 Gen 2 with an 11th generation i7 processor, 32GB ram (expandable to 128GB), 3 NVMe drive bays (or 4, I can't remember; I have 3 HDs in mine) and an Nvidia RTX3000. I gave around $1400 for it. It's a big, black brick that weighs plenty and uses a lot of power (230amp), but it flies. I also like the fact that I can have all of my HDs internal.

My health has necessitated a move from my country idyl to an urban seniors community which requires considersble downsizing. So, my beloved desktop, built by me, will have to go.

Can I get some advice on a good laptop to replace it? It will need to handle Photolab, Phooshop and Lightroom Classic.
I do a lot of processing on the laptop screen:
Another vote for the Dell XPS 15
with the NVIDIA GeForceGTX1650 GPU
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10885H CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
Pen and touch Touch support with 10 touch points

Processes that use the GPU LRC, PS, and Topaz are screaming fast.
I also recommend this article: https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/best-laptops-for-photographers

The Asus ProArt laptops are amazing. I got the 2.3Ghz i7 14 core 16" ASUS ProArt StudioBook OLED 16 Laptop with the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti (16GB GDDR6) video card as it was being discontinued for about $2,000 and upgraded to 64GB of RAM. There are other models with other processors available. Wonderful resolution and screen with some features for photo editing software. Keep an eye on the daily deals at B&H.
I also have the Asus ProArt from BH. All I can say is WOW. It has my Vote. It is made and setup for artist and Photographers. It has a wide Gamut display and can show 100% adobe color. FYI BH I think still has them on special for about $1799

My health has necessitated a move from my country idyl to an urban seniors community which requires considersble downsizing. So, my beloved desktop, built by me, will have to go.

Can I get some advice on a good laptop to replace it? It will need to handle Photolab, Phooshop and Lightroom Classic.
I update my laptop regularly.
So I try to get value for money - about US$400 will buy a good laptop.
If I were to spend more then in a year or two a new $400 laptop would out perform it.
My present one is from HP but there are many out there ... 🦘

If I were to spend more then in a year or two a new $400 laptop would out perform it.
Are you running LR Classic on these laptops?

--Ken

With Windows 11, which is all that is available on a new computer, you get an operating system that is designed to provide control over all your data and communications to be syphoned off by Microsoft and sent to agencies to be used in ways you cannot begin to imagine. Apple has been alone in providing privacy protection for its customers.
Just went to Win 11 from Win 10. Just log on with a local account and that monitoring is disabled. Don't log in with a Microsoft account. I much prefer 11 to 10.

For a Windows laptop my choices are between HP and Lenovo as these companies provide very good post sale tech support. What I like about the Lenovo laptops is that they come with the IBM Trackpoint that eliminates the need for a mouse. Much easier to go mouseless when using the laptop at a cafe or on a plane and other places where there is very limited space available.

I do a lot of processing on the laptop screen:
Another vote for the Dell XPS 15
with the NVIDIA GeForceGTX1650 GPU
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10885H CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
Pen and touch Touch support with 10 touch points

Processes that use the GPU LRC, PS, and Topaz are screaming fast.
I also recommend this article: https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/best-laptops-for-photographers
Sorry! I was reading this thread and accidentally touched this reply on my iPad and I can’t make it go away. I am a Mac user but occasionally I help with PC problems, so I try to keep current.

A few years ago, I was facing a similar downsizing, and turned to my daughter to help me select a good laptop for photo editing. She strongly urged me to purchase a high-end MacBook Pro, which set me back about $4200. I tried mightily, but just couldn’t make the transition from Windows to an Apple desktop without endless frustration, so I ended up giving it to her (please, no comments about that being her original intent! 🥴). I ended up finding an excellent new Lenovo Thinkpad on sale at B&H, and have been extremely pleased ever since. Its equipped with state of the art processors, 32 GB RAM, 4K display, advanced graphics cards, and 1 TB SSD. Technology has only improved since I bought mine, but I believe an equivalent in today’s market would be https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1745683-REG/lenovo_82wq002rus_16_legion_pro_7.html.

Best of luck!
I could write the same scenario - my granddaughter ended up with mine and MY Lenova is great!

Problem with the cheaper laptops is in the screens. They can only show about 60% of sRGB where the higher end ones will give you 100% sRGB and the top ones close to 100% of RGB.

Purchased an upgraded graphics page for my Lenova - made a huge difference.

And, of course, you can connect a monitor that is better than the built-in screen, but kinda takes away the convenience of a laptop. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad G4 that makes it the first laptop I've had that is better than my desktop and can match my Eizo monitor. Got it used at 11 months old for a steal. I had my last 2 laptops for over 10 years each!

Suggest going to their website and check out various models and upgrade options. Think you will find what you are looking for.
Thanks, but I am not actually buying right now, and Lenovo has more lines of laptops than I can count these days. I was mostly trying to understand if your upgrade package gave you a better panel. Upgrading the GPU or integrated graphics alone will not necessarily give you an improved color gamut since the monitor panel is eventually the bottleneck as @dabhand16 referred to above.

--Ken

Thanks, but I am not actually buying right now, and Lenovo has more lines of laptops than I can count these days. I was mostly trying to understand if your upgrade package gave you a better panel. Upgrading the GPU or integrated graphics alone will not necessarily give you an improved color gamut since the monitor panel is eventually the bottleneck as @dabhand16 referred to above.

--Ken
Build your own options exists - one can select from various graphics packages, monitor options and other configurations. I have a Thinkpad with upgraded graphic package, monitor and memory.
I have a ThinkPad Carbon I9

Last edited:
Build your own options exists - one can select from various graphics packages, monitor options and other configurations. I have a Thinkpad with upgraded graphic package, monitor and memory.
I know they used to have limited options when the T-series was their primary model, but even then they did offer screen upgrades, albeit at a price. I still have a basic Yoga model I picked up a few years ago that is good for basic duty. That screen had 99% sRGB, which was one of the reasons that I chose it. I needed a portable editing laptop that could handle LR Classic at the time, and it was fine for the job.

--Ken

I have always been a PC user and have been reluctant to go with an Apple. The few times I have used Apple it drove me crazy.

I went with a Razer Blade 15. I ended up buying the top of the line with a 4k OLED screen, top of the line graphics card, 1tb hard drive and 32gb RAM plus I9 processor. Cost me 4k at the time but I was getting the latest model.

I later added external storage including a RAID 5 array for handling files.

The screen on the laptop is top quality. If I knew I was not going to move it around a lot I would have gone for the 17 inch model. I am using it with two external 4k monitors. I think one external 4k monitor is enough but get it color calibrated if you do your own printing.

I should mention I have also worked with Surface Books in the past. The Surface Studio should be an idea;l laptop for this kind of work.

Expect to pay top dollar and go for the best.

Don't overlook for the ultimate power the "mobile workstations" being sold at places like connection.com. Their emphasis is on power and not weight or battery life unlike laptops.
The 16 inch Mac Pro has been great for my wife's needs and the Mac operating system is far superior to any version of Windows.

The best post sale support is going to be from HP, Lenovo, and Apple. These three companies still employ support people in the USA and their native language is English which can help a great deal. With Dell one may as well be buying something made in China. No company has done as much offshoring of jobs as Dell.

Back