Learning low light technique with a d500...

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

AlanB313

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hi All- I'm new to the forum and I'm learning from reading your posts, thanks. Here's a couple of low light photos. The Western screech owl comes out of its hole at the same time every night, so it's a stakeout situation. This photo is handheld, I need to invest in a gimbal head but I'm still "recovering" from buying a used 500mm PF.
The Common poorwill took careful tracking down an eastern Sierra dirt road. Lighting is from our headlights. We were able to approach very slowly, I got out and belly slithered the rest of the way.
Any thoughts are welcome. I'm still using Studio NX for post processing, once I can upgrade my ancient laptop, I'll subscribe (I guess) to PS and Lightroom.
DSC_6754__1_01.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Hi All- I'm new to the forum and I'm learning from reading your posts, thanks. Here's a couple of low light photos. The Western screech owl comes out of its hole at the same time every night, so it's a stakeout situation. This photo is handheld, I need to invest in a gimbal head but I'm still "recovering" from buying a used 500mm PF.
The Common poorwill took careful tracking down an eastern Sierra dirt road. Lighting is from our headlights. We were able to approach very slowly, I got out and belly slithered the rest of the way.
Any thoughts are welcome. I'm still using Studio NX for post processing, once I can upgrade my ancient laptop, I'll subscribe (I guess) to PS and Lightroom.
View attachment 67653

NX Studio actually does a really nice job on D500 images with high ISO. I used to find those frustrating as the colours tend to shift, and NX Studio seems to correct for that better than, say, Capture One.

I would crop out the largest patch of sky in the owl image, as that distracts from the animal. You could try adjusting levels to increase contrast; beyond that I would be very careful editing as you can easily end up with an image that looks over-processed.

Thanks JP, I'll try both suggestions. Especially learning how to use NX studio for better noise reduction. Good suggestion for the owl, if it uses the same hole again I'll try to reposition my shooting location to avoid the sky.
I know what you mean about overdoing on the editing, I've done that.
Poorwills are a good subject, as they tend to freeze as a defensive mechanism. I went out the other night again, found plenty but didn't get any usable images. I'll go back when there's a full moon.

Any thoughts are welcome.
A good tripod would help a ton, but you don't necessarily need to invest in a gimbal head to get going. A decent ball head would give you the stability you need and for static subjects there really aren't tracking problems with a ball head or pan-tilt head.

That said, there are lot's of ways to get increased stability without a tripod, placing the camera on something like a bean bag or rolled up jacket on top of a fence, a convenient rock, heck even a step ladder you carry with your or the roof of a car can dramatically increase camera stability and allow the use of much slower shutter speeds for subjects as still as most roosting owls.

Thanks. I have a heavy tripod for a spotting scope I sometimes use but elected not to take it on the last poorwill hike, as it's a straight up hike. 1000 ft per mile, 1.5 miles. The poorwills forage on the road and we see them on the way down in the darkening twilight. I'm taking it next time. It has a video head that is OK but a gimbal might work better.
I definitely plan on working with it on the next owling trip.
The poorwill shot I posted benefited from a being at ground level, a bean bag is a great idea. I steadied the camera on my fist.

Thanks Charles, good idea. On the gimbal: I'm using a fluid video head now that I normally use with a spotting scope. It just doesn't work as nicely with a long lens and camera as it does with the scope. I'm going to try to borrow a gimbal from a friend to try one out.

Back