Learning a New Lens

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Wink Jones

Supporting Member
Marketplace
It is amazing how quick things can disappear when you are no longer a puppy.

I bought a new lens for my trip to Portugal. Had a terrible time with it on my camera in Lisbon. I was walking up and down the hills of central Lisbon and my photographer friend, Fernando Santos, who met with me for that one Saturday saw a monster big Peacock on the roof of a building and made peacock noises at it. It got all puffed up and made noises back, but not really offended My voice no longer goes that high, so I whistled sharply at it and it went nuts! I could not get my lens to release a shot for all the tea in China.

Finally, after it was too late to get a picture, Fernando came over and looked at my camera. "Wink, why are you shooting video?"

It seems my new camera bag that I got to fit my Z9 was simply wanting me to take video and moved the lever to video every time I put it in or took it our of the bag, I had a total of four or five pictures for the time I was in Portugal on my camera and a couple hundred on my iPhone. Some of them were great shots too.

BUT, I just spent a bunch of bucks for a new Nikon 70 to 200 2.8 S lens for my Z. Yesterday I decided to get off my behind and get back into taking photos with my camera. So, I watched the how to video from Señor Steve and did the upgrade to 4.0. I read nine pages of comments about the upgrade and watched several videos.

Today, right after Butlerkid welcomed me back, I left the house and went to Katheryn Albertson Park and started taking photos, one at a time of many different subjects. Most of them were boring as heck!

So, what did I learn?

1. I learned that the reason I could not get a close up focus was because I had the selector switch set to Infinity to 5m rather than full. Once I took that off, I got some good close ups. Not exciting, but good.

2. I started out with my B Bank set up. Along the way I changed to single shot and manual from the Shutter Speed I had been using. I changed my ISO to what ever I needed it to be rather than using Auto and some of my pictures were over or underexposed. Of the fifty or so photos I took, maybe thirty were printable, but boring as HECK!

3. If you change your set up, remember to load settings when you are done. When I did that my Manual setting returned to Shutter and auto ISO and 1/4000, but I still had to manually change the mode to ten thousand frames per second...

4. I learned the 70 - 200 is one heck of a great lens, with tack sharp focus if you let it.

5. I learned, again, how challenging and fun it can be to just walk a couple of miles and take photos for the heck of it. I was nearly alone in this beautiful park. Of course it was 92 degrees and the clouds that would have given me soft focus light disappeared and I got more light than I wanted. I finished my walk with the three miles I shoot for every day. (When you are 76 and overweight, you must constantly be moving it or you will be losing it...)

6. I have not mastered either my camera or my lens, but I am much happier with both of them than I was in Portugal where I ended up leaving the camera at home most days.

Here are the only two that I will share from the shoot today. Not because they are wall hangers, but because I had so much fun taking them
Learning a new lens-1141.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Learning a new lens-1150.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Great story. I find all photography a challenge. My composition is getting better, but I tend to rush and as a result flit from one subject to another forgetting that I ought to change settings. Still, with a new camera and lens, it's a learning curve. Another 4 years I'll have nailed it! 🤣

Welcome back and GREAT story! Yes, new cameras can often make us feel like we've never used a camera before! Quite humbling.........

What sort of critique are you interested In?

Good morning, Bill. I only did a little lighting on both of these pics. darkened the background and brightened the subject. I did not crop, which both need, nor did I sharpen or remove any noise. This was mainly a fun story of an afternoon well misspent.

Great story. I find all photography a challenge. My composition is getting better, but I tend to rush and as a result flit from one subject to another forgetting that I ought to change settings. Still, with a new camera and lens, it's a learning curve. Another 4 years I'll have nailed it! 🤣

Thank you, Patrick. I am aiming for another ten good years, and I suspect the Z9 is already my last "real" camera. At this point, I am not sure I will ever "nail" it, but I am going to have fun trying...

Welcome back and GREAT story! Yes, new cameras can often make us feel like we've never used a camera before! Quite humbling.........

So true! Next year I am aiming to return to Portugal and then travel with my daughter and her daughters to Italy. The year after to Spain and the Costa Rica. I would like to do them with a camera in hand that is not trying to trick me into taking videos.

The other embarrassing thing was when I went to put my 20mm 1.8 lens on for a sunrise shoot, only to realize the converter for a DSLR lens to the Z camera was on the 500mm PF lens I did not bring to Portugal. I had a bag full of lenses and only one of them was a Z. Sigh. At that moment, I felt far more than a little humbled...

Back